Author Topic: Chinese Santa Cruz/AM831  (Read 97523 times)

freeride1

Re: Chinese Santa Cruz/AM831
« Reply #165 on: March 23, 2020, 04:25:46 PM »
Anybody know the weight?

They don't know it until first production frame will be ready, and I've been told by Eddy it's a matter of days.

In this days I'm forced at home due to Covid19, so I did some search about Hightower and lot of owners are running it with 210x55 rear shock without issues.
Big cans air shocks (Fox X2, Ohlins, Cane Creek) doesn't fit, about coils Cane Creek is fine and I've spotted on Instagram one running Fox DHX2.

Waiting news from Eddy for a chance to offer frame and rear shock combo, I don't know about options/prices so far
Enduro, gravel, road rider from Italy

Jotegr

« Reply #166 on: March 23, 2020, 08:25:09 PM »
If you were following that MTBR hightower threat, the CC DBinline coil does not in fact fit. The guy had the shock installed wrong, with it installed correctly he claims it rubs in all configurations.

I think lighter riders might be able to get away with coils on the hightower, heavy riders not so much. We will have to see if these things fair any different.

freeride1

« Reply #167 on: March 24, 2020, 02:59:59 AM »
I didn't notice that...so is a CC coil larger than a Fox one? Maybe it is.
I'll go with air shock, I love a playful bike behavior.

RDY

« Reply #168 on: March 24, 2020, 07:59:17 AM »
Anybody know the weight?

They don't know it until first production frame will be ready, and I've been told by Eddy it's a matter of days.

In this days I'm forced at home due to Covid19, so I did some search about Hightower and lot of owners are running it with 210x55 rear shock without issues.
Big cans air shocks (Fox X2, Ohlins, Cane Creek) doesn't fit, about coils Cane Creek is fine and I've spotted on Instagram one running Fox DHX2.

Waiting news from Eddy for a chance to offer frame and rear shock combo, I don't know about options/prices so far

I highly doubt Haideli offering rear shocks would be cheaper.  Indeed, I'd imagine the price for big brand shocks in China is significantly higher.

freeride1

« Reply #169 on: March 24, 2020, 08:21:56 AM »
I read somewhere about LightCarbon (or some other vendor) sell RS Super Deluxe around 280/300$, that's cheaper than what I can find online for sure.

chetosmachine

« Reply #170 on: March 24, 2020, 12:48:46 PM »
I was offered a RS super deluxe with my ican P9 at around 250 usd. No way to buy one unit in europe/states at that price for that price or near.

Sitar_Ned

« Reply #171 on: March 24, 2020, 01:55:10 PM »
If we could get the RS Super Deluxe for $250-300, this frame with the group buy would be a killer deal.

freeride1

« Reply #172 on: March 24, 2020, 03:59:40 PM »
I was offered a RS super deluxe with my ican P9 at around 250 usd. No way to buy one unit in europe/states at that price for that price or near.

ok, that's the kind or price I've heard of !

Jotegr

« Reply #173 on: March 24, 2020, 05:03:54 PM »
Re: Cane creek coils thicker than fox

It depends on the weight of the spring. The few bikes I've seen on instagram or whatever seem to be on medium frames and therefore lighter riders. AFAIK the guy running the cane creek shock was also using a progressive coil. I don't know if those are any bigger or smaller than the others.

freeride1

« Reply #174 on: March 24, 2020, 05:30:31 PM »
Re: Cane creek coils thicker than fox

It depends on the weight of the spring. The few bikes I've seen on instagram or whatever seem to be on medium frames and therefore lighter riders. AFAIK the guy running the cane creek shock was also using a progressive coil. I don't know if those are any bigger or smaller than the others.

Progressive coil on the CC for sure...I'd thought all coils are of the same size, but I don't run any from the marvellous years 2k and freeride movement  ;D

chetosmachine

« Reply #175 on: March 24, 2020, 06:45:40 PM »
About shocks, i bought a Sr Sountour Triair 3CR for 280eur on a bike shop, june 2019. They are still around that price, in shops. And i am quite sure that this shock has at least equal quality and performance of a RS.

freeride1

« Reply #176 on: March 25, 2020, 03:13:33 AM »
About shocks, i bought a Sr Sountour Triair 3CR for 280eur on a bike shop, june 2019. They are still around that price, in shops. And i am quite sure that this shock has at least equal quality and performance of a RS.

That shock is a "copy" of mine DVO Topaz T3, a great shock imho; online is around 290€ and I can suggest it on a budget bike build without loosing performance an tuneability.

bruto

« Reply #177 on: March 25, 2020, 08:42:50 AM »
for the record, I've seen a Suntour Triair off Merida e160 with a cracked piston - either made too thin in the middle or there's an unfortunate stress riser
and Merida's local distributor wasn't helpful in arranging a replacement
no idea what's the actual rate of this particular failure

sync1

« Reply #178 on: March 25, 2020, 09:45:35 AM »

That shock is a "copy" of mine DVO Topaz T3, a great shock imho; online is around 290€ and I can suggest it on a budget bike build without loosing performance an tuneability.

I think it's actually the opposite, the Topaz is a "copy" of the Triair but with a bladder instead IFP.
I will use a McLeod or a Triair (210x50 to get about 130mm rear travel), I'm still thinking about it.

FlaMtnBkr

« Reply #179 on: March 25, 2020, 11:31:24 AM »
I haven't seen a fork offset in any of the info though the Hightower is based on a 42 or 44 mm offset.

Anyone think there would be much problem with a 51mm offset? I can't imagine it would change things all that much? So far I'm finding mainly 51 and 4X seems pretty rare though I'm looking at 2019 forks that are on sale.

Also, I assume they chose one set of dimensions and there won't be any type of flip chip or different linkages available.  It looks like the dimensions are based on the high setting? I haven't ridden the Hightower but suspect that's what I would probably use anyways.

Wonder if there will be the little fender to help protect shock and linkage? Probably not,  but I hope they at least include an integrated down tube protector.

Has anyone tried replacing the bearings in these frames with something high quality like the enduro bearings? Did you notice a difference?

And I probably should ask this somewhere else...but does the matte carbon hold up ok?  Or does a gloss finish do better?