Author Topic: Carbonda fm936 Thoughts  (Read 374663 times)

adroitrider

Re: Carbonda fm936 Thoughts
« Reply #1095 on: November 18, 2020, 10:02:44 AM »
Do you put Ti bolts on your calipers ?

I am not sure what came with XOs from ten years ago, I swapped them over to Level Ultimate I am using now as the ones I picked up did not come with bolts. I need to get shorter bolts because the Ultimates don't use the crazy conical washer system.

There is a risk of the bolt seizing so ti-prep or something similar is important.

theirishrider

« Reply #1096 on: November 18, 2020, 10:29:03 AM »
Better saving weight on rotating parts.

You can save 70-100g on the cassette for 100 € (9-50T from ali)
180g on the bracket
100g on pedals

80-100g on bar/stem for 80€ (integrated from ali)
This is the only thing i can see with reasonable budget.
I echo QuentinLL's comments!  I got the XT cassette for this reason. According to r2bike, You can save 60g between XT 12s and SLX 12s for less than 35 euro.

However, Rotating weight makes a trivial difference unless you're saving 1kg or such per wheel. https://www.reddit.com/r/Velo/comments/29oedw/the_case_against_rotating_weight/
This post sums up my own thoughs as an engineer! :) Ironically, rotational weight could be useful on short sharp climbs!  It is the absolute mass of the bike that one should primarily focus on.

Unless you're commenting on unsprung weight which is more of a kinematic isssue rather than rotational.

Carbon rims will make a difference in the bike's handling feeling no doubt, and will reduce weight overall! I love my 30mm internal btlos wheel with XT hubs (silent!) .

« Last Edit: November 18, 2020, 10:32:36 AM by theirishrider »

reddi

« Reply #1097 on: November 18, 2020, 10:38:41 AM »
You might also consider adding :
  • Stem spacer
  • expander / star
  • rim tape (30g / wheel)
  • sealant (50mL / wheel is not enough i guess)
Hi, you have good eyes ;)
I don't need stem spacers, cockpit shall be as low as possible.
Expander is put together with headset, those are two sets to be bought seperately.
With non-drilled rim bottoms you don't need rim tape ;) But you're right, as am not totally sure on that yet.
and Wolfpack tires are designed to keep the air safely on theyr own (wich makes them a little heavier), so you don't need that much sealant.

now you leaked my build thread. wanted to post it here in the near future. Don't wanted to have too many people seeing what I'm up to.
I really apologize, i didn't think you would mind people seeing what you're doing when posting it into a forum.

I will trust that saying and will also try keep my bike as dry as possible, so the nipples don't see any water.
you could save 40g there

you could save around 60g with extralite grips
you could save a lot with another crank

like others said, dont forget all these small parts. They will also ruin your weight list
Ok, i'm no fan of rainy wheather neither; but worrying about a mountainbike getting wet feels totally wrong to me. I usually clean my bikes with the high pressure cleaner. Maybe i'll have holes in the rim and combine Alu nipples with rim tape, so i can do an inspection after 2 years. Wich would be kind of equal in weight.
Extralite Grips may be light, but don't feel good to me. For now, i was always running ergon lock-on grips. We'll see what can be done there.

Another crank is a good idea. That GX Crankset doesn't look too well anyway.

Focus on the unsprung items: wheels, cassette, rotors and bolts, calipers and bolts. 

For the sprung weight, switch from IPA to red wine and ride everyday.
Haha, indeed i still have 3-4 kg more than i wish to have. But that will be overcome until spring.

I saw that a KCNC or Garbaruk cassette saves a good 100 g, i'll go read some reviews about them.

reddi

« Reply #1098 on: November 18, 2020, 10:54:28 AM »
Better saving weight on rotating parts.

You can save 70-100g on the cassette for 100 € (9-50T from ali)
180g on the bracket
100g on pedals

80-100g on bar/stem for 80€ (integrated from ali)
This is the only thing i can see with reasonable budget.
Hi, at Ali i only find black 9-50 Kassettes wich are heavier than GX and rainbow-shiny ones that ruin my eyes. Did you find the lighter version looking ok somewhere?
Bracket is what i'm reseaching at the Moment. If you know something from Ali, let me know.
Wich SPD pedals do you know that safe 100 g compared to the 272 g XLC? That's already 40 g less than XTR... (and for that price i can afford a new set every year)

carbonazza

« Reply #1099 on: November 18, 2020, 10:56:27 AM »
...With non-drilled rim bottoms you don't need rim tape...
Since we are at milligrams. A rim without holes will weight a bit more.
I'll leave to you to compute the weight difference: no-holes vs. holes + rim tape ;)

jever98

« Reply #1100 on: November 18, 2020, 11:07:45 AM »
@reddi: are these carbonbeam rims? They seem extremely light for the size. Curious if people have experience with them.

100% subjectively: I don't go with chinese hubs anymore. DT Swiss 350 (if budget is a concern) or 240 are so reliable, serviceable, and parts are easy to find. On my wheels with novatec hubs my bearings rusted very quickly after a season of gravel and CX.

