Author Topic: Carbonda fm936 Thoughts  (Read 374959 times)

Julian

Re: Carbonda fm936 Thoughts
« Reply #1680 on: May 27, 2021, 04:02:06 AM »
Hi Guys,

another size question...

I'm 178cm with a 87cm inseam.

Curent I ride a Transition Smuggler in Large size with a 35mm stem.

I ordered the 935 in size L but not sure a M fits me better?

Will ride it with a SID 120mm.

Depends on your personal preference and intended use. Both bikes may fit you.

What stem would you be running on the FM936? Size large with a 120 fork will be slightly bigger than your Smuggler, about 16mm more reach and 17mm longer top tube. So if you wanna run a 35mm stem on the FM936 as well, just put on a 50mm stem on your current bike and see how that feels - apart from handling of course.

Concerning the intended use, it may be said that the size medium will sit between XC and Down Country and the size large will lean more towards Trail. But that hugely depends on what you ride and how you ride, so everyone will give you a different answer here  ;)

seppl-kl

« Reply #1681 on: May 30, 2021, 02:06:00 PM »
Hi Guys,

one more question about the frame size.
Which size would the experts recommend?

I'm 188cm tall with 91cm inseam.

I'm interested in an fm936 and am not sure what size will fit better for me and my requirements. I'm looking for a light trail bike (downcountry) with about 120mm suspension.

I am unsure between L and XL, I am "afraid" that the drop in size L will be too extreme and the stem has to be long, on the other hand the frame of size XL might be too long for my short upper body. XL with a short (35mm) stem?

Thanks in advands!

reddi

« Reply #1682 on: May 31, 2021, 10:59:12 AM »
My recommendation would be XL, but i'm a fan of stretched seating positions :-X
What is TT length, reach and stem length of your current bike and how do you feel with it? I went good with comparing to existing material.

carbonazza

« Reply #1683 on: June 01, 2021, 03:45:23 AM »
If it can help you in a way.
I'm 10cm shorter than you, but just 2cm inseam less.
And I'm with a M with a 60mm integrated stem/bar.

With an XL, your saddle will be much lower than me in the frame, the reach is just 45mm longer than M.
So if you select a shorter stem, you get even more flexibility to fit the bike well.

Denis

« Reply #1684 on: June 01, 2021, 04:59:10 AM »
Dissasemble frame for repair. Found 2 cracks on link.

Denis

« Reply #1685 on: June 01, 2021, 05:02:19 AM »
One summer of riding on local xc trails.
Also rounded bolt on lower pivot. Very soft steel and hex hole are not enogh deep. Shittiest quality of bolts that I've ever seen on the frames.

Denis

« Reply #1687 on: June 02, 2021, 03:04:03 AM »
Sorry, I don't figured with pictures here. Thank you.
Yes, have contacted with carbonda, now waiting there answer. May be they again suggest to cut off link)) or pay them 500$ deposit.

For this moment i just can't only dissasemble lower main pivot, decided not to extract bolt( bearings in good condition, all greased before building bike year ago), repair frame and ride until season ends. Then  extract bolt, take it dimensions , and make more quality bolts at local cnc workshop. I will post info here, may be make 2-3 spare quality bolts.

wfl3

« Reply #1688 on: June 02, 2021, 06:16:31 AM »

They really should have used a torx head for the smaller bolt assembly side on the lower pivot - like they did for the rocker tip assemblies.  Aluminum is to soft in my opinion for heads that small if they need more than 6nm torque, especially once you add a little blue loctite.

adroitrider

« Reply #1689 on: June 02, 2021, 09:10:46 AM »
I had no problem dissembling the lower creaking pivot after 550 miles. An easy way to tell you have too long a bolt is if the drive side spins relatively easily after 10nm torque is achieved. I did not have a lot of play but I did have that carbon on carbon squeak emanating from pivot area.

I am now going to hand file 2mm off this bolt!!!

noizz

« Reply #1690 on: June 02, 2021, 09:29:16 AM »
I did have that carbon on carbon squeak emanating from pivot area.
Out of curiosity - how did you got rid of the carbon on carbon squeak?

adroitrider

« Reply #1691 on: June 02, 2021, 09:45:13 AM »
Out of curiosity - how did you got rid of the carbon on carbon squeak?

As reported earlier, many frames were delivered with an out of spec lower pivot bolt (the one right above the bottom bracket). The creak sets in around 400-500miles and it sounds like carbon on carbon, not super high pitched, but a little whiney.

I identified the issue by:
1. Torque the non drive side to 10nm (don’t over torque or you will strip the bolt head as noted above).
2. On the drive side, try to turn the bolt head (without holding the other end on the non drive side) and you can feel if there is enough clamping force. If it spins somewhat freely, much less than 10nm, then your frame has the too long bolt.
3. Remove the bolt and file it down 1-2mm. Reinstall and torque to 10nm. The clamping force should make it much harder to spin the drive side bolt.

adroitrider

« Reply #1692 on: June 02, 2021, 10:00:48 AM »
As reported earlier, many frames were delivered with an out of spec lower pivot bolt (the one right above the bottom bracket). The creak sets in around 400-500miles and it sounds like carbon on carbon, not super high pitched, but a little whiney.

I identified the issue by:
1. Torque the non drive side to 10nm (don’t over torque or you will strip the bolt head as noted above).
2. On the drive side, try to turn the bolt head (without holding the other end on the non drive side) and you can feel if there is enough clamping force. If it spins somewhat freely, much less than 10nm, then your frame has the too long bolt.
3. Remove the bolt and file it down 1-2mm. Reinstall and torque to 10nm. The clamping force should make it much harder to spin the drive side bolt.

I took off just under 1.5mm using hand tools. Took about 30min

Medico

« Reply #1693 on: June 02, 2021, 10:17:04 AM »
I took off just under 1.5mm using hand tools. Took about 30min

Been there done that... I would add some loctite, blue or red. Did it first time without and came loose.

adroitrider

« Reply #1694 on: June 02, 2021, 10:43:54 AM »
Been there done that... I would add some loctite, blue or red. Did it first time without and came loose.

Yes, I found the blue loctite with my carpentry tools and added a few drops to the threads.