Author Topic: Grip shift  (Read 3745 times)

brmeyer135

Grip shift
« on: August 19, 2014, 12:08:09 PM »
Haven't heard too much about them...they seem mainly available through SRAM's XX1 or XO1 series.
I haven't ridden them...except an old huffy 3-speed back 20 years...
It would seem troublesome in a rock garden type situation...bouncing around, shifting up and down accidently?
Obviously, we all could get used to them, but as I described above?

325racer

Re: Grip shift
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2014, 08:24:33 PM »
Haven't used them in 20 years myself, but I'm giving them a try on my in progress build. 

So no good insight from me....

carbonazza

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2014, 09:08:59 AM »
I never had a gripshift before my new XX1.
But after just 200+km, I would hardly come back to traditional shifters.

The gripshift is between my thumb and part of my index(that ends on the brake).

Changing the gears up to 3-4 steps is just a small mouvement of the thumb/hand.
Even on a tricky terrain.
The bar is still kept firmly enough by the other 3 fingers.
And my index stays on the brake.

One thing that a traditional shifter can't do, is jump in an instant from one side of the cassette to the other.
In both directions. I used it sometimes already.

Yeah, I'm a converted fan.
And this is probably very personal like many things on a bike.

Sussed.

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2014, 09:44:38 AM »
I never had a gripshift before my new XX1.
But after just 200+km, I would hardly come back to traditional shifters.

The gripshift is between my thumb and part of my index(that ends on the brake).

Changing the gears up to 3-4 steps is just a small mouvement of the thumb/hand.
Even on a tricky terrain.
The bar is still kept firmly enough by the other 3 fingers.
And my index stays on the brake.

One thing that a traditional shifter can't do, is jump in an instant from one side of the cassette to the other.
In both directions. I used it sometimes already.

Yeah, I'm a converted fan.
And this is probably very personal like many things on a bike.

+1   ;D

Sussed.

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2014, 09:46:20 AM »
Haven't heard too much about them...they seem mainly available through SRAM's XX1 or XO1 series.
I haven't ridden them...except an old huffy 3-speed back 20 years...
It would seem troublesome in a rock garden type situation...bouncing around, shifting up and down accidently?
Obviously, we all could get used to them, but as I described above?

I havent ghost shifted yet but I havent been through anything like a rock garden !  8)

Carbon_Dude

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2014, 07:05:59 AM »
When I first got my XX1 setup I installed a gripshifter.  After 5-10 rides I decided to go back to a trigger shifter.  All I'll say is Gripshift is not for everyone.
2019 Stumpjumper Expert 29/27.5+
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
2017 Trek Stache 9.8 (29+)
2016 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Carbon Comp 6Fattie (27.5+) (Sold)
2016 Trek Stache 9 (29+) w/upgrades (Sold)
2014 -036 Full Suspension Chiner (Sold)
2013 -057 Hardtail Carbon Chiner (Sold)
Atlanta, GA

brmeyer135

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2014, 08:59:56 AM »
CD, I do remember reading that, I guess, part of your problem with grip shift was how they fit with your previous avid brakes. 

Sussed, you say you have good grip with 3 fingers...don't you find your whole hand is moving with the shifting though?
Moving through the cassette, do you ratchet to do that, or just roll the grip shift up/down and hold until it gets across?

carbonazza

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2014, 01:19:18 PM »
I'll reply for Sussed  :D

After analysing more what happens.

It is the opposite.
My index and thumb are driving.
As they always rotate with the gripshift.

When doing  1 to 4 gears jump at a time.
The 3 other fingers barely move.
Then I take back the relaxed position.

For bigger gear jumps, I just keep the gripshift between the index and thumb.
Release the 3 fingers.
And roll it and hold to the desired position.
Without voluntary ratcheting.

May be a slow motion video, would help to make all this pseudo-science verified!  8)

Vipassana

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2014, 01:35:04 PM »
I haven't had grip shift in 15 years. But you guys have me curious.  I am not a huge fan of the trigger placement on the SRAM X01 shifter. I felt the Shimano placement is much nicer.  Perhaps I will buy a grip shift and try it out.

Carbon_Dude

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2014, 07:55:23 PM »
CD, I do remember reading that, I guess, part of your problem with grip shift was how they fit with your previous avid brakes. 

Sussed, you say you have good grip with 3 fingers...don't you find your whole hand is moving with the shifting though?
Moving through the cassette, do you ratchet to do that, or just roll the grip shift up/down and hold until it gets across?

I really wanted to like it.  At the time, the gripshifter was a bit more expensive than the trigger.  However, between the rattle (which was discussed in another thread), the difficulty getting the brake levers situated in a good location (Avid Levers), and the grip being just too long for my liking, it just didn't work for me.  The day I replaced it with the SRAM XX1 trigger shifter I was happy again.  With the trigger shifter I have the option of putting my brake lever on the inside or outside of the trigger shifter, I can move and reposition the trigger to get it in just the right spot and  I can jump at least 5 gears with one swipe of the trigger.

I still think the grip shift is a really cool, nicely engineered piece of hardware (lots of tiny bearings and such inside).  A year ago when I had mine, there were several reports of the gripshifter breaking, something about one of the plastic parts inside that were not holding up.  Possibly SRAM fixed that problem as they are still selling them and I've not read about this issue lately.

Shimano is coming out with push button XTR shifting, but I'm not sure I want or need electronic shifting on my mountain bike.
2019 Stumpjumper Expert 29/27.5+
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
2017 Trek Stache 9.8 (29+)
2016 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Carbon Comp 6Fattie (27.5+) (Sold)
2016 Trek Stache 9 (29+) w/upgrades (Sold)
2014 -036 Full Suspension Chiner (Sold)
2013 -057 Hardtail Carbon Chiner (Sold)
Atlanta, GA

snipe

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2014, 08:57:01 PM »
after numerous thumb sprains on my left hand I went to grip shift because it was easier.  I actually got used to it very quickly and had no issues with it.  That was the nine speed carbon XO series and I used it 3x and 2x with bash.  never had a failure. Shifts were crisp.  The early versions had numerous clicks on the front derailleur so you could actually trim it a little if you had to.  the newer versions had 3 click definite detentes.  But when I went to 2x10 it seemed that the FD throws were easier than I remembered and I went back to triggers.  Now with XX1 of course its not an issue at all.  I did try the gripshift xx1 but found the detentes a little soft and people commented on missed shifts.  I kind of miss the grips and the ability to grab a handful of gears really fast.   I think the triggers with integrated brake levers like ispec make for a much tidier and adjustable handlebar.  and its easier to fit in dropper remotes etc.