Author Topic: Carbonda fm936 Thoughts  (Read 372326 times)

adroitrider

Re: Carbonda fm936 Thoughts
« Reply #825 on: September 24, 2020, 09:37:41 PM »
Looks very nice. The speed on the Threaded BB frame has improved and they must have some in stock.

You will need to have the bottom bracket removed to thread the dropper housing through the frame.

ChasingBikes

« Reply #826 on: September 24, 2020, 11:00:26 PM »
Does this naked carbon interface on the inside of the chainstay with the rear wheel endcap look right to you?
Other carbon frames I’ve had all had metal plates on the inside of the chainstay that bolted through to the outside, similar to the driveside.

Colt__Seavers

« Reply #827 on: September 24, 2020, 11:29:09 PM »
Does this naked carbon interface on the inside of the chainstay with the rear wheel endcap look right to you?
Other carbon frames I’ve had all had metal plates on the inside of the chainstay that bolted through to the outside, similar to the driveside.
That's absolutely fine!

carbonazza

« Reply #828 on: September 25, 2020, 04:36:54 AM »

I love how buying direct generate some doubts and fears over quality.
While buying a branded bike does not  ;)

carbonazza

« Reply #829 on: September 25, 2020, 04:38:37 AM »
...Ordered a medium custom painted, standard weight, frame about a month ago...
Damn ! Carbonda do not like me it seems.
They still did not deliver mine(along two others) ordered beginning of July  ::)

theirishrider

« Reply #830 on: September 25, 2020, 05:51:36 AM »
Other carbon frames I’ve had all had metal plates on the inside of the chainstay that bolted through to the outside, similar to the drive side.
It's fine because the Thru-Axle takes the load and transfers it to the frame through the walls of the hole! The shoulder is just for seating the wheel.

theirishrider

« Reply #831 on: September 25, 2020, 05:56:18 AM »
Damn ! Carbonda do not like me it seems.
They still did not deliver mine(along with two others) ordered the beginning of July :)
Did you ask them what's the problem?
Weirdddd, Mine took around 3 weeks from order to from PayPal to ship! 
Finally, my BTLOS wheels arrived (1 month lead time but I had to get them to order special hubs from their supplier) but I'm in another country so I look forward to getting home to build and try the bike!!

wfl3

« Reply #832 on: September 25, 2020, 07:16:16 AM »
I swapped out the 100m 32sc (44 offset) for a 120mm 34sc (51 offset) and my initial thoughts are it rides better with the longer fork, a bit more predictable and a bit more comfortable as well.

Unfortunately, after my last ride I noticed a very small amount of play in the non-drive side lower pivot.  Pivot bolt is tight, but still just a small amount of side to side play now.  I have almost 500 miles on the frame.    :-(

I'm guessing I need a thicker washer/spacer?  Anyone else had to remedy this?

Pharaohollie

« Reply #833 on: September 27, 2020, 04:45:12 AM »
So for the past several rides I've taken off the Fox DPS 164x42.5 and fitted a RockShox Deluxe RLR 165x37.5mm (which is a remote shock, but I don't have a remote for it yet). At the same sag (by percentage of stroke), the RLR feels more taut under pedaling and rides higher in the travel, but easier to bottom out on bigger hits (but it doesn't feel like a harsh bottom out on small to medium sized drops, though). Still feels plenty plush on rough trails.

My ideal setup now would be to run the RLR with a SID 120 fork both on a Full Sprint type remote. Alas, the Suntour Aion I currently have is so smooth and that I just don't want to spend the extra cash on the SID. I have a 2017 Cannondale Scalpel in my quiver with a Full Sprint lockout setup, so maybe I'll just leave the 936 as it is without lockouts.

Also, Adam @ Carbonda finally shipped me my replacement linkage. Will post an updage once I recieve it and check if they actually rectified the issue which is imprecise tolerances at the upper shock span.

« Last Edit: September 27, 2020, 04:49:34 AM by Pharaohollie »

adroitrider

« Reply #834 on: September 28, 2020, 02:51:51 PM »
So for the past several rides I've taken off the Fox DPS 164x42.5 and fitted a RockShox Deluxe RLR 165x37.5mm (which is a remote shock, but I don't have a remote for it yet). At the same sag (by percentage of stroke), the RLR feels more taut under pedaling and rides higher in the travel, but easier to bottom out on bigger hits (but it doesn't feel like a harsh bottom out on small to medium sized drops, though). Still feels plenty plush on rough trails.

My ideal setup now would be to run the RLR with a SID 120 fork both on a Full Sprint type remote. Alas, the Suntour Aion I currently have is so smooth and that I just don't want to spend the extra cash on the SID. I have a 2017 Cannondale Scalpel in my quiver with a Full Sprint lockout setup, so maybe I'll just leave the 936 as it is without lockouts.

Also, Adam @ Carbonda finally shipped me my replacement linkage. Will post an updage once I recieve it and check if they actually rectified the issue which is imprecise tolerances at the upper shock span.

I too would like a lock out and will get the kit for the SidLuxe Ultimate prior to a potential 2021 Breck Epic.

Is the upper shock mount the one in question? My frame’s upper shock mount wasn’t quite square. It was wide at the back and narrow at the front. I had to bring the shock eye and RWC bearing kit from the rear and slide into position. Then attach the trunnion bolts.

Colt__Seavers

« Reply #835 on: September 29, 2020, 01:09:22 AM »
I took out the rear derailleur hanger and I saw that there is only 4-5mm of carbon fiber around the big hole of the metal insert. I'm pretty astonished to see such thin area at this position. Sure the force from drops propagates upwards to the chunkier part, but still it looks fragile on a XC frame.

theirishrider

« Reply #836 on: September 29, 2020, 05:53:11 AM »
I took out the rear derailleur hanger and I saw that there is only 4-5mm of carbon fibre around the big hole of the metal insert. I'm pretty astonished to see such thin area at this position. Sure the force from drops propagates upwards to the chunkier part, but still, it looks fragile on a XC frame.

It' thin sure but don't know if it's too thin. The specialized epic has the same:

https://forums.mtbr.com/attachments/weight-weenies/1156933d1504972135-new-build-2018-s-works-epic-hardtail-di2-20170907_193723.jpg
https://bikerumor.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/Specialized-Epic-hardtail-HT-2020-xc-race-carbon-Brain-fork-actual-weight-17.jpg

lRaphl

« Reply #837 on: September 29, 2020, 07:17:19 AM »
Just to remind you that in the good old days of QR on the back that small 4-5mm part was in fact fully open (no material at all) and as long as your QR was tightened properly there was no problem.

wfl3

« Reply #838 on: September 29, 2020, 08:50:33 AM »
Update on the lower pivot movement:

Msg'd Adam and he said to cut the pivot axle down to 80mm.  I pulled it apart and measured it at 82.5mm, so I filed it down to 81mm, cleaned everything up and reassembled and the play is completely gone now.  I think I'll leave it at 81mm for now.

Also checked out the bearings in the process and they are still very smooth.

jever98

« Reply #839 on: September 29, 2020, 11:46:47 AM »
Grease only with a press fit bottom bracket. Any locker of any kind will cause headaches down the road. Guaranteed.
I'd bet the creaking is coming from the stem, handlebar or seatpost

Nooo :-). Loctite 641 (medium strength, for press fits) with activator spray. You can still remove it OK, but have a secure fit.