Author Topic: Carbonda fm936 Thoughts  (Read 374748 times)

adroitrider

Re: Carbonda fm936 Thoughts
« Reply #1695 on: June 02, 2021, 04:16:40 PM »
Just got done with a 20 mile loop and can confirm this fixed the carbon on carbon squeak that comes from the lower pivot. The squeak was most pronounced on seated climbs when the fall line was pulling the bike horizontal. It is a rhythmic squeak timed with pedal bob.

zilcho

« Reply #1696 on: June 02, 2021, 05:08:32 PM »
How did you get the bolt out?  I was trying to remove mine at one point when troubleshooting the squeak but could not get it move laterally, even though it would spin in place.  I tried inserting a long allen key from the non drive side and hammering it out and still nothing.  This was with the pressure released from the shock and moving the swing arm up and down as well.

Has anyone found a replacement for the non drive side bolt?  I've stripped mine but can make it work for now. I'd rather not wait for shipping from China for a bolt that will probably strip again.

adroitrider

« Reply #1697 on: June 02, 2021, 05:46:12 PM »
How did you get the bolt out?  I was trying to remove mine at one point when troubleshooting the squeak but could not get it move laterally, even though it would spin in place.  I tried inserting a long allen key from the non drive side and hammering it out and still nothing.  This was with the pressure released from the shock and moving the swing arm up and down as well.

Has anyone found a replacement for the non drive side bolt?  I've stripped mine but can make it work for now. I'd rather not wait for shipping from China for a bolt that will probably strip again.

I had to remove the crank (the squeak can be easily confused with a dry spindle squeak but the spindle squeak is higher pitched aluminum on aluminum)
Then, with the non drive side bolt still threaded in a few turns, tap the bolt head with a mallet.
It should come out.

I didn’t release air from shock. I just removed the rear wheel.

numberzero

« Reply #1698 on: June 03, 2021, 03:34:47 AM »

I replaced mine by a simple conical head bolt. Similar to https://fr.aliexpress.com/item/32779413095.html
It goes perfectly in the conical washer but doesn't insert full lenght so not as clean as the original.

carbonazza

« Reply #1699 on: June 03, 2021, 06:48:42 AM »
In my quest for having two bottles with me for marathon rides.

Anyone tried this kind of mount ?
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32975689555.html

It allows to have two bottles side by side.

acedeuce802

« Reply #1700 on: June 03, 2021, 07:19:02 AM »
I've only tried that mount on a GG Trail Pistol with the bottle cages hanging down from the top tube, haven't tried with a bike on the downtube.  It was wide enough that my knees were constantly hitting the bottles.  It also looks real silly, but some may not care about that.

I think the best solution is using a mount to stuff two bottles in the triangle.  I used Lyne Components for inspiration (because I wouldn't pay this much for just a mount) https://www.on-lynecomponents.com/collections/the-holy-rail/products/holy-rail-dual-cage-kit and I 3D printed my own bracket.  It's about 100g if I remember right, super stiff, and I can design it fit the frame perfectly.  Here's a picture mounted on my LCFS911, not too easy to see in that picture but it shows the concept.  The mount shifts the forward bottle cage up one bolt hole, so if you mount a cage on the FM936 using just the top hole and it fits, and then if you can hold a bottle between that and the shock, I should be able to make a mount that will fit.  I've also got a 1:1 PDF of the mount that you could cut out and see if it fits without modification.

carbonazza

« Reply #1701 on: June 03, 2021, 07:39:20 AM »
...I 3D printed my own bracket...
That is a well designed option. Thanks !!
What material did you use to 3D print it ?
I started to use Fusion360(a great software) to do these kind of things  8)

acedeuce802

« Reply #1702 on: June 03, 2021, 07:51:28 AM »
I used ABS to print mine, but I've used PETG on some for friends since I'm able to print it better.  I've used mine for about 800 miles and it's holding up great.

adroitrider

« Reply #1703 on: June 03, 2021, 09:40:00 AM »
In my quest for having two bottles with me for marathon rides.

Anyone tried this kind of mount ?
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32975689555.html

It allows to have two bottles side by side.

To use this you might need a Wolftooth BRAD base to move the bottles higher/farther up the down tube to avoid hitting w knees. The Wolftooth setup seems more geared for gravel touring where you are seated. I get very far forward and down low on the front of my bike when the dropper is activated and I’m pushing my tires limits.

zilcho

« Reply #1704 on: June 03, 2021, 01:34:30 PM »
I had to remove the crank (the squeak can be easily confused with a dry spindle squeak but the spindle squeak is higher pitched aluminum on aluminum)
Then, with the non drive side bolt still threaded in a few turns, tap the bolt head with a mallet.
It should come out.

I didn’t release air from shock. I just removed the rear wheel.

This method worked for me.  The bolt measures 83.16mm.  Time for some filing.

carbonazza

« Reply #1705 on: June 04, 2021, 03:43:57 AM »
...Wolftooth BRAD...
Bottle Relocation and Accessory Device
This is serious gear  :)
https://www.wolftoothcomponents.com/collections/b-rad-system

reddi

« Reply #1706 on: June 04, 2021, 10:12:13 AM »
Hey @adroitrider,
how long is that bolt supposed to be?
Mine is exactly 83 mm.

wfl3

« Reply #1707 on: June 04, 2021, 10:39:15 AM »
Hey @adroitrider,
Mine is exactly 83 mm.

Adam @ Carbonda told me 80mm and that resolved the issue for me.

adroitrider

« Reply #1708 on: June 04, 2021, 02:27:33 PM »
Hey @adroitrider,
Mine is exactly 83 mm.

I took mine to just below 82mm. The key is clamping force on the pivot and a 1+mm reduction in bolt length will go a long way. To take it down to 80mm I would recommend a bench vise and a hand file with a handle.

zilcho

« Reply #1709 on: June 05, 2021, 11:20:24 AM »
I took mine to just below 82mm. The key is clamping force on the pivot and a 1+mm reduction in bolt length will go a long way. To take it down to 80mm I would recommend a bench vise and a hand file with a handle.

I only have simple bike tools so I went to an engine restoration machine shop.  $20 but exactly 80mm and super clean finish.