Author Topic: OG Evkin CF-052  (Read 4594 times)

itsdikey

OG Evkin CF-052
« on: February 27, 2020, 01:05:43 AM »
So yesterday inspired by the user jakub and his pictures of the build I decided to buy the frame too. I placed my order yesterday.

I could not decide between two frames; this and TanTan FM599, but TanTan frame had the weird RD routing(on the right side) and did not come with switchable dropouts, and I was not feeling like buying new wheels yet. After talking with both sellers, the OG Evkin seller was much more helpful and ready to answer the questions.

I will update the post as it goes from shipping up to the build and then get as many specifications of the frame as possible and post it here for everyone in the future as a reference.

So far,

Communication with the seller:
Contacted the seller a week ago as two different sellers were selling the frame with names; OG Evkin Store, and OG Evkin Official store. I have contacted the official store and asked them what the difference is, the seller answered promptly that there is no difference, but also provided several coupons, so I naturally purchased from them.
Communication so far has been excellent. Seller, unlike many other sellers in AliExpress, communicates in excellent and understandable English.
There was one issue that the branded frame in my size was not in stock. However, the seller was kind enough to send me the frame in yet unbranded state.

Update 1: Shipping
I have asked the seller to ship within china to a courier service, so I won't have to wait much for the frame to arrive in my country(I live in Armenia), the seller agreed and the shipping took only one day, up from the moment of sending to receiving it.

P.S. The frame in question
« Last Edit: February 28, 2020, 02:01:53 PM by itsdikey »

mikethebike74

Re: OG Evkin CF-052
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2020, 02:15:03 AM »
I built my bike a month ago based on this frame, I absolutely love it
I can recommend the seller, fast delivery and very good communication

itsdikey

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2020, 06:03:55 AM »
Hey Mike, that bike looks really nice. Unfortunately my frame came in with a crack on chainstay, but once again the customer service was great and sent the replacement right away. So I am waiting for the replacement frame to arrive.

carbonazza

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2020, 05:06:48 AM »
Hey Mike, that bike looks really nice. Unfortunately my frame came in with a crack on chainstay, but once again the customer service was great and sent the replacement right away. So I am waiting for the replacement frame to arrive.

Nice from them!
Did you order directly, do you have an email? Or through Aliexpress ?

mikethebike74

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2020, 04:11:41 PM »
I ordered via Aliexpress, shipping took around 3 weeks

http://s.aliexpress.com/3EjqAVJ7

itsdikey

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2020, 10:16:33 AM »

Nice from them!
Did you order directly, do you have an email? Or through Aliexpress ?

Same, through AliExpress. They said that they will accept PayPal too, but they prefer to do everything via AliExpress.
New frame unfortunately did not arrive yet, I am told that given the pandemic, most of the flights are cancelled, and also online orders increased significantly, so this one may take some time.

What surprises me the most, is that given the quite average price for the frame, the customer support is one of the better ones.

itsdikey

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2020, 02:37:18 AM »
The build got delayed because of COVID and my bachelor capstone, but here is info that might help future builders
  • As I like Cane Creek I decided to use Cane Creek headset, I bought couple of headsets from them, unfortunately none of them fitted as a top bearing, but I was able to fit ZS series 52 with 45/45 angles as a bottom bearing. Top part of the CaneCreek 40 headset fit with no problems aside from the bearing so I have used the one shipped with the frame.
  • For the bottom bracket I am running ZTTO threadfit BB92, with replaced Wheels MFG Enduro 24x37 bearings. However after replacing the bearing my 38t oval is barely cleaning it, so I had to put 3x1mm spacers on the driveside and 4x1mm spacers on the non-driveside
  • I have replaced the hangers to QR, and rear wheel fits very tightly, i.e. I have to use significant force to put it into the place.
  • Routing is pretty easy, I reckon you can route without use of internal routing kit just as easily as with it.
  • I am running 180mm disc brake with no problem at all. The fork is 100mm and no problems there too (looking to upgrade to Rockshox SID Ultimate 120mm next spring, so will update how that goes)
  • So far I have done only 500 miles on it, but there is no issues aside bottom bracket creaks. That started around 400 miles in during 20 mile ride with around 300 feet elevation, after regreasing bb the noise went away, but came back after around 500 mile during manual training session, ideally I would upgrade to a better BB (I have token ninja in mind but will happy to see your suggestions) 

itsdikey

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2020, 03:04:48 AM »

carbonazza

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2020, 06:12:03 AM »
The ZTTO BB is not that bad. I'm using one on my MTB and there is no creaks.
I changed the bearings too.

Did you try to put the a Loctite retaining compound instead of greasing the bottom bracket ?
Degreasing it and putting either:
Loctite 609( or Vibra-Tite 530 ) is for press fit, when it is tight.
Loctite 638( or Vibra-Tite 538 ) is for slip fit, if the BB is a bit loose and can be moved by hand.

itsdikey

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2020, 01:45:22 AM »
TBH did not try loctite compound as I am afraid it will seize and I won't be able to remove it anymore.
Also do you apply it on the cups or outer race of the bearing or both?
« Last Edit: September 06, 2020, 01:47:38 AM by itsdikey »

carbonazza

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2020, 02:17:42 AM »
TBH did not try loctite compound as I am afraid it will seize and I won't be able to remove it anymore.
Also do you apply it on the cups or outer race of the bearing or both?

Like the one you may put on screws, it is done to be unmounted, although with some additional force.
When pressing, and the BB is a few mm in, you put it all around the BB, spreading it with your finger. And resume pressing.