Author Topic: Carbonda fm936 Thoughts  (Read 372310 times)

Shako

Re: Carbonda fm936 Thoughts
« Reply #1215 on: December 07, 2020, 03:24:40 AM »
These look good and have a price, I think they would be good for you because of the measures it has.
https://www.pnwcomponents.com/collections/all/products/loam-dropper-post?variant=33174437855309
Tnx, it seems this is also a good option.

I have 240mm between clamp and saddle frame now, carbondа says the maximum insert length is 180mm but according to my measurements it looks more like 205mm.

According to the Fox manual new 150mm transfer will fit. But very tight, 2mm difference.

jimmyD

« Reply #1216 on: December 07, 2020, 11:09:04 AM »
I can't tell anymore where i read about it, but i think the DT Swiss dual position system works with 5.5 mm cable pull for each step, so 10 mm cable pull from RS twistloc might not give a full lockout, but close to. I think i'll try that out when the frame has arrived (it's getting painted at the moment).

Meanwhile, I'm not too sure where the remote lockout cable is routed out of the frame, as with the DT Swiss shock the cable stopper would be oriented right down in the direction of the BB. Could get "interesting" to connect the cable when it is routed from below the bottle holder screws... Or am i just thinking the wrong way? ???

youre right about the DTswiss cable pull. i got a reply from a norwegian importer today. he said 11.5mm from open to lock, 5.7mm form open to drive. im still trying to find out what cable pull Fox uses. but ive seen that on the YT industires Izzo trail bike they use Fox fork and shock but a Rockshox twistlock remote. so wondering if a rockshox fork and Fox shock might play better together...seems impossible to find this stuff out though.

jimmyD

« Reply #1217 on: December 07, 2020, 03:36:42 PM »
Can the FM936 use a 165x45 shock?

Pharaohollie

« Reply #1218 on: December 07, 2020, 03:38:46 PM »
Can the FM936 use a 165x45 shock?

No. Maximum is 165x42.5mm. Official maximum (according to Carbonda) is 40mm stroke. Read the earlier post in the thread. This topic has been discussed extensively.

jimmyD

« Reply #1219 on: December 07, 2020, 03:53:33 PM »
Balls,

Seems neither fox or rockshox make a remote operated shock available after market in a 165x40 ( that i can find for sale).

Would love to know what remote operated shocks others here are using!

I can find a fox DPS in 165x38 or 165x45. Rockshox are being twatts and only provinding their remote operated 165x40 shocks to bike manufacturers as OEM and cant even tell me which brands use that size shock so i cant even order a "replacement" though one of them.

Pharaohollie

« Reply #1220 on: December 07, 2020, 03:56:35 PM »
Balls,

Seems neither fox or rockshox make a remote operated shock available after market in a 165x40 ( that i can find for sale).

I can find a fox DPS in 165x38 or 165x45. Rockshox are being twatts and only provinding their remote operated 165x40 shocks to bike manufacturers as OEM and cant even tell me which brands use that size shock so i cant even order a "replacement" though one of them.

I am using two shocks with this frame: 165x42.5mm Fox DPS Performance (non-remote) and a RockShox Deluxe RLR 165x37.5mm (remote, just waiting on my SID Ultimate TwistLoc). I shared my thoughts on these shocks and how they pair with the frame earlier in this thread. The Deluxe RLR is the one I'll probably leave on the frame long-term.

zilcho

« Reply #1221 on: December 08, 2020, 12:07:48 AM »
Almost finished.

Is there any option to put a 150mm dropper? I wanted to buy OneUp, but it's out of stock and won't be on sale soon. Has anyone tried the new Fox Transfer 2021?
Or should I just buy 125mm?

I'm using the 150mm OneUp dropper in a size large frame with no issues. 

QuentinLL

« Reply #1222 on: December 08, 2020, 02:36:18 AM »
I'm using the 150mm OneUp dropper in a size large frame with no issues.

Every dropper can be used with no issues, even a 210mm dropper. It depends on you legs length...
His question is "what other dropper has a short stack height and short overall length".

The v2 used to be the shortest stack (40mm) and length. New fox transfer is 38mm.
Competitors are mainly 50mm stack height.

