Author Topic: Carbonda fm936 Thoughts  (Read 374863 times)

Zomb1e

Re: Carbonda fm936 Thoughts
« Reply #2055 on: July 11, 2022, 02:53:54 AM »
Any suggestions on making the bike higher?
120mm fork and 170mm cranks

Run less sag? Bigger shock?
Nope

carbonazza

« Reply #2056 on: July 11, 2022, 09:10:36 AM »
With 175mm spindles, a 120 fork, and 42.5mm shock, no strike issue.
The pressure of the fork and shock are by the manual for my weight, nothing special.
But I sync my pedaling with the terrain when things go rough.

Liter

« Reply #2057 on: July 11, 2022, 01:05:18 PM »
With 175mm spindles, a 120 fork, and 42.5mm shock, no strike issue.
The pressure of the fork and shock are by the manual for my weight, nothing special.
But I sync my pedaling with the terrain when things go rough.

I´m running 170MM, will check if the sag was too much, but I was running the shock open (It has no platform, just open or close) do you usually close/pedal platform when climbing?

What would give me the biggest pedal clearence the shock or the fork? Also going to 42.5MM that add how much of travel 115?120?

thanks Carbonazza!

carbonazza

« Reply #2058 on: July 12, 2022, 03:55:59 AM »
I´m running 170MM, will check if the sag was too much, but I was running the shock open (It has no platform, just open or close) do you usually close/pedal platform when climbing?
What would give me the biggest pedal clearence the shock or the fork? Also going to 42.5MM that add how much of travel 115?120?

Unless on a long asphalt or a flat gravel climb, I learned to ride always open.
If I remember well, the 42.5 gives a 110mm travel.

Liter

« Reply #2059 on: July 12, 2022, 07:45:08 AM »
Unless on a long asphalt or a flat gravel climb, I learned to ride always open.
If I remember well, the 42.5 gives a 110mm travel.

You are running both 120 and 42.5 right? Any Idea on how much sag you run? The difference to pedal striker may either be running to much sag or you running 100 and 40MM

Medico

« Reply #2060 on: July 17, 2022, 02:01:09 PM »
You are running both 120 and 42.5 right? Any Idea on how much sag you run? The difference to pedal striker may either be running to much sag or you running 100 and 40MM

I ride with the same lenght fork and shock. Front is 20% sag (DVO sapphire, trail fork), rear 27-30% with a RS deluxe rct.
Never lock it. pedalstrikes zero to none with a 170mm crank that is (and is the way to go with the DC bikes which are long slack and low).

Good luck!

PS already biked >8000km with mine, done 2 transalps and serveral alp days even on EWS trails... still loving it.

zilcho

« Reply #2061 on: July 17, 2022, 07:15:35 PM »

I'm on 120, 42.5, 170 cranks, something between 15-20% sag and get pedal strikes even when taking my time in technical rocky areas, its just part of having a bb this low while in chucky stuff. With only 42.5mm of travel, and the headtube angle relative to fork travel, I don't see any suspension changes having a meaningful impact on pedal strikes. Crank length, the terrain you ride, and pedaling style are the only things that will matter. One persons rock garden is another persons flowy singletrack. As others have mentioned, learning to ratchet and pick a good line in heavy rock sections can make a big difference but you're still going to hit any meaningful rocks if you try to pedal. Also, this is not unique to this frame, everyone I ride with on something with modern geo has this issue.

BeiFei

« Reply #2062 on: July 17, 2022, 09:54:49 PM »
I have been researching purchasing this frame.  I currently have an older 2015ish hardtail.  Not sure on the exact model (cant log into my old account on here?? forgot the information)

Anyway my question is regarding my fork.  I have a 2015 Reba upgraded with a charger damper, the offset is 46mm.  I have 80mm, 100mm, and 120mm airshafts. 

Would the 46mm offset work well with this geometry?

thanks for the help.

Swolie74

« Reply #2063 on: July 18, 2022, 11:11:12 AM »
Any clydesdales had much luck with this frame? I was originally all set to go on the FM909 (I reeeeeaaaaally want two water bottle mounts) but I'm little too close to the max weight limit I think (max is 275, I'm currently 260 trying to get down to 220-240)...

