Author Topic: Is R-099 the right choice for my frame?  (Read 1030 times)

erik

Is R-099 the right choice for my frame?
« on: July 27, 2020, 05:04:07 PM »
Hi all,

I'm looking to build a Chiner road bicycle for my girlfriend. She currently has a 2017 Raleigh Revere 1, and is quickly outgrowing it, so I thought it would be perfect to build a bike for her!

What I'm looking for:
- Standard road bike geometry
- Disc brakes
- 28c wheels
- 56cm frame
- ideally hidden cables
- pretty colors (anyone have recommendations to mockup a design?)

What she uses it for
- Daily commuter (San Francisco)
- General riding (~25-50 miles)

Trying to keep the price under $1250 total
- 105 groupset
- Alloy wheels
- Carbon Frame + handlebar

With all that being said, does anyone have the R-099, or have any recommendations for another frame to look into?
http://www.velobuildmall.com/products/2020-vb-r-099-aero-carbon-fiber-road-frame-disc-version-hidden-cables

RDY

Re: Is R-099 the right choice for my frame?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2020, 08:38:41 PM »
Assuming she's also riding a 56 in the Raleigh, the 56 in that linked Velobuild is going to a have a bit less stack, and a lot more reach (16mm is a lot).

No idea how tall she is or what her build is like, but women are typically better off going for something with less reach and more stack,  even potentally as a racer, as they typically have longer legs and shorter torsos than men. Almost all the female pros ride endurance bikes or womens bikes (exaggerated endurance geometry) in stage races and classics.

If she has a typically long legged  build (relative to the average man), I'd look at something more relaxed - there aren't too many really relaxed Chinese Endurance road frames I know of. So maybe consider a cyclocross or gravel bike. She'll probably be a lot more comfortable,  and