Author Topic: TanTan Seraph fm009 carbon frame review  (Read 5288 times)

mesosbrodleto

TanTan Seraph fm009 carbon frame review
« on: December 22, 2019, 04:56:02 AM »
I got an fm009 frame this summer, and rode almost 1000km on it. It is a good frame, it seems reactive, even though I would not be able to describe precisely what reactiveness is.

Unfortunately, I noticed some issues with the frame, minor issues but really annoying. The rear derailleur hanger is not perfectly aligned, with the frame, but the seller is not recognizing the issue and basically ignoring me. The sent me a spare hanger, then they keep answering: "go to a bike shop".

If you are interested in this frame, you can easily find it from other sellers. Just be sure to buy it through aliexpress or paypal, so you can ask for reimbursement.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2019, 06:06:21 AM by mesosbrodleto »

carbonazza

Re: TanTan Seraph fm009 carbon frame
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2019, 11:09:23 AM »
A bent hanger can happen, maybe a hit during transport.
Even brand bikes don't have it straight sometimes.

Did you try to straighten it with the appropriate tool ?

If you don't have the tool, or no LBS around, put an allen key 5 in the derailleur bolt that attach to the hanger.
And bend it to what looks a good position, try shifting, and repeat if needed.
But never try to bend the hanger by pulling/pushing the derailleur.

MTB2223

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2019, 03:26:44 AM »
Even you have a straight hanger, it doesn't mean it is aligned for your frame. A different thickness in the paint job under the hanger can cause issues. Or the place where the hanger is mounted isn't complete flat or straight.

When I bought a frame, I always order a spare hanger, so I don't have to wait when I order a new one in case it breaks.
After I build up the bike and aligned the hanger, first thing I do is replacing the hanger with the spare one and align the hanger again. Now I have two straight (aligned) hangers. The spare one is laying around in my car. And I don't have to use the align tool when I need the spare hanger, because it's already prepared. Just a tip.

But 9 out 10 you have to align the hanger when building up the bike. Keep that in mind.

MTB2223

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2019, 03:28:35 AM »
Oh and the alignment tool isn't that expensive. It saves you a lot of frustrations.

mesosbrodleto

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2019, 04:44:56 AM »
The alignment issue is not in terms of vertical alignment. The hole of the hanger and the hole on the frame are not aligned, and it is very tricky to fix the hanger to the frame.

carbonazza

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2019, 03:50:19 PM »
The alignment issue is not in terms of vertical alignment. The hole of the hanger and the hole on the frame are not aligned, and it is very tricky to fix the hanger to the frame.

Do you have some pictures to share ?