I hoped I could go with this frame and maybe a 130mm fork (already have)... might give that bottom bracket a little more clearance and set sag high, like 15-20%

numberzero

« Reply #2064 on: July 18, 2022, 11:45:05 AM »
I have been researching purchasing this frame.  I currently have an older 2015ish hardtail.  Not sure on the exact model (cant log into my old account on here?? forgot the information)

Anyway my question is regarding my fork.  I have a 2015 Reba upgraded with a charger damper, the offset is 46mm.  I have 80mm, 100mm, and 120mm airshafts. 

Would the 46mm offset work well with this geometry?

thanks for the help.
New sid has 44mm offset so you will be very near to the "actual standard".
My first build with this frame was with a reba 120mm probably same model as yours. It works until i swapped to new sid and saw that improved rigidity and debonair are a real improvement especially with a downcountry bike like 936.

Liter

« Reply #2065 on: July 27, 2022, 07:15:26 AM »
I'm on 120, 42.5, 170 cranks, something between 15-20% sag and get pedal strikes even when taking my time in technical rocky areas, its just part of having a bb this low while in chucky stuff. With only 42.5mm of travel, and the headtube angle relative to fork travel, I don't see any suspension changes having a meaningful impact on pedal strikes. Crank length, the terrain you ride, and pedaling style are the only things that will matter. One persons rock garden is another persons flowy singletrack. As others have mentioned, learning to ratchet and pick a good line in heavy rock sections can make a big difference but you're still going to hit any meaningful rocks if you try to pedal. Also, this is not unique to this frame, everyone I ride with on something with modern geo has this issue.

Thank you Zilcho, my sag was 20%+ I have set to more XC style 15% and the strikes are much less, also put more pressure on the shock going from 35% to 25%

And the bike is actually more comfortable on rocky stuff, seems running more sag on XC forks make the bike more harsh since its already in the part of the stroke that is more progressive.

This video explains well

Medico

« Reply #2066 on: July 27, 2022, 07:41:25 AM »
Thank you Zilcho, my sag was 20%+ I have set to more XC style 15% and the strikes are much less, also put more pressure on the shock going from 35% to 25%

And the bike is actually more comfortable on rocky stuff, seems running more sag on XC forks make the bike more harsh since its already in the part of the stroke that is more progressive.

This video explains well

I think it depends whoch shock you're using. My rs deluxe uses less then 75% of the stroke with 30% sag, going to 32 orso changed a lot. But notices more peddle bob with it.

I needed the extra travel in the alps (Dolomites), but back home I will go back to 30%.

My 2c

filipes

« Reply #2067 on: July 27, 2022, 07:56:18 AM »
Compression settings are dynamic property of the shock, nothing to do with sag.  You are asking for more linear characteristics, meaning playing with tokens in positive and negative chambers IMHO.

Can you please if possible report back change to tune to H M?

Thanks a lot!

I have the SidLuxe 42.5 in a M M tune and will send it in to be converted to a H M tune. It needs to be High compression and Medium damping.

I have to run it at 280psi to get 20% sag. This high of a psi prevents the shock from getting all 42.5mm of stroke.

Just upgraded wheels and fork. Switched to a 120mm fork and no more pedal strikes.

Medico

« Reply #2068 on: July 27, 2022, 08:44:18 AM »
Compression settings are dynamic property of the shock, nothing to do with sag.  You are asking for more linear characteristics, meaning playing with tokens in positive and negative chambers IMHO.

Can you please if possible report back change to tune to H M?

Thanks a lot!

You're right, but already have M tune and no tokens. I think the frame is very progressive. Thinking about an other shock, maybe a Manitou Mara? I don't think a dvo topaz will fit because of the piggyback.
Or do you have a better solution/option?

Swolie74

« Reply #2069 on: July 27, 2022, 09:27:02 AM »
You're right, but already have M tune and no tokens. I think the frame is very progressive. Thinking about an other shock, maybe a Manitou Mara? I don't think a dvo topaz will fit because of the piggyback.
Or do you have a better solution/option?

My frame is set to be delivered Friday, and I have a Mara on the way as well... hopefully it all plays together nicely, I went with the mara because it runs lower than most other shocks and has a max psi of 400, necessary for a clyde like myself. I'll see how much room there is and maaaaaaaybe I can fit a king can on there to improve progressive qualities