Author Topic: TanTan FM10 29/27.5+  (Read 38259 times)

arrkaye

Re: TanTan FM10 29/27.5+
« Reply #60 on: June 14, 2020, 04:01:44 AM »
That's interesting because Spcycle sell what looks to be the same frame but have it listed at 185/50-55. From the picture, it does look like the metal swing join is different so I assumed Seraph made their own design to support different shock lengths.

https://a.aliexpress.com/_BPP77a
https://a.aliexpress.com/_BTKo8s
« Last Edit: June 14, 2020, 04:06:09 AM by arrkaye »

emu26

« Reply #61 on: June 14, 2020, 06:23:37 AM »
That's interesting because Spcycle sell what looks to be the same frame but have it listed at 185/50-55. From the picture, it does look like the metal swing join is different so I assumed Seraph made their own design to support different shock lengths.

https://a.aliexpress.com/_BPP77a
https://a.aliexpress.com/_BTKo8s

That's why I keep saying 185 and 200 but it looks like issues with the 200 and you are right about the spycycle, the swing arm is different, recessed like it is the same but only one hole drilled.

MX72

« Reply #62 on: June 14, 2020, 06:31:31 AM »
After looking at some of the images it looks like they might have removed the second hole and limited it to 185mm.  They probably discovered the issue and this was an easy fix.  But they still haven't updated all of the documentation.

Since it looks like this order will be getting canceled, can anyone recommend a good option that will accept a 200mm shock?
« Last Edit: June 14, 2020, 06:34:11 AM by MX72 »

GuitsBoy

« Reply #63 on: June 14, 2020, 06:37:41 AM »
The manitou does have a rounded profile as opposed to teh fox's squared off nose, however I dont think theres much difference in profile.  Certainly not more than a mm or two, but I guess that could mean a considerable difference.   Still, I think this is a design flaw.  They provided a nice recess to give the shock nose plenty of clearance in the fully extended position, yet they didnt account for clearance as the suspension cycles, and the nose rolls upwards.  Should be an easy fix with a revised arch profile.  And a total non issue if you plan to use the shock in the smaller flip chip position.

The flip chip looks to be 10mm offset, not 15mm, assuming my eyeballs are properly calibrated.  If 200mm fits as it does in my frame, 190 would fit the same in the other position.    That said, I would think both 185 and 195 would fit just fine in the 190 and 200 positions respectively, however they would effectively be already 5mm into their stroke, so the bike would ride a little bit lower.  The 185x55 shock at full compression in the smaller position should finish only 3mm past a 200x57 shock, so depending on the rear tire, I could definitely see it working.

GuitsBoy

« Reply #64 on: June 14, 2020, 06:41:33 AM »
Since it looks like this order will be getting canceled, can anyone recommend a good option that will accept a 200mm shock?

While I totally understand this reaction, maybe you can hold on just a bit longer to see if they make it right?  I mean, the frame is otherwise very nice.  I really am pleased with it.  But it would probably be a good idea to voice your concern to make it clear consumers want them to fix this mistake.

MX72

« Reply #65 on: June 14, 2020, 06:56:39 AM »
I am in touch with them now, they said they will have an answer for me Monday.  If they simply eliminated the one hole to only accept a 185mm shock that might be a deal breaker for me since I really wanted something with a bit more travel.  I am even debating if its worth trying to modify it to make it work.  I will see wait to see what they say.

GuitsBoy

« Reply #66 on: June 14, 2020, 06:59:23 AM »
I think 185x55 will be the same travel as 200x57.  But its always nice to have options for different shocks, especially if you already bought a 200mm one.

MX72

« Reply #67 on: June 14, 2020, 07:08:53 AM »
I do already have the 200mm shock.  I would be willing to try 185x55 but dont see a ton of 185mm shocks available... seems like 200, 190, 165 are the popular sizes.

northup

« Reply #68 on: June 14, 2020, 04:50:15 PM »

While I totally understand this reaction, maybe you can hold on just a bit longer to see if they make it right?  I mean, the frame is otherwise very nice.  I really am pleased with it.  But it would probably be a good idea to voice your concern to make it clear consumers want them to fix this mistake.

I'll reach out to Lisa and see if she's seen this or knows what's going on. Mine is still waiting to be shipped so there might be time to address this issue.

emu26

« Reply #69 on: June 15, 2020, 01:33:15 AM »
I have just contacted them again seeking clarification on shock sizes, pointing out that three different listings and websites all have different shock sizes.  Here is the response.

Good afternoon, please refer to the frame geometry information
Rear shock   185*50mm / 185*55mm / 190*50mm /200*57mm

So it would appear in the last couple of days the geo drawing on the TanTan site has changed from 200 x 50 to 190 x 50.  I would imagine that if a 200 x 57 fits (well almost) then a 200 x 50 would also be ok but with the lesser 132mm rear travel.  Also if what guitsboy is saying about the holes only being about 10 mil apart then there is no reason why a 190 wouldn't work as well.  It would be nice to have some clarity, and also confidence, in what they are saying.

Any response yet GuitsBoy?

arrkaye

« Reply #70 on: June 15, 2020, 03:09:18 AM »
I've pointed my rep at Seraph towards this thread. She says she's looking into a solution. Hopefully they come up with something suitable.

