Author Topic: TanTan FM10 29/27.5+  (Read 37551 times)

GuitsBoy

Re: TanTan FM10 29/27.5+
« Reply #120 on: August 17, 2020, 01:52:06 PM »
Hi! I just found this site.

Yeah i'm having some teething problems with the frame.  Like one of the posts above my front bolt for the rear shock also snapped! Doesn't fill you with confidence that the carbon itself is solid, but it appears to be....i hope.

I've ordered a titanium m10x80 bolt and nut, 3mm spacers, a rubber o-ring and washer from ebay.  Also ordered 10x50 mounting kit from: https://www.tftuned.com/tf-tuned-mount-kit-127mm-m10/p2938

I also had to hand make a aluminium adapter and drill the holes in the correct location to stop the frame rubbing.

Fingers crossed that'll be it!

Edit: i ordered the frame on the 5th of march 2020

Welcome, glad to hear from you.  Your fix seems to be a pretty good workaround.   Sucks that we have to modify things ourselves to get some added reliability, but small price in the grand scheme of things...  The carbon itself appears to be pretty stout.

I currently have two fixes for the broken shock bolt:

#1, more of a preventitive measure, keeps the existing stock bolt in place.  Instead of using spacers, I ordered a length of 1/2" OD .049 wall stainless tube for ten bucks on ebay.  The inner diameter is a perfect fit to the 10mm shaft.  I cut a section of tube to 54mm in length.  Since the hardware now spans nearly the entire width from bearing to bearing, the bolt should be much less prone to breaking at the thinner center section.  The shear strength is on the 10mm section of the bolt, not the center 8mm section.  Youll need to use the trunnion mount inner washers on either side of the tube.

#2 is similar to the fix mentioned earlier, and will help while you're waiting for replacement parts to arrive, assuming youve already broken the bolt.  I'm using off the shelf 54x8mm mounting hardware, 8mm ID 2mm thick spacers, 8mm x 70mm sex bolt (or 5/16" x 3" bolt cut to length).  And use drilled out alloy chainring bolts to fit the 8mm bolt in the 10mm inner bearing race. 

I'm still using the second option while I wait for the warranty replacement bolts, then I'll move to option 1 purely for aesthetics.  I think both options are considerably stronger than the factory bolt, and neither is particularly expensive.

emu26

« Reply #121 on: August 17, 2020, 03:13:44 PM »
Hi Skelt, welcome.

Now that you know about it have you contacted the seller to get a replacement rear triangle / rocker arms?  They should be able to send you correct stuff.

skelt

« Reply #122 on: August 18, 2020, 02:54:27 AM »
Hi Skelt, welcome.

Now that you know about it have you contacted the seller to get a replacement rear triangle / rocker arms?  They should be able to send you correct stuff.

I've sent them a message, should i get it for free?

arrkaye

« Reply #123 on: August 18, 2020, 03:25:03 AM »
Hey Guitsboy, interesting solution on the stainless steel tube. Do you have a link to the eBay listing?

arrkaye

« Reply #124 on: August 18, 2020, 03:26:12 AM »
Hi Skelt, welcome.

I've sent them a message, should i get it for free?

Yes, it's covered by the warranty they offer. Any refusal on their part would certainly be grounds for a dispute/escalation from your credit card.

emu26

« Reply #125 on: August 18, 2020, 04:42:28 AM »
Hi Skelt, yes I would be expecting it for free. Please let us know what they say, I am looking the same place you bought from and two others, on is Seraph factory store, as opposed to official store, and the other is Chic bike.  Not much difference in price but where you bought says they don't include rear axle or seat clamp but the factory store says they do. Chic bike includes both and headset but their price includes postage which means I'll be paying tax on postage, to Aus.

Did yours come with rear axle and set collar or did you have to order them?

