Author Topic: Suggestions on Arranging Forum Topics?  (Read 906 times)

Sitar_Ned

Suggestions on Arranging Forum Topics?
« on: April 21, 2020, 07:07:22 PM »
Hi all,

I was hoping some of you might take the time to help me decide how to best format this forum in terms of different sections and their topics of discussion.

I think the current arrangement could be improved upon. Things have changed quite a bit since this forum was set up and "plus" size tires have become more common to the point that many newer frames accommodate a wide range of sizes rather than making "plus" specific frames. The lines are getting blurred. So it doesn't really make sense to me to keep the current set up with a separate "29er" and "29 plus" section... there's just too much overlap now. It seems they might should be combined?

Here's the current set up:

29er
26er & 27.5 (650b)
29+ & 27+
Fat Bikes

Component Deals & Selection
After The Ride
Vendor Discussion & Reviews
Classifieds

Road Bike Frames, Wheels & Components
Cyclocross Frames, Wheels & Components

Here's what I'm thinking of changing it to:

29er
Fat Bikes + 26er
MTB Component Selection

Road, Cyclocross, and Gravel
Road Component Selection

After The Ride
Vendor Reviews
Classifieds

I'd really appreciate some feedback from you all as I'd like to get it right this time to avoid having to change it again in the future. Maybe I should leave it as is as to not confuse people? I'm open to all opinions.

Thanks for reading.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2020, 09:29:41 PM by Sitar_Ned »

emu26

Re: Suggestions on Arranging Forum Topics?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2020, 08:30:03 PM »
I, for one, don't like change, but that's because I'm at age where I can play the grumpy old man card, when it suits me.  Actually, not true, I'm just a grumpy man, period.

I understand the desire for change but I feel that will only cloud the issues more.  Sitar I am responding purely from a selfish point of view.  I am looking for a 27.5 + frame and am struggling to find what I want, everything that gets close is advertised as 29er.  When you reach out to manufacturers to see if that 29er frame will take 27.5+ tyres you get the standard "it might be we are not sure" reply. Whilst I understand that many of the newer frames will accommodation wider tyres, knowing which ones will go to 2.8's or even 3.0's is often hard enough, hence the reason I feel it will only be even more clouded when the forums are merged.

Again, I am answering from a point of view of looking for something very specific so please take this response as you see fit. I appreciate this site and will continue to visit regardless of it's layout.

Emu.

Jotegr

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2020, 10:35:17 PM »
My only suggestion would be to make a spot for people to discuss Chinese steel/ti/alloy bikes. I'm not sure how busy this area would be but at least there might be some resources gathered there over time for those looking for more information.

I'm also not sure organizing around wheel size is the best thing. Maybe full sus, hardtail, fatbike, and road/cross/gravel? All mountain versus trail and XC? right now 29er is the most busy, and I don't see that changing in the foreseeable future until maybe 31" wheels come out or something. So I guess before any re-design is done, I'd maybe ask what is the goal here? Make it easier for people to find info? Better categorize active discussions? If its the latter, maintaining wheel size divisions probably isn't the way to move forward.

It's also a relatively small forum so I don't know if its the biggest deal either. Your call!
« Last Edit: April 21, 2020, 10:38:28 PM by Jotegr »

Julian2002

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2020, 06:12:34 AM »
I agree with Jotegr, organizing it in new catgeories would be the best but of coure this will be a greater effort than just adding some new categories.
I personally think it would be great to restructure the component Deals & Selection Section because i was looking for a 29er wheelset and i could hardly find anything. Maybe just create some more topics for example Wheels, Bars etc.
This would be a Lot of work though so I understand if thats not what you want,
Julian

ChinaCruz

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2020, 12:16:05 PM »
As of now, there doesn't seem to be enough traffic (imo) to justify much differentiation. I'd lump the 27.5, plus, and 29er in one forum. I'd reduce the number of stickies and just let the popular threads get bumped to the top.

Sitar_Ned

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2020, 12:17:52 PM »
Thanks for all the input so far, all good points.

Pharaohollie

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2020, 02:16:16 AM »
I am fairly new to ChinerTown. I think the reorganizing proposed in the OP would make better sense, but I think generally speaking things are fine as they are (so if it is a big effort to rearrange the forums, just leave them as they are!). I agree with the need to add some additional categories, like Chinese Ti.

seat_boy

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2020, 01:34:25 PM »
Here's another vote for breaking it up by full suspension and hardtail. At least for me, I don't have any cross shopping here, but 29er can easily cross to 27.5+, etc.

So maybe something like:

- hardtails
- full suspension
- road, gravel, and cross
- fatbikes and other
- classifieds
- general
My blog, some of it about China Carbon stuff:
http://www.bikingtoplay.blogspot.com/