Author Topic: What kind of riding do you do?  (Read 5750 times)

jonxmack

What kind of riding do you do?
« on: July 14, 2014, 03:29:44 AM »
So while we all ride the same bikes, I was wondering what kind of riding people are into?

For me I'm a roadie first and mtb'er second, so I really enjoy what can only be described as "pure XC", fast singletrack, nice climbs, not too techy or scary, just fun general mountain biking, I've never really got to terms with berms and so it's the technical stuff like that where I let myself down.

I'm also into racing mtb's, did a 12 hour 4 man team race about 6 weeks ago where we came 6th out of 49 teams, and did a 24 hour 10 man team race a few weeks ago where we came 22nd out of 25, although I did have completely different team mates and attitudes towards the events. I've been looking around for more races in my area because I find them so much fun, although I do find whenever I go to a race I end up wanting a new bike, last year it was a 29er, this year a new frame, so who knows what I'll end up with next time!

Handmade cycle accessories and luggage - http://www.thebreakaway.cc/

brmeyer135

Re: What kind of riding do you do?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2014, 09:57:08 AM »
I am more into the AM, XC and racing.  These frames being so light, that is, to me, what they are for.  My weakness would be climbing...most are short here.  The racing season here is in the Spring and Fall(Austin, TX area) - I have the 057 frame bought last year but would have gotten the 256 if it had been out.  I do AM with my bike and things have been fine.
Otherwise, group rides which seem to stop every 100 yards or so.
I am with ya on the upgradeitis - gotta control that even if something is a 'deal'.

Sitar_Ned

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2014, 01:42:16 PM »
I gotta be honest.. I'm a pretty big wuss when it comes to anything involving gravity (I used to be the opposite until a motorcycle crash changed my views on risk taking) so I am pretty much 100% XC. I would like to build my skills up to the point where I'm comfortable taking 2-3 foot drops with ease, but only after I'm fully comfortable with it. Before, I would be taking those drops long before I was ready and just letting luck carry me through, lol. So yeah, XC for me.

When I watch the You Tube vids of guys ripping it up, and catching 6-7 foot of air, leaning the bike over - I can't imagine anything looking more fun than that.. I need to find a foam pit or something.

And upgradeitis is a serious affliction that I think most on this board probably suffer with!  ;D
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 01:44:29 PM by Sitar_Ned »

MTB2223

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2014, 03:01:31 PM »
Another XC rider over here. My mountain bike is on the first place. A road bike don't have any place. And my city bike is after a road bike. I really don't like road biking. Fast technical single tracks, climbing, loose sand, an unexpected drop (2-3 foot), pumptrack, together in a group, alone, that's what I like. No downhill. Riding 80km with a elevation gain of 1000 meter gives me a big smile. But a ride of 35km with 400m also.

Patrick C.

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2014, 03:41:57 PM »
Cross country with obstacles.  I don't do anything you'd see in a video, but I do like some landmines in the trail to keep it interesting.  I also have a road bike, but if I had to choose I'd pick the mountain bike first. 
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 08:41:20 PM by Patrick C. »

carbonazza

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2014, 06:04:34 PM »
I'm an XC too. I like speed on rocks and mud and climbs.
Bought a Cannondale Rush 2nd hand a year ago and started to ride seriously.

I try to do twice a week 30-40km/400-600m in the woods around Brussels.
My best so far, is a 80Km/1950m track in the Vosges in France two weeks ago.

Sitar_Ned

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2014, 06:38:36 PM »

Bought a Cannondale Rush 2nd hand a year ago and started to ride seriously.

First real bike I ever owned was a 2004 matte black aluminum Rush.. Man, I loved that bike, and I don't even think the suspension was all that efficient with it's single pivot. Can't wait to have a high end fully carbon full suss (there's that upgradeitis) Sold the rush for far too cheap, of course.

jonxmack

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2014, 02:17:14 AM »
Well I'm glad to hear I'm not alone in the XC thing. I get far too scared when the trails get steep and techy, which is why the "Enduro" scene which is growing like crazy over here in the UK is so unappealing to me, I like having two wheels on the ground thanks (although the odd little 1ft drop or bunny hop isn't too bad), and prefer it when the trail goes up rather than down!
Handmade cycle accessories and luggage - http://www.thebreakaway.cc/

Carbon_Dude

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2014, 09:16:42 AM »
I say XC but it's more single track/trail with some decently hard climbs, short fast down hills, lots of roots, some rocky areas, creek crossings, wooden bridges, small log obstacles, lots of elevation changes given the trails I ride are at the foothills of the Ga mountains.  My max speed is typically 25mph with my average speed around 10mph.   The great thing is the trails are completely shaded, only for a minute here or there are you out in full sun.  This makes for a much more enjoyable ride in the 90°, humid weather we have here in the summer.
2019 Stumpjumper Expert 29/27.5+
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
2017 Trek Stache 9.8 (29+)
2016 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Carbon Comp 6Fattie (27.5+) (Sold)
2016 Trek Stache 9 (29+) w/upgrades (Sold)
2014 -036 Full Suspension Chiner (Sold)
2013 -057 Hardtail Carbon Chiner (Sold)
Atlanta, GA

Vipassana

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2014, 05:55:39 PM »
I do a few different types of riding:

Mountain Bike - Purely XC.  Mainly I do faster, non-technical trails. I do a lot of distance riding, generally 20-30 miles on a normal outing.  Sometimes 50+ miles.  My longest ride on the MTB has been 62 miles.  I'm out in AZ, so it's usually sunny, dusty, and dry trails.  I do a couple of group night rides every month as well which are super exciting.

