Author Topic: Sweat In My Eyes - Need Suggestions  (Read 2682 times)

Vipassana

Sweat In My Eyes - Need Suggestions
« on: August 29, 2014, 12:56:21 PM »
Recently, I've been plagued with sweat in my eyes during rides; it's very hot out here this time of year (100°++) and I sweat a lot.  I have a Giro Atmos helmet and the pad selection/placement is very minimal.  It seems that the sweat builds in the pads and drips out in bumpy sections as the helmet moves a bit.  Then it builds in my prolific eyebrows and eventually dumps into my eyes or inside of my sunglasses.  This results in temporary blindness and burning.  Which I can't have when piloting a mountain bike at 20 mph down singletrack.

I'm thinking of a headband/sweatband of some variety.  Do you guys have any suggestions or experience with this issue?

MTB2223

Re: Sweat In My Eyes - Need Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2014, 02:08:00 PM »
Maybe a bandana is the solution for you ? Are you bald ? Or very few hair ?

Carbon_Dude

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2014, 07:43:28 PM »
This time of year I bring a terri-cloth hand towel with me.  I just tuck it in my waist band while riding.  It's really handy to have, not just for wiping the sweat but if you need to blow your nose, wipe grease or dirt of your hands after fixing something on your bike, clean sweat off your sunglasses, wipe of some blood, and also to dry sweat from my arms and hands.  I have a stack of towels at home and bring a clean one on each ride.  I learned this from a friend and long time mountain biker.  I've gotten so accustom to having a towel with me now, I don't ride without one.
2019 Stumpjumper Expert 29/27.5+
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
2017 Trek Stache 9.8 (29+)
2016 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Carbon Comp 6Fattie (27.5+) (Sold)
2016 Trek Stache 9 (29+) w/upgrades (Sold)
2014 -036 Full Suspension Chiner (Sold)
2013 -057 Hardtail Carbon Chiner (Sold)
Atlanta, GA

Digi

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2014, 05:40:31 PM »
I use this sweatband.  It works great, is low profile, and fits under your helmet super easy.  No more squinting and bad lines on the trail:

http://store.haloheadband.com/elastic-sport-headband-p/hp.htm

I got one of these in a raffle and gave it to one of my runner girlfriends that sweats like a hostage.  I'll ask her how she likes it:

http://www.sweatgutr.com/#ultimate-sweatband

325racer

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2014, 12:16:50 AM »
Move someplace cooler......