Author Topic: Chinese Santa Cruz/AM831  (Read 98217 times)

freeride1

Re: Chinese Santa Cruz/AM831
« Reply #210 on: April 02, 2020, 03:03:21 AM »
finally the real thing appeared!
Very nice, but from lower link we can say there's no flip chip in there.
Not a big deal for me
Enduro, gravel, road rider from Italy

FlaMtnBkr

« Reply #211 on: April 02, 2020, 11:17:30 AM »
Are you sure? If you look in the picture of the frame in the other thread, there is a linkage in the background that looks to be slotted at one end.

Also, why are the holes for the axels in the rear swingarm so big? Look a lot bigger than a 12mm axel and even bigger than the other holes with a pocket for a bearing.

I hope the production version gets a BSA insert with the USCG mount. I much prefer a threaded BB than a press fit and doubt I'm the only one. Don't know if the mold allows that change to be made or if it's a done deal once the mold is made?

freeride1

« Reply #212 on: April 02, 2020, 11:57:39 AM »
Are you sure? If you look in the picture of the frame in the other thread, there is a linkage in the background that looks to be slotted at one end.

Also, why are the holes for the axels in the rear swingarm so big? Look a lot bigger than a 12mm axel and even bigger than the other holes with a pocket for a bearing.

I hope the production version gets a BSA insert with the USCG mount. I much prefer a threaded BB than a press fit and doubt I'm the only one. Don't know if the mold allows that change to be made or if it's a done deal once the mold is made?

hole for the rear axle is so big because derailleur hanger is one piece with axle thread, just like Hightower and other Santa Cruz have nowadays.
A recessed spot for flip chip should be on the lower linkage at the shock mount hole.

Asked eddy about BB and BSA is available for order from 30 pieces, but I think for size, so we're not able to reach this point.
In my opinion I'm ok with pressfit, never had troubles in years.
Enduro, gravel, road rider from Italy

sync1

« Reply #213 on: April 02, 2020, 12:40:55 PM »
I really would like to have a BSA BB. The flip chip isnt so important, there's offset bushings to do the trick, but would be nice.

Jotegr

« Reply #214 on: April 02, 2020, 11:26:14 PM »
Why? Just pick up a wheels mfg thread in press fit BB. They're fantastic.

chetosmachine

« Reply #215 on: April 09, 2020, 06:40:19 AM »
@Eddy, could you send more pictures/ tell any more news?

Regards

bbr

Am831 with a 27.5
« Reply #216 on: April 10, 2020, 04:25:15 AM »
Would anyone be able to share a thought if this could have 27.5 wheels fitted?  29 - 160mm  fork. (with a 2.5 tyre.)

Think that would work?

Jotegr

« Reply #217 on: April 10, 2020, 10:06:16 AM »
If this shares similar rear tire clearance with the standard hightower then you're out of luck for sure.

chetosmachine

« Reply #218 on: April 10, 2020, 10:46:59 AM »
You may have some ground clearance issues too!

ChinerCaroliner

« Reply #219 on: April 14, 2020, 06:37:50 AM »
Here’s a little somethin somethin

BlackTrails

« Reply #220 on: April 15, 2020, 10:36:20 PM »
Does anyone have first hand knowledge of whether these paint jobs are worth it? How much cost and weight do they usually add?  Any alternatives? Thanks

Jotegr

« Reply #221 on: April 15, 2020, 11:48:28 PM »
I can't answer much as far as weight goes. Probably around the same as most non-premium/specifically light paint options. My first chiner was painted just fine. Colour + clear coat like anyone else.

I THINK the basic colours are included in the price for this, but don't quote me on that. In the past I paid another 80 bucks for a simple custom paint job (several years ago).

Your other options are to have them clear coat it, which will be lighter than paint. I don't know if they will ship without clearcoat or with primer only. You need SOMETHING on there or the carbon will yellow and get shitty over time.

Other than that you can pay someone for a custom paint job (usually high hundreds to thousands of dollars) or DIY.

BlackTrails

« Reply #222 on: April 16, 2020, 05:02:43 PM »
Ok, can we generally assume that the color ways are matched to SC’s?  It’s hard to tell from the photo provided if they are, especially without proper color matching.  Ie. the blue on the 2020 SC Hightower seems similar to the blue #6 provided by Eddy, but darker.  Hard to tell without knowing the white balance levels of the photo.

Also, as a first frame up build this is slightly daunting with unknowns and hearsay.  For instance, is it better to just buy your own hardware (headset, bearings, shock bolts) for these frames? It is mentioned several times about the low quality metal provided, guys with shock bolts getting bent after a season etc.

Jotegr

« Reply #223 on: April 16, 2020, 06:43:29 PM »
Ok, can we generally assume that the color ways are matched to SC’s? 

Also, as a first frame up build this is slightly daunting with unknowns and hearsay.  For instance, is it better to just buy your own hardware (headset, bearings, shock bolts) for these frames? It is mentioned several times about the low quality metal provided, guys with shock bolts getting bent after a season etc.

I think we can safely assumed they are in no way matched to SC's colours in any way.

We'll see about that second point. Some people will have problems, some won't. There's a lot of unknowns around this frame as none of us have done any builds at all so far. On the bright side, if we do indeed get thirty or more of us to get one of these, we'll have a solid community to solve any problems that crop up. 

scourge

« Reply #224 on: April 16, 2020, 11:08:36 PM »
I'm a little confused about choosing a color. Are we limited to the 14 color choices Eddie provided? Or are other colors a possibility also? If others are an option.where can I see them.

I was under the impression that the headset and bottom bracket came with the frame. I assume these will be installed already. Is this correct?