Author Topic: TanTan FM10 29/27.5+  (Read 37552 times)

arrkaye

Re: TanTan FM10 29/27.5+
« Reply #135 on: August 18, 2020, 08:07:00 PM »
Sure! It's a RS Monarch RT3 200x57. Bought locally.

Paint is a custom purple in matte. Still waiting on the seatpost so no rides yet.

I asked the store to include the axle and collar and they kindly did.

reddi

« Reply #136 on: August 20, 2020, 12:31:28 AM »
Hi arrkaye,
how much does a paintjob cost additionally?  :)

In general, i see that Tan Tan and Seraph both claim a D-Type Front Derailleur can be mounted. But i don't see a mount für that purpose on the pictures. Is there some kind of adapter included or do you think it's wrong information?
And, if you choose to use 135 mm rear travel... does it still require a 150 mm fork or a shorter one? 150 mm is too much for my purpose, i think. I am merely thinking about building a ~130 mm Trailbike, but didn't see a fitting frame so far. Maybe take the FM10 and some lighter components?

arrkaye

« Reply #137 on: August 20, 2020, 01:15:08 AM »
Paint was like an extra £60.

It looks like it had the mount for a regular braze-on derailleur - no adapter in the box.

Typically you can go +/- 10mm on the front travel without too much trouble. Any more and you start affecting the head angle too much and placing a stress on the head tube that the frame wasn't designed for. If you want less travel, I'd probably recommend a different frame - there are a few lighter ones designed for shorter travel forks.

reddi

« Reply #138 on: August 20, 2020, 08:10:07 AM »
Yes, i am totally aware that the FM10 has more travel and is heavier than what i think of. But, by now the only suitable frame i found is the ICAN P1, wich i dont like too much. So i'm thinking about alternatives ;) Maybe i will go for 150 mm instead of 130. Better having without needing something, instead of needing and not having it.
(in case i opt for a trailbike, it will be a budget build anyway... so weight cannot be my fist concern)

60 Bucks for a colour other than black sonds like a nice option. I'll keep that in mind.

skelt

« Reply #139 on: August 20, 2020, 03:39:07 PM »
Yes, i am totally aware that the FM10 has more travel and is heavier than what i think of. But, by now the only suitable frame i found is the ICAN P1, wich i dont like too much. So i'm thinking about alternatives ;) Maybe i will go for 150 mm instead of 130. Better having without needing something, instead of needing and not having it.
(in case i opt for a trailbike, it will be a budget build anyway... so weight cannot be my fist concern)

60 Bucks for a colour other than black sonds like a nice option. I'll keep that in mind.

to get 150mm i think you need 27.5 wheels, i've got 29ers and i'm using a 200x51mm shock, if i put in 200x57 i think the rear wheel would hit the seatpost, but i might be wrong.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2020, 03:47:05 PM by skelt »

CzHuska

« Reply #140 on: August 23, 2020, 12:14:49 AM »
Received my frame yesterday and have been putting it together as I wait for BB and to pickup a shock tomorrow (200x51). I got 29er wheels and I was not sure what length shock to get (vs. 185), will switch to 27.5. Wheel does not hit seat post with a continental mountain king in 2.3.

They almost sent me the FM356 until I asked about derailleur hangers. Finish on the frame for me is 'eh' with areas around the frame I have had to file/sand down. Largest issue I have is the dropper post not going in all the way due to a ring of CF that was left which I have almost smoothed out. I was considering ordering a hardtail from them for myself and a friend, but after this process I'll have to pass on it.

« Last Edit: August 23, 2020, 01:04:22 AM by CzHuska »

GuitsBoy

« Reply #141 on: August 23, 2020, 07:02:32 AM »
Received my frame yesterday...
Finish on the frame for me is 'eh' with areas around the frame I have had to file/sand down. Largest issue I have is the dropper post not going in all the way due to a ring of CF that was left which I have almost smoothed out. I was considering ordering a hardtail from them for myself and a friend, but after this process I'll have to pass on it.

Bike looks nice.  Yeah, I'll agree that the finish might have been just a touch short of the quality other china carbon frames have arrived in.  Especially the replacement parts they sent.  In fact, I decided to keep my original modified parts on the bike until I have a reason to swap out.  The finish one side of the metal bracket is completely rough and unfinished, as if someone surfaced that edge with a grinder by hand.  I chalk it up to them trying to catch up with the backlog after the coronavirus shutdown.  Maybe others manufacturers are experiencing similar issues as well.

Anyway, couple the lackluster finish with the lack of QC, and the broken parts and all the DIY work this frame has required, and it may well be my last TanTan frame too.  Still, the proof is in the pudding, and if the carbon is strong and frame works well with the modifications, I'll still be quite pleased with the purchase.  My bikes dont stay perfect and unscratched for very long.  Only time will tell how this frame fares.

emu26

« Reply #142 on: August 23, 2020, 03:23:00 PM »
Got pictures of the sort of thing you are talking about?

skelt

« Reply #143 on: August 26, 2020, 03:12:04 AM »
pic of the build, im pretty happy with it now

CzHuska

« Reply #144 on: August 28, 2020, 10:15:26 PM »
That was quick, 2 hours of me riding and shock bolt snapped. The frame was nice, I was having an issue with my chain tension and the derailleur not expanded XT 12sp.

Also with a dnm 36rc 200mm it hits the part they adjusted, emailing them right now about it and a replacement bolt (will that even last 1hr longer?).

Really had plans to buy a HT frame for me and a FS for a friend.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2020, 11:35:25 PM by CzHuska »

arrkaye

« Reply #145 on: August 29, 2020, 02:21:32 AM »
That sucks. I've just messaged and my rep said they're replacing the bolt with a stainless steel version. I've asked for a replacement as I really don't want to have it fail and potentially cause a crash. Let's see what they say.

emu26

« Reply #146 on: August 29, 2020, 03:32:20 AM »

Skelt, what is that white thing strapped to the frame?

emu26

« Reply #147 on: August 29, 2020, 03:39:10 AM »
That was quick, 2 hours of me riding and shock bolt snapped. The frame was nice, I was having an issue with my chain tension and the derailleur not expanded XT 12sp.

Also with a dnm 36rc 200mm it hits the part they adjusted, emailing them right now about it and a replacement bolt (will that even last 1hr longer?).

Was it the top bolt or the one down near the linkage?

GuitsBoy

« Reply #148 on: August 29, 2020, 08:04:12 AM »

Read my previous posts, Ive run into both issues.   

For the shock clearance, use a dremel and sanding disk and remove some carbon where the nose of the shock rubs.  Then smear on tiny but of 2-part epoxy to seal the fibers.  The seat stays are plenty strong enough, and the arch portion is thick carbon.  Lots to work with, it seems.

As for the bolt, you have a couple different choices.  The option that will get you up and running today is to run to the hardware store and get a 5/16 x 3" bolt and nyloc nut for a couple bucks.   Youll need to find some old chainring bolts from your parts box, or visit a local bike shop.  Alloy bolts are better because you need to drill the threads out.  Then you can use the female chainring bolts as an adapter so the 5/6 bolt will fit snugly in the 10mm bearings ID.

http://chinertown.com/index.php/topic,2876.msg22209.html#msg22209

There are some other more elegant solutions, but will require ordering special parts.  The 5/16 bolt will get you back up and running immediately, even if it will look a little funny for a while.

Good luck.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2020, 08:07:22 AM by GuitsBoy »

skelt

« Reply #149 on: August 31, 2020, 08:44:23 AM »

Skelt, what is that white thing strapped to the frame?

haha its for attaching the dog, to stop the line getting caught up in the front wheel.