Author Topic: Chinese Titanium Frames...  (Read 15918 times)

ottoreni

Chinese Titanium Frames...
« on: December 04, 2019, 04:24:07 PM »
Howdy...

I know this might not be the right site, but have to ask.

Looking at having a Chinese Titanium frame fabricated. I dealt with Waltly Ti in the past and the frame they made was spot on except the seat-tube.  It was suppose to be 27.2, but I needed to use a 27.4 otherwise seat post slippage would happen.

Looking to see if anyone knows of any other titanium frame makers?

THanks

tripleDot

Re: Chinese Titanium Frames...
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2019, 11:40:29 PM »
I too had my Ti gravel bike done by Walty, although, I went indirectly via Carbon Speed. Reason for this was I've no experience with designing a bike frame, and CS helped me with that. There was an extra added cost but it was worth it. The frame was very well made and after a year (3k km) it is still a wonderful ride.

As for other Chinese Ti frame manufacturer, I am only aware of a representative Lily Liu (see screen shot). I don't know what company she represents but it's definitely not Walty. I'm guessing it's Hi-Light Titanium Bikes (see ss). Both have Ti frames, fork, stems, handle bars and seat posts. Honestly, I don't know much about either. I did inquire with Hi-Light once regarding a custom gravel fork and the price was just to high (US$800 iirc). That's actually more than what I paid Carbon Speed (includes shipping fee but less local tax/duties) 2 years ago for a whole gravel bike frame.

Btw, the screen shots are their FaceBook account. Both had joined a local Ti bike group I'm a member of. You might want to check them out. Again, I've no experience dealing with either and I don't know much about them too.

Edit: Was reading some of the post made by Lily Liu, she mentioned price is around US$750. Not sure if that's for a custom built or pre-built model.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2019, 11:54:47 PM by tripleDot »
July 2020 - Custom Waltly Ti 29er
Nov 2018 - Custom Waltly Ti Gravel
Apr 2018 - CS-496 29x3.0 - stripped
Feb 2018 - CS-RB01 (SS Road)
Sep 2016 - CS-RB01 (road sold)
Jun 2016 - Chinese CF XC - stripped
Mar 2016 - Haro Projekt (sold)
Feb 2008 - Jamis Durango 29 (sold)
Mar 2001 - Scott Scale (sold)

bruto

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2019, 03:49:08 AM »
I have a frame from Ankang Haofutan (find them on Alibaba), with their distinctive twisted down tube
Pretty decent, except they didn't make X12 dropouts at the time so I had to send them some Paragon ones
Limited choice of yokes as well, but that may or may not be a problem for you

bxcc

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2020, 07:23:27 PM »
Reviving an old thread as I’m currently dealing with Waltly right now. So far, they’ve been great to deal with. They have some cool designs. Anyone else deal with them?

Jotegr

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2020, 09:46:01 AM »
What's their quoted wait time at the moment?

bxcc

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2020, 10:08:11 AM »
No firm quote yet but she said generally it’s within 30 days. I’ll be happy if I see it within 8 weeks. I like to keep my expectations low.

em_reeze

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2020, 04:26:31 PM »
bxcc, would you care to share some details on what your ti frame geometry and type of bike? I am thinking about working with waltly on having them build me a ti frame that would be a gravel/touring bike with some swept alt-bars like carver bikes MyTi handlebars. I want to have the ability to use mountain bike drivetrains, shifters, and brakes as I don't like drop bars and the brakes and shifter options right now. I might add some small bar ends to the middle of the bars to add some hand positions like the hoods of a drop bar, but I am not sure yet. I am currently trying to draw up a basic frame in bikecad that will get me to the dimensions I like (or think I like at least!)

bxcc

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2020, 08:24:04 PM »
bxcc, would you care to share some details on what your ti frame geometry and type of bike? I am thinking about working with waltly on having them build me a ti frame that would be a gravel/touring bike with some swept alt-bars like carver bikes MyTi handlebars. I want to have the ability to use mountain bike drivetrains, shifters, and brakes as I don't like drop bars and the brakes and shifter options right now. I might add some small bar ends to the middle of the bars to add some hand positions like the hoods of a drop bar, but I am not sure yet. I am currently trying to draw up a basic frame in bikecad that will get me to the dimensions I like (or think I like at least!)

