Author Topic: Painting a Full Suspension Frame...Who has done it???  (Read 4903 times)

ottoreni

Painting a Full Suspension Frame...Who has done it???
« on: June 30, 2019, 11:24:40 AM »
Howdy all,

Picked up a full suspension 29er and looking to either paint it or just put nice vinyl decal logo of my own on it.

The painting option is interesting, but I have never painted a full suspension frame.  Any tips?

Once I take it apart, do I not paint the areas where the pivots would be? 

Any tips appreciated..

ConcreteJ

Re: Painting a Full Suspension Frame...Who has done it???
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2019, 03:42:57 PM »
hi,

i've painted or more precissely plastidipped my fs frame. i would advice to cover bearings or better still remove them and fill the void with twisted newspaper. you dont want to paint surfaces for bearings or pivots imo. plastidipp is different process, so i left some bearins in situ.

clcrandall

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2019, 08:14:06 AM »
Wet sand the frame with fine grit sandpaper and CLEAN the frame well with alcohol after.  don't paint any bearing surfaces. Use painter's tape and/or rubber cement to cover anything you don't want painted (rubber cement peels right off after). Take your time when painting and don't rush. Give the paint several days to cure before reassembly. I built up a DengFu M06 and just rattle can painted it - Gloss black rear, Red Front (see pic) and it turned out great. Just take your ti.me and be meticulous

Sitar_Ned

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2019, 08:59:47 AM »
Wow, that's a pretty impressive rattle can job. Making me want to give it a go.

ConcreteJ

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2019, 01:58:40 PM »
plastidipped