Author Topic: new frame LTbikes?  (Read 5155 times)

eminius

Re: new frame LTbikes?
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2020, 01:03:55 AM »
How you doin...any new pictures...

bruto

« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2020, 10:50:06 AM »
almost there

bruto

« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2020, 01:09:07 PM »

RDY

« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2020, 10:46:36 AM »

So have you talked to LT now that you have it rideable?  What is their view / solution for all the issues.

If they've sold more than one unit, you're surely not the only one to have these problems.

bruto

« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2020, 11:47:21 AM »
In order for the suspension to move unimpeded, I had to replace 6 pivot spacers/washers and file the lower link down quite a bit:

Also the rear derailleur hanger, despite looking quite solidly made, doesn't align with the b-screw very well so this ghetto solution had to be applied (RD is Box one 11spd):

Sent them a link to this thread, will see what happens
« Last Edit: July 19, 2020, 03:18:08 PM by bruto »

bruto

« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2020, 04:26:15 AM »

It is for a 60mm stroke shock after all (and not 205x65 as LTbikes representative assured me)

Shock in the video:

Dirt

« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2020, 01:46:02 AM »
Thank you for the update.  It's a nice looking bike.  It's unfortunate you had to go through the ordeal with your shock, but hopefully your efforts will save someone else the headache in the future. 

bruto

« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2020, 09:01:00 AM »
well you can buy a 60mm shock but I dunno if you can buy a frameset that doesn't require this much work to actually work :)

RDY

« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2020, 07:43:32 PM »
I'm assuming they haven't responded to you?

If they intend to sell many bikes outside of China, it would be in their interests to respond and address the problems, since this thread will be viewed by most potential buyers, if they do any Googling.

bruto

« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2020, 08:46:18 AM »
I don't expect them to respond quickly, probably still looking at the photos I sent them last Tuesday
might have to email them videos as well because youtube probably doesn't open in China either without using VPN to circumvent the firewall

emu26

« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2020, 05:45:32 PM »
bruto, it looks like you have filed down the link to allow for full extension of the shock, is that correct?  Would that be necessary using the 60mm shock or only because they gave you the wrong shock size?

bruto

« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2020, 09:52:54 PM »
you mean full compression of the shock
65mm won't work - see the second video where the seatstay bridge hits the seat tube at bottom out

it kinda had full range of travel as documented in the first video - just with a little hitch at about 40-45mm into shock stroke which probably wasn't good for the bearings :) oh, and reduced smoothness of travel quite a bit

regarding the link touching the BB shell - I guess it's either down to manufacturing variances (lower pivot location relative to the rest of the front triangle) or whoever designed this bigger lower link (original one is smaller and doesn't seem to have the second brace - see http://yuris.seesaa.net/article/458910710.html ) had his numbers off and didn't leave enough clearance between the link and the frame to allow for too much paint or carbon

Maybe someone from LTbikes can clear this up

btw, the frame has completely enclosed BB shell and head tube which is good I guess - water can't enter BB through the seat or down tube

bruto

« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2020, 07:20:32 AM »
so they gladly apologize for painted bearings and me having to make new pivot shims to better suit the asymmetry of this particular frame, but no more than that
thanked me for pointing out that listed weight is 1kg lower than actual and that listed shock stroke is incorrect

more funny shit about the linkage, however

in response to my bitching about me having to grind down the lower link to make it stop touching the frame in the middle of travel, LT's contact person (a girl, judging by the English name chosen) suggested a few times that I put this little (11mm thick) elastic block back where I removed it from - between lower link and BB shell

in the photo, the frame is built and due to the shock having a negative spring, is not at full extension and I cant squeeze the block back in without some force
its pictured upside down - was bolted to the link from the inside

my understanding is that it's function is to prevent the frame from moving during transportation so I removed it when found out that it prevents free frame movement without the shock

she, however, sent me a video of this frame on their endurance testing (my guess) rig that pulls down on the seat tube with some force while having the axles fixed
and even in this video, a spike in resistance at about 2/3 through the travel (where this block most is compressed), is visible despite the machine probably exerting a few hundred kg-force on the frame

she is adamant that it needs to be there for some purpose that is yet unexplained to me

any ideas who and why would want to add this mid-stroke bumper?

by the way, the block wouldn't prevent the need to grind the link down because it still came in contact with BB shell at one point in travel, would've just taken more force to reach that point with the rubber thing in there

don't deal with this company (LTbikes), save yourself the hassle
« Last Edit: August 11, 2020, 07:24:51 AM by bruto »

RDY

« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2020, 05:25:58 PM »
I'd be very, very surprised if LT do their own layups and have their own testing rigs.  This looks like poorly informed (not dishonest) agents selling stuff from a bad workshop (as opposed to factory).  There's just too much wrong here.  The frame itself seems like a nicely designed open mold that could have sold a shitload if Light Carbon had done a version of it as they originally announced ... but who ever is responsible for putting this together doesn't seem to have had much if any expertise or experience, or they were cowboys and didn't care.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2020, 05:33:02 PM by RDY »

FlaMtnBkr

« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2020, 10:34:10 PM »
Is the block that translucent piece with 2 bolts going thru it?

I agree that the description sounds like a block to stop movement during shipping. I'm surprised it's allowing full travel since the suspension travels along a pre determined path and if it's impeded the movement should stop or additional resistance is applied from the mini elastomer spring, which if needed, should have been designed into the suspension kinematics. Since the link would otherwise hit the BB shell and the block still allows the suspension to reach full travel, then something must be flexing quite a bit.

I would be really interested in an explanation from the company but having dealt with these types of companies and the language barrier, I know that's highly unlikely. I imagine you either push for a refund because of all the problems, dispute the purchase with credit card if possible, or do what you're doing and try to get it rideable and get as much use as possible. It's a shame because it looks like it could have a lot of potential.

Let us know what happens and how it rides if you get there.