GuitsBoy

« Reply #126 on: August 18, 2020, 06:19:20 AM »
Hey Guitsboy, interesting solution on the stainless steel tube. Do you have a link to the eBay listing?
Sure, this is the one I bought.  You can buy different lengths.  I figured id buy it long enough to have a few tries at it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/316-Stainless-Steel-Tube-1-2-OD-x-402-ID-x-049-Wall-x-9-50-Length/283685015510

Youll need to deburr the ID once you cut it, I just used a plain old file on a 45 angle around the inside edge.  Once I did that, the broken factory bolt was a perfect fit.  Its a nice tight fit through the shock bushing, and the RockShock outer mounting hardware (the parts that locate the shock) hide the stainless steel tube completely, giving you a nice all black look.

Ill take pics of it all once I have the replacement bolts.

skelt

« Reply #127 on: August 18, 2020, 06:20:43 AM »
Hi Skelt, yes I would be expecting it for free. Please let us know what they say, I am looking the same place you bought from and two others, on is Seraph factory store, as opposed to official store, and the other is Chic bike.  Not much difference in price but where you bought says they don't include rear axle or seat clamp but the factory store says they do. Chic bike includes both and headset but their price includes postage which means I'll be paying tax on postage, to Aus.

It came with the rear axle and headset.  I almost got this one (looks the same): https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000473711753.html

emu26

« Reply #128 on: August 18, 2020, 06:59:43 AM »

It came with the rear axle and headset.  I almost got this one (looks the same): https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000473711753.html

Thanks mate. I've just noticed another difference, the one from the "factory" store has aluminium races bonded into the headtube, https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000406391102.html?spm=2114.12010615.8148356.56.623a5c1f2WC7j5  looking at Guitsboy's first photo in this thread it looks like his does as well.  The "official" store, chic bike and the one you just linked don't. Did yours come with aluminium races bonded in?

GuitsBoy

« Reply #129 on: August 18, 2020, 07:06:16 AM »
Mine did indeed come with the aluminum races bonded in place, however it did not come with the headset itself.  I did get a seat post clamp, and TWO rear axles, for some reason.  I paid a little extra for two spare derailleur hangers, so maybe they threw in an axle with those?  Dont know.

Skelt, sorry, I had assumed you had already contacted warranty support to see what they can do for you.  So far my experience has been generally positive with them, but shipping times are particularly painful due to the global pandemic.  For that reason, I'm doing my best to self support through DIY fixes.  Good luck to you.

arrkaye

« Reply #130 on: August 18, 2020, 09:09:25 AM »
Mine has arrived, and built up yesterday. Few minor niggles here and there with the paint and brake mounts, but mostly quite an easy build. Waiting on a new dropper as the Pro Koryak 150mm was too long at 467mm.

emu26

« Reply #131 on: August 18, 2020, 03:27:03 PM »
Thanks guys.

That looks good arrkaye, may I ask where you ordered it from and does it have the aluminium races bonded into the headtube?

arrkaye

« Reply #132 on: August 18, 2020, 05:11:24 PM »
Sure, it was from the Seraph Factory Store on AliExpress. The lady I spoke to said it was the same as the Seraph Official Store, I was speaking to them both. Mine does have the cups bonded in.

emu26

« Reply #133 on: August 18, 2020, 05:32:51 PM »
Sure, it was from the Seraph Factory Store on AliExpress. The lady I spoke to said it was the same as the Seraph Official Store, I was speaking to them both. Mine does have the cups bonded in.

Funny you say that, I have also been speaking to both. The "official" store are adamant I don't get the axle or the seat collar and the pictures on their website don't show the aluminium. I sent them a message a couple of days ago asking about something else and got a message back from the "factory" store so I presumed they were the same supplier with 2 different "shop fronts" on Aliexpress but they are telling me different things.

Thanks.

FlaMtnBkr

« Reply #134 on: August 18, 2020, 05:59:14 PM »
arrkaye: did you get it painted? Is that a dark blue gray with matte or satin finish? Was the seller able to provide that shock or did you buy it elsewhere? What model out of curiosity?

Let us know how it rides once you get some time on it and what kind of terrain. Looks nice!