Sure thing. Figuring out your own geometry is the hardest part. I based mine off of the new Specialized Epic as it seems to be a good middle ground between an XC race bike and an enduro sled. Once you give them the deposit, it takes a few days for them to send you a blueprint of the bike. It will have EVERY detail of the bike from head tube angle to where the water bottle bosses are. It's quite impressive. I wasn't sent a recent blue print so I could see how they do it. I have yet to receive mine. I'll start a new thread once I have more details so folks can see what's involved. Hopefully it all goes smoothly and I like the end product.

carbonazza

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2020, 09:59:31 AM »
Do they make internal routing of the rear brake hose ?
Or this is not Ti philosophy  ;)

bxcc

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2020, 11:19:34 AM »
Do they make internal routing of the rear brake hose ?
Or this is not Ti philosophy  ;)

They do internal routing for anything you want.  ;)
I opted for internal routing on the seat tube only for a dropper post. Everything else will be external. It's being built as a singlespeed so paying the extra for internal routing of the rear derailleur doesn't make sense. I'm not sure how much extra it costs, I was just told that it's extra.  ???

tripleDot

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2020, 09:20:46 AM »
I'm currently on my second Waltly Ti bike. My first is this gravel bike.

Got the second one into production just before the COVID lockdown on March. It was done and shipped to me early-May but the lockdown had delayed the delivery on the local end. I am expecting it to arrive any day this week though. What is it? Well, it is a 29er hard tail. Geometry was based on the Niner S.I.R. 9. With a modified dropout. I loved what I did with the first gravel bike using a horizontal sliding dropout, so the second one also had that. With the 29er coming, I plan to setup the gravel bike as a single speeder... I kind'a learned to love the simplicity of an SS during the lockdown. Pretty much rode the Haro Projekt 2016 fixed/free bike around the subdivision daily during the lockdown. Sold the Projekt as soon as we improved from ECQ to GCQ. This new 29er will be my geared bike. The only difference my 29er Ti frame from the Niner S.I.R. is internal cabling, sliding dropout and boost hub spacing.

Below are photos of the 29er.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2020, 12:39:36 PM by tripleDot »

chadrandom

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2020, 12:48:16 PM »
I too had my Ti gravel bike done by Walty, although, I went indirectly via Carbon Speed. Reason for this was I've no experience with designing a bike frame, and CS helped me with that. There was an extra added cost but it was worth it. The frame was very well made and after a year (3k km) it is still a wonderful ride.

As for other Chinese Ti frame manufacturer, I am only aware of a representative Lily Liu (see screen shot). I don't know what company she represents but it's definitely not Walty. I'm guessing it's Hi-Light Titanium Bikes (see ss). Both have Ti frames, fork, stems, handle bars and seat posts. Honestly, I don't know much about either. I did inquire with Hi-Light once regarding a custom gravel fork and the price was just to high (US$800 iirc). That's actually more than what I paid Carbon Speed (includes shipping fee but less local tax/duties) 2 years ago for a whole gravel bike frame.

Btw, the screen shots are their FaceBook account. Both had joined a local Ti bike group I'm a member of. You might want to check them out. Again, I've no experience dealing with either and I don't know much about them too.

Edit: Was reading some of the post made by Lily Liu, she mentioned price is around US$750. Not sure if that's for a custom built or pre-built model.

@tripleDot, what is the website URL for Carbon Speed?  A quick Google search leads me to two: carbonspeedcycle.com and xmcarbonspeed.com.  Both of these websites are for companies based in China.  However, I got the impression from your post that the Carbon Speed you used was domestic and thereby provided better/quicker/easier customer service.  Did I misunderstand?  Did you use one of the above companies?  Or, is there a third Carbon Speed that I haven't found yet?

Thanks!

Chad

bxcc

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2020, 01:05:38 PM »
@chadrandom, it was xmcarbonspeed.com. Peter was the owner and provided excellent customer service and communication to a majority of the people on this site. He as since moved away from carbon products and is no longer in the bicycle business. To answer your question, he was based in China.

The service and communication I've received from Waltly so far has been great. I'd shot them an email and see what you think. If you have any questions, post them up here and we should be able to help.

What are you looking to have built?

tripleDot

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2020, 01:19:01 PM »
@chadrandom, it is as bxcc mentioned. I sounded like the company is locally based probably because most members here are familiar with Peter and the company. Also "local" might be misleading as this is an international forum. Lots of Americans & European members, I myself am Asian.

You will have to speak directly with Waltly if you are planning a custom titanium frame.

chadrandom

« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2020, 01:42:12 PM »
Thank you both for the quick responses and info about the forum.  My apologies for assuming the forum was US based; I'll be more mindful in the future.

I have been checking out a variety of Ti builders in China over the past few days as I'm looking for an endurance road bike or frame.  The geometry specs that I'm seeking are quite upright (positive bar height over saddle), and pretty rare it seems.  The only US builder's ready-made frame that I've found which I think would work is Lynskey's Backroad by virtue of a massive 220mm headtube.  However, even as a cheaper option in the US by comparison to the likes of Moots. Seven, Firefly, etc, it's still pricey, and it is only available with external cable routing and a carbon fork.  I'm hoping for internal routing and a titanium fork. 

One Chinese builder that appears to have it all (ti forks, multiple types of engraving, etching, anodizing, etc.) is Hi-Light (tibicycle.com).  Does anyone here have experience working with them?

Many thanks all!