Cerps

« Reply #1223 on: December 08, 2020, 07:21:58 PM »
Balls,

A fox DPS shock has the same length shaft for 165x40, 42.5, and 45. Just need to add travel limiting spacer when doing a rebuild. As long as it's just the seals that are bad you could buy a blown shock and have it shortened when they rebuild it. Might be able to get it tuned different and/or get it switched from lever to remote actuated too.

Manitou Mara is very similar to the Manitou McCleod so I think I read you could switch it to remote using McCleod parts. I think it's 22mm cable pull from open to close. I think it's pull to lock. Just make sure if you're loving your fork it works the same way

QuentinLL

« Reply #1224 on: December 09, 2020, 04:34:47 AM »
Hmm, now I’m more confused. I emailed SRAM about the 165x40 remote SIDluxe ultimate shock. This is their reply

DSD Australia (SRAM)
Dec 3, 2020, 22:06 CST

Hi James,

Thanks for reaching out on this one.

The rear shock program is a hard one at the moment, just as there are soo many variations we have most shocks available OEM but not as many AM. We have this shock size available aftermarket as a standard shock though but the remote variant is not available aftermarket.

The part number for the lever adjust is:
AM RS SIDL ULT RL 165X40 SA1 MM 430TS A1 00.4118.305.014

Kind Regards,
SRAM Service Team

I received the bike24 shock today... it is a lever shock, not a remote.
What they told me by email was wrong.
I think I am going to order a DT Swiss shock...

ChinerDetroit

« Reply #1225 on: December 09, 2020, 05:57:43 AM »
my thoughts, overpriced chiner carbon, not going to happen.  Pricing is to USA zip code 48095.  The frame, paint, and shipping is all higher than my other builds.

820USD for super light version frame
135USD for custom paint
2x5USD for spare rear hangers
230USD for shipping cost 

reddi

« Reply #1226 on: December 09, 2020, 07:52:11 AM »
I received the bike24 shock today... it is a lever shock, not a remote.
What they told me by email was wrong.
I think I am going to order a DT Swiss shock...
That's a pity, altough not unexpected.  :-X
I'd highly appreciate reading some experience about the DT Swiss. Preferably with a picture ;)

theirishrider

« Reply #1227 on: December 09, 2020, 08:47:34 AM »
my thoughts, overpriced chiner carbon, not going to happen.  Pricing is to USA zip code 48095.  The frame, paint, and shipping is all higher than my other builds.

820USD for super light version frame
135USD for custom paint
2x5USD for spare rear hangers
230USD for shipping cost

Why is it overpriced? Go buy a stevens or the NS and pay more then! Pretty much most people here would disagree with you. The Normal version is better value - plus you can paint it yourself if you want to with spray.bike or similar.  Shipping cost is hardy their fault either.  That my opinion at least :)

lRaphl

« Reply #1228 on: December 09, 2020, 09:50:09 AM »
I'd highly appreciate reading some experience about the DT Swiss. Preferably with a picture ;)

I can't talk about the R232 or the R535 and also not how they work out on the FM936 but I was using a X313 remote on my old IP-036 and I only have good things to say about it.  In the OPEN mode, it was plush and active. In the DRIVE mode, it was giving great support while staying enough active to smooth out the trail. In LOCK mode, it was totally locked out. So I was using the DRIVE mode on flats and uphill and switching to OPEN mode when going down or on really rough trails. The DT remote was great, I got used to it fast and sometimes I wish it was possible to use it on my new bike. The X313 remote didn't seem to like to be in between modes and I had to make sure the cable was properly setup. When in between, even by not that much, it was making a whistling sound. I guess the 232 and 535 must act the same way and I would make sure the cable pull is right for the shock if you're planning to use another remote than the DT one.

reddi

« Reply #1229 on: December 10, 2020, 01:33:58 AM »
Interesting, didnt think about that possibility. I dont know too much about the function of a shock, but i can imagine 3 different shims that you engage with the 3 modes. Doesnt mean a 232 must work the same way, but it would likely be. One more thing to figure out...
Actually i'd like to stick with twistloc, as it can lock both front and rear in one movement, without adding a clamp to the handlebar.