Author Topic: Custom Waltly Titanium 29er  (Read 14354 times)

ottoreni

Re: Custom Waltly Titanium 29er
« Reply #60 on: July 20, 2023, 10:31:25 AM »
My frame rips!  I started out as a hardtail rider 20 plus years ago and it is still my favorite kind of frame to ride.  Admittedly, now that I am older, it beats me up more, but I find no other frame type as satisfying to “feel” the trail.

My frame is going on three years now, probably somewhere between 4,000 to 5,000 miles on it.  It is one of three frames I ride.I have been happy with it! 

Now that I have seen the crack on yours, I will have to check over that area.  I do run a 400mm x 30.9 seatpost that snugly fits.  My first Walty frame (circa 2014) was speced for a 27.2 post, but like yours, I had to shim it. I was lucky to find an old Syncros 27.4 that fit perfectly

bxcc

« Reply #61 on: September 13, 2023, 12:17:11 PM »
New frame is ready to ship. I hope to have a bit better luck with this one.

00Garza

« Reply #62 on: September 13, 2023, 02:13:17 PM »
New frame is ready to ship. I hope to have a bit better luck with this one.

Wow. Pretty long turnaround time on your cracked frame. What was the delay?
With how its gone down, would you say its still worth it to try chinese Ti?

bxcc

« Reply #63 on: September 14, 2023, 11:43:41 AM »
Most of the turnaround was on my end as I wasn't sure what I was going to do. Once the order was placed, it was still about 2 months until the frame was ready though.

As far as going down this road again, I'll have to wait and see how this frame works out. The gravel frame Waltly made for me has been great so it could be a design issue with the frame that cracked. The small changes I've made to this one will hopefully strengthen up the area that cracked on the first frame.

casual_build

« Reply #64 on: September 18, 2023, 12:09:21 PM »
Those of you who have gone through the design process with Waltly, how difficult is getting some modern geo? I would love a TI hardtail similar to the Marin San Quentin or El Roy, but I am totally new to bike design.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2023, 03:24:01 PM by casual_build »

bxcc

« Reply #65 on: September 18, 2023, 12:52:53 PM »
One nice thing about going through Waltly, or any other Chinese Ti vendor, you can pick the geometry you want. Just send them the geometry chart for the bike you want it to be like and they can match it. Most of the time, you can keep that geometry and add some custom touches like internal routing, sliding drop outs, or my favorite twin top tubes. As long as there's no conflicting design aspects but they will tell you if it can't be done.

tripleDot

« Reply #66 on: November 06, 2023, 01:30:11 AM »
Those of you who have gone through the design process with Waltly, how difficult is getting some modern geo? I would love a TI hardtail similar to the Marin San Quentin or El Roy, but I am totally new to bike design.

To be honest, I don't know what constitute modern geo. But I have 3 custom frames from Waltly. My geos are based on Jamis (gravel bike) and Niner (HT XC & gravel bike) with some modifications and added features. Communication is pretty smooth. As long as you can articulate what you want in English, there won't be any ptoblem. Waltly's people are pretty knowledgeable with the bike standards. They have often gave me options when I was unclear with what I wanted. But the one thing I would like to emphasize is their patience. I was initially going for a Trek Stache elevated chainstay. It took us close to 2 weeks trying to make it work. Unfortunately, it couldn't be done so I had to go to plan B. Even though I settled for my second choice, I wasn't completely bummed as we did try to make it work. So if the modern geo you want is doable, they will do it. If not, they will inform you.
July 2020 - Custom Waltly Ti 29er
Nov 2018 - Custom Waltly Ti Gravel
Apr 2018 - CS-496 29x3.0 - stripped
Feb 2018 - CS-RB01 (SS Road)
Sep 2016 - CS-RB01 (road sold)
Jun 2016 - Chinese CF XC - stripped
Mar 2016 - Haro Projekt (sold)
Feb 2008 - Jamis Durango 29 (sold)
Mar 2001 - Scott Scale (sold)