Author Topic: Another Tan Tan FM10  (Read 10450 times)

northup

Re: Another Tan Tan FM10
« Reply #60 on: November 06, 2020, 12:40:19 AM »
I've had a lot of questions about the Dairs wheels, so I wanted to post here that... they never showed up :( I'm still trying to figure out what went wrong with that.

On the other hand, the light bicycle AM733s I have are fantastic, and the bitex hubs are the best I've ever had on a bike (but I've never had much top shelf gear, so this whole bike is really a massive upgrade for me).

The Fovno cranks - I did have trouble with them, but I think there may have been some 'operator error' on those, so I'm not convinced the parts are shit, it's possible the shit's on me for that one. I've gotten my hands on a new crank bolt and am going to do some more testing before I call them a waste of money. Hopefully I'll have some updates in the spring.

Have had a blast on the bike though! I think that going with the cheap frame and cheap components all around except for wheels and suspension was the right call, at least for me.

carbonazza

« Reply #61 on: November 07, 2020, 01:34:11 PM »
...The Fovno cranks...

Did you try the DUB version or the 24mm one ?

Icyseanfitz

« Reply #62 on: November 08, 2020, 04:21:44 PM »
The crank bolts on the fonvo cranks stripped for me so i had to cut through the axle, metal used was far too soft

northup

« Reply #63 on: November 09, 2020, 01:01:40 PM »
Did you try the DUB version or the 24mm one ?

The 24mm version

northup

« Reply #64 on: November 09, 2020, 01:04:18 PM »
The crank bolts on the fonvo cranks stripped for me so i had to cut through the axle, metal used was far too soft

Good to know. I may go with the zrace blade as a replacement, the one with the steel spindle.

d3sertcr4wlr

« Reply #65 on: May 23, 2021, 05:59:53 PM »
After buying a set of the same brakes, curious as to wether they are any good.

I’m also curious how these shimano clones turned out??

northup

« Reply #66 on: August 09, 2021, 11:07:22 AM »
I’m also curious how these shimano clones turned out??

They are awesome! A bit challenging to bleed, but they've been flawless and 0 maintenance for a year or so. I bought another set for another build.

Snacks

« Reply #67 on: August 09, 2021, 02:44:22 PM »
They are awesome! A bit challenging to bleed, but they've been flawless and 0 maintenance for a year or so. I bought another set for another build.

That's good to hear! I've been eyeing these as well . Just curious what kind of riding you're doing with them. Would you say they'd be good for AM or Enduro?

northup

« Reply #68 on: August 19, 2021, 07:41:59 AM »
That's good to hear! I've been eyeing these as well . Just curious what kind of riding you're doing with them. Would you say they'd be good for AM or Enduro?

I don't ride that aggressively (yet) as I'm out on the east coast USA. I'm moving to Calgary soon so I expect to test them out on some longer rides/longer sustained descents. They had no issue on a trip to Colorado for some half day rides with ~1000ft elevation. I don't expect they're the best, but I'll update if they have any issues.

northup

« Reply #69 on: August 19, 2021, 07:44:21 AM »
I switched out the fovno cranks for a set of ZRace Blade cranks (with the steel spindle).  Two reasons, one, the BB is low on this bike running 27.5s so I need to find a way to reduce pedal strike. So far so good. The other is the Fovno aluminum spindle gave me a scare early on, and although I was able to solve the problem with those cranks, I'd rather have some extra durability under my feet for the the (hopefully small but unmeasured) weight penalty.

emu26

« Reply #70 on: August 19, 2021, 04:37:10 PM »
I switched out the fovno cranks for a set of ZRace Blade cranks (with the steel spindle).  Two reasons, one, the BB is low on this bike running 27.5s so I need to find a way to reduce pedal strike. So far so good. The other is the Fovno aluminum spindle gave me a scare early on, and although I was able to solve the problem with those cranks, I'd rather have some extra durability under my feet for the the (hopefully small but unmeasured) weight penalty.

What length cranks did you go to?

I'm at 170s and still get pedal strike if I'm not concentrating and that is rockier sections of fire trail, not rock gardens or anything overly technical. Am about to pull the trigger on a SR Suntour Durolux EQ 29er @ 150 and 29er wheels but am concerned that at 570 A2C the fork will slack out the front too much. I currently have a Rhythm 27.5 with a crown race spacer in it.  Have looked into angleset headsets but because the cups are bonded into the frame I haven't been able to find one.