Author Topic: BikeHubStore.com Hubs?  (Read 11209 times)

cmh

Re: BikeHubStore.com Hubs?
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2015, 05:33:01 AM »
Saying that X POE is "too much" or creates "too much drag" kinda ignores all the differences in the ratchet mechanisms themselves. There is a huge variety of mechanisms, some work well, some work better, and some might not work so well with a higher POE, whereas others work just fine.

That said, I run Hopes with 24 POE and for general XC riding have never thought "I need more". Singlespeed buddies running I9s love the higher POE, and I could see that having more, especially when running low gears like the 22/32 would make it nicer, but it's never stopped me from riding, so I wouldn't get too hung up in the numbers, just like megapixels on a camera. Tells only a small, small part of the story.

As for the BHS hubs, I've built several sets but so far not for myself. Have a pair of road hubs that I'll get around to building for myself at some point, and the quality seems very high, but it's easy for hubs to be high quality when they do nothing but sit on the workbench. :o Been really happy dealing with BHS although they are a bit slow on the customer service now and then.

brmeyer135

« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2015, 11:06:42 AM »
Digi,
So, I actually had my wheels built with Sapim Lasers
I found the reference about not with disc brakes:  http://www.sapim.be/sites/default/files/checklist.pdf
I am checking with my wheel builder as my spokes and hubs came from BHS.
I haven't had any issues, I weigh 165lbs.
Edit: got a response from my wheel builder:
I've built several sets (your included) with Lasers on disc brake hubs with no problem for lighter weight riders. In these cases 32 spokes with 3 crossings allow the use of the Laser spoke to make a sufficiently stiff wheel. For heavier riders on other than XC applications or low spoke count wheels the Laser is not a suitable choice.

I don't anticipate you having any trouble with the wheels but if you do start breaking spokes just let me know and I can relace them with heavier spokes.

« Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 11:28:37 AM by brmeyer135 »

cmh

« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2015, 05:37:40 PM »
With heavier rims - I'd say a heavier rider is also okay. I'll find out as I built my fat bike wheels with Lasers and I'm well north of 200lb. :D

Digi

« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2015, 08:14:55 PM »
Digi,
So, I actually had my wheels built with Sapim Lasers
I found the reference about not with disc brakes:  http://www.sapim.be/sites/default/files/checklist.pdf
I am checking with my wheel builder as my spokes and hubs came from BHS.
I haven't had any issues, I weigh 165lbs.
Edit: got a response from my wheel builder:
I've built several sets (your included) with Lasers on disc brake hubs with no problem for lighter weight riders. In these cases 32 spokes with 3 crossings allow the use of the Laser spoke to make a sufficiently stiff wheel. For heavier riders on other than XC applications or low spoke count wheels the Laser is not a suitable choice.

I don't anticipate you having any trouble with the wheels but if you do start breaking spokes just let me know and I can relace them with heavier spokes.

So my friend said his distributor will be out of the the "DT Swiss Competition Race" spokes for a while, so I went with the Sapim Lasers.  I haven't heard of anyone having problems with the Lasers.  I'll post back if have any issues with the wheels.  I'm 165lbs BTW.  Here is my final wheel build:

BHS MTB180/MTB270 hubs (32 hole)
Sapim Laser spokes
DT Swiss brass locking nipples
Stans Crest rims (tubeless)
« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 12:38:23 AM by Digi »

Carbon_Dude

« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2015, 06:21:01 AM »
BHS (Bike Hub Store) is the US distributor for BiTex Hubs.  You might want to look over my other post about my free hub failure.  As for spokes, I can't see you'd have any problems, particularly since you only weight 165 lbs.
2019 Stumpjumper Expert 29/27.5+
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
2017 Trek Stache 9.8 (29+)
2016 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Carbon Comp 6Fattie (27.5+) (Sold)
2016 Trek Stache 9 (29+) w/upgrades (Sold)
2014 -036 Full Suspension Chiner (Sold)
2013 -057 Hardtail Carbon Chiner (Sold)
Atlanta, GA

« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2015, 01:59:26 AM »
I was using hope hubs for a long time. I tried the BHS 32H hubs when I decided to build a rigid IP-256, and love them!

The higher POE was not a factor in my decision, but after using them made a noticeable difference in some riding conditions. The Hope hubs always had a slight pause and then a clunk when engaging on single track riding where I was always between costing and pedaling. Its nice to have the feel of instant engagement when bouncing around a rigid IP-256.

I have had the BHS hubs for about a year with no problems. Most of my rides are in the 1000 to 4000 foot climb range. I am 220 pounds, without any gear.

Carbon_Dude

« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2015, 09:37:48 AM »
Since they are from the BHS, I'm wondering if your hubs are BiTex hubs, www.bitexhubs.com, or some other mfr?
2019 Stumpjumper Expert 29/27.5+
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
2017 Trek Stache 9.8 (29+)
2016 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Carbon Comp 6Fattie (27.5+) (Sold)
2016 Trek Stache 9 (29+) w/upgrades (Sold)
2014 -036 Full Suspension Chiner (Sold)
2013 -057 Hardtail Carbon Chiner (Sold)
Atlanta, GA