MX72

« Reply #71 on: June 15, 2020, 05:41:14 AM »
I also got a response.  The agent I'm talking to just pointed me towards some of their documentation that says it fits a 200mm shock. I'm not convinced its fixed.  Still not sure if I should cancel or give it a shot.

GuitsBoy

« Reply #72 on: June 15, 2020, 07:55:53 AM »
So after a couple of short messages (through DH gate) asking me for pictures of the shock and size (box label, I guess) I finally got a real response:

They apologized for the problem, and said they'll be sending me two new pieces; The seat stay, as well as the main shock bracket/rocker.   I replied asking for clarification that the pieces have been redesigned to ensure the problem does not happen again, but I have to assume the only reason they would send the new rocker would be due to a change in design.

The message was light on details, but the response time was relatively quick.  It seems they have an agreeable solution within the first business day, so I'm guessing they already knew about the problem.  Anyone using a 190mm shock wouldn't be the wiser, and its possible some 200mm shocks wouldn't experience it either.  So its understandable that they would wait until people contacted them with the problem.

Unfortunately they still have to ship by sea / surface transportation, which means another 4 to 5 weeks before the frame is fixed up.   I asked if it was safe to continue riding the bike as it is, but I can't imagine they'll say yes. 

All in all, I feel they're handling the issue well.  That's pretty big, considering warranty / customer service is always the biggest unknown when ordering direct from asian manufacturers.  I'll update if/when I hear anything more.

emu26

« Reply #73 on: June 15, 2020, 03:21:53 PM »
Apart for the time in transport that is good news, lets hope that it is resolved with the new pieces.

Here is a copy of my exchange with Rose yesterday.

Me: Hello, I am very confused and hope you can help me.  This listing says 190 x 50, 190 x 57, 200 x 50 and 200 x 57 shock can be used.  On your Factory website http://tantancycling.com/index.php?_m=mod_product&_a=view&p_id=862 it says it uses a 185 50 or 185 x 55 shock but the geometry drawing shows 185 and 205 and the description under the drawing says 185 x 50, 185 x 57, 190 x 50 and 200 x 57. I have now seen this post on Chinertown http://chinertown.com/index.php/topic,2876.msg21737.html#msg21737  and post #48 it looks like the 200 x 57mm shock does not fit without rubbing on the seat stay brace.  Can you please confirm what shock actually fits in this frame?  I hope you can understand what I am asking. Thank you very much for your help.

Standard, automated initial responseDear ,Welcome to SERAPH factory store.

Our frame price does not include headset and thru axles, if you need, please buy!

Because EMS stops shipping, we can only use AliExpress logistics, I am not sure if AliExpress Logistics will be delivered within three months, No refund will be accepted during transportation.if you can not wait, please do not place orders

If you are a European country, please choose the seller's delivery method, including taxes and customs clearance, door to door, direct delivery to your home.

Working hours are Monday to Friday, 9-12 am, 14-18: 00 pm
Not working on weekends

Due to time differences we may not be able to respond to your message in time,we will first help you with intelligent customer service, I wish you a happy shopping!
About tax
custom paint
Coronavirus
Delivery time
European tariffs
Choose the size of accessories when buying a bicycle
If you do n’t know how to choose the MTB frame size
If you do n’t know how to choose the road frame size
How to choose the frame groupset bottom bracket (BB30/PF30/BB86/BSA/BB386)
Yesterday 16:12

Rose: Good afternoon, please refer to the frame geometry information
Rear shock   185*50mm / 185*55mm / 190*50mm /200*57mm
Yesterday 16:28

Thank you. Can you explain why it says different things on three different places?

The official website only filled in two dimensions, we have modified it, thank you for your reminder.
We will solve the problems in the article, don't worry
But please carefully check the geometry of the frame, it is 200*57mm, the geometry does not show 205

Excellent, thank you. Can you tell me what is happening with the Chinertown link that shows a 200 x 57 McLeod shock rubbing on the seat stay brace?
Also, the Autodesk drawing on the official Tantan website has 185 to the top position and 205 to the lower position. I would take a screen shot and show you but I don't know how to send you pictures
 Added picture, see below

Aha, I found out that the geometric figures we see are not the same

I know it is a new frame but I'm sure you can understand why it is so confusing.  Thank you.
Yesterday 16:49

This question, I will tell you after I get a reply
Yesterday 16:59

Ok, thank you very much.

chinerrider

« Reply #74 on: June 15, 2020, 04:01:12 PM »
Hi everybody, I am having a question here regarding the fork length. I didn't see TanTan indicating the correct theoretical fork length. At least I didn't find it. When they say that the frame travel is 150mm, I assume I can't use a fork with 160mm which has a bit a too long overall length? I guess it would destroy the geometrie and the way how it feels and how the bike behaves while ridding, isn't?
Maybe you guys who bought this frame already may help me? What is the fork length of the fork you chose? Do you think it would work with a fox 36 grip 2 29wheel 160mm Fork?
I would really like to buy this frame but I am a bit insecure with these figures, also with the shock length, after I read the previous posts...  :-\

Thank you very much!