I've also gone from 6-bolt to centerlock hubs. It's just so much easier to mount / dismount discs when you have to (travel, etc).

adroitrider

« Reply #1101 on: November 18, 2020, 11:10:16 AM »
I echo QuentinLL's comments!  I got the XT cassette for this reason. According to r2bike, You can save 60g between XT 12s and SLX 12s for less than 35 euro.

However, Rotating weight makes a trivial difference unless you're saving 1kg or such per wheel. https://www.reddit.com/r/Velo/comments/29oedw/the_case_against_rotating_weight/
This post sums up my own thoughs as an engineer! :) Ironically, rotational weight could be useful on short sharp climbs!  It is the absolute mass of the bike that one should primarily focus on.

Unless you're commenting on unsprung weight which is more of a kinematic isssue rather than rotational.

Carbon rims will make a difference in the bike's handling feeling no doubt, and will reduce weight overall! I love my 30mm internal btlos wheel with XT hubs (silent!) .

Yes, referring to full suspension and keeping the bike powered and going the direction you would like to go. Moto GP philosophy of unsprung weight.

reddi

« Reply #1102 on: November 18, 2020, 11:44:22 AM »
Since we are at milligrams. A rim without holes will weight a bit more.
I'll leave to you to compute the weight difference: no-holes vs. holes + rim tape ;)
That was more kind of a quick excuse because i was embarrassed, so don't take it too serious ;)

@reddi: are these carbonbeam rims? They seem extremely light for the size. Curious if people have experience with them.

100% subjectively: I don't go with chinese hubs anymore. DT Swiss 350 (if budget is a concern) or 240 are so reliable, serviceable, and parts are easy to find. On my wheels with novatec hubs my bearings rusted very quickly after a season of gravel and CX.

I've also gone from 6-bolt to centerlock hubs. It's just so much easier to mount / dismount discs when you have to (travel, etc).

Yes, those rims come from carbonbeam. As i weigh 80-85 kg (plus camelbak) and do touring and marathons, I think Rims wich are spec'd for 110 kg riders and "CC, AM, Trail, Enduro" Application should be ok. But it might be a good point, i should do a little research.
I had no issues with novatec hubs so far. Needed a bearing exchange after 3 Years, wich i feel totally fine with.
Centerlock vs. 6-Bolt is a minor question to me, i just like the latter more.

QuentinLL

« Reply #1103 on: November 18, 2020, 01:10:55 PM »
Hi, at Ali i only find black 9-50 Kassettes wich are heavier than GX and rainbow-shiny ones that ruin my eyes. Did you find the lighter version looking ok somewhere?
Bracket is what i'm reseaching at the Moment. If you know something from Ali, let me know.
Wich SPD pedals do you know that safe 100 g compared to the 272 g XLC? That's already 40 g less than XTR... (and for that price i can afford a new set every year)

I bought a rainbow, this is not that shinny...
There is gold as well 375-390g : https://fr.aliexpress.com/item/4000804257262.html?spm=a2g0o.cart.0.0.67473c002KjjXv&mp=1
Or 10-50 grey 360g : https://fr.aliexpress.com/item/4000297745012.html?spm=a2g0o.cart.0.0.67473c002KjjXv&mp=1

For bracket => I bought a Sram XX1 (secound hand). I don't know if there are light / good quality carbon brackets on ali...
« Last Edit: November 18, 2020, 01:12:47 PM by QuentinLL »

jever98

« Reply #1104 on: November 18, 2020, 02:14:32 PM »
for what it's worth I've had very good experience with light bicycle rims. Their weights for gravel and road are competitive, but their 27mm and 30mm internal diameter rims are heavier, which has made me wonder how robust a sub 400g rim that's that wide can be. It would be great to hear people's experiences.

Pharaohollie

« Reply #1105 on: November 19, 2020, 01:46:26 AM »
A question for those who've built up the bike with SID 35 Ultimate/Select: any issues with knocking due to loose bushings or damper leaking oil? I am about to pull the trigger on one but reports of bad QC are scaring me a little.

QuentinLL

« Reply #1106 on: November 19, 2020, 02:16:03 AM »
For those like me who where wondering where to buy a remote controled SIDLuxe. Impossible :

QuentinLL

« Reply #1107 on: November 19, 2020, 02:20:32 AM »
A question for those who've built up the bike with SID 35 Ultimate/Select: any issues with knocking due to loose bushings or damper leaking oil? I am about to pull the trigger on one but reports of bad QC are scaring me a little.

On French forum, a lot of people reported such problems on the first SID 35 released. They send their forks for after sale service, Rockshox changed the bushing and problem solved.
I don't know if Rockshox solved it on first mount.

Colt__Seavers

« Reply #1108 on: November 19, 2020, 03:38:36 AM »

bearings should be easy to change. Still way more cheap than DT

reddi

« Reply #1109 on: November 19, 2020, 05:12:09 AM »
For those like me who where wondering where to buy a remote controled SIDLuxe. Impossible :
So I'm courious what Bike24.de will send me the next days ??? At least i was able to order a 165x42.5 remote one.
There's still one in stock, shipping to australia is 20 € ;)

Meanwhile, i think about color. Painted or black link? Black or blue fork?
Well, best option will be to have a painted link and if it looks wrong, i can still order an unpainted one. Blue vs. black fork can be determinded when the Frame is here... just order both and return one.
For the red tone, i sent Adam this picture as reference. We'll see how it turns out.