I've done a few races over the past year and have a few more planned for the next 9 months including a 104 mile endurance race (Barn Burner in Flagstaff, AZ), a 12 hour team race (Dawn to Dusk in Phoenix, AZ), and a 24-hour team race (24 hours in Old Pueblo in Tucson, AZ).

Road Bike - Casual riding, but I have done some racing and charity rides.  I typically ride either shorter 10-15 mile rides with the wife, or 35-60 miles solo rides.  My longest ride has been 96 miles. 

I have a race/charity century this coming weekend!

Spinning/Stationary Bike - I do spin classes at the local gym 1-3 times a week.  They kick my butt, but have been the single best thing for my fitness and strength.  The gains in my climbing and endurance has been huge.  I highly recommend it.  I also have a set of rollers that I've used a few times, but not much since I started spinning.

Out of all this riding, the MTB is my favorite  And the road biking and spin classes have been all for the purpose of improving my MTB game.  Mostly for this 104 mile race coming up in September.  I didn't complete it last year (2 of 4 laps, 52 miles) for a variety of reasons.  I hope to do much better this year.  I'd be ecstatic to complete it so I'm working hard.  :)  And building a capable bike!  ;)

Gliderboy

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2014, 12:31:20 PM »
Just finished my IP-036 build, a massive upgrade from my Scott Scale 950. I ride Single track in the woods west and north of Copenhagen, Denmark - but normaly I bring my bike all around Europe. French Alps last year, Slovakia and Germany this year.

Trying to ride 3-4 times a week (10-15 miles pr. ride).

Fully MTB IP-036 in 2016 - Gravel GR-002 in 2021

RS VR6

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2014, 04:30:25 AM »
Roadie first. Then XC-ish mountain biking. Also have a 26in full suspension for ski resort riding.

Cervelo S2, Specialized Carve, Pivot Mach 5.

Still trying to sort which Chiner frame I'm going to go with.

I should be heading to Interbike next month...maybe I'll get lucky and be able to buy a frame from one of the Chinese vendors then.

Carbon_Dude

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2014, 06:27:58 AM »
Just finished my IP-036 build, a massive upgrade from my Scott Scale 950. I ride Single track in the woods west and north of Copenhagen, Denmark - but normaly I bring my bike all around Europe. French Alps last year, Slovakia and Germany this year.

Trying to ride 3-4 times a week (10-15 miles pr. ride).

I bet the views you see while riding are stunning!
2019 Stumpjumper Expert 29/27.5+
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
2017 Trek Stache 9.8 (29+)
2016 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Carbon Comp 6Fattie (27.5+) (Sold)
2016 Trek Stache 9 (29+) w/upgrades (Sold)
2014 -036 Full Suspension Chiner (Sold)
2013 -057 Hardtail Carbon Chiner (Sold)
Atlanta, GA

tasty.dirt74

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2014, 06:07:30 AM »
I ride pretty much exclusively off road. Singletrack, XC, AM, DH all on the one bike.Commute to work on the hartdail when feeling the need. The XC trails and endurance events are ridden on a 29er hardtail, and everything else is ridden on a 2012 S Works Enduro. 160mm travel beast..weighs about 13.5 KG, depending on tyre selection.

I have been riding Enduro or AM bikes pretty much since I started proper MTB in around 2003/2004, without using marketing terms to describe the way I ride.! Long travel bike, 150-160mm travel with a travel adjust fork. Been using a dropper post for about 4 years now. Such a great addition to the bike. Used the one bike for XC races (RRR in far north QLD, if anyone is wondering) and Dawn til Dusk DH on the Gravitate MTB festival also( about 8 good DH Runs in Cairns which are pretty extreme),

blueducati

« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2014, 08:26:09 AM »
Roadie first. Then XC-ish mountain biking. Also have a 26in full suspension for ski resort riding.

Cervelo S2, Specialized Carve, Pivot Mach 5.

Still trying to sort which Chiner frame I'm going to go with.

I should be heading to Interbike next month...maybe I'll get lucky and be able to buy a frame from one of the Chinese vendors then.

Another S2 owner here, 2014. I'm just now trying to place my order for my first MTB frame. So yeah, I started out as a triathlete (Cervelo P3C), and then got tired of running and swimming so I joined a bike team and switched to bike racing. I've done a few crits and road races, but next season will be my first full year of road racing. It's amazing how much more competitive bike racing is than triathlon. I need to drop at least 20 pounds and get stronger over the winter to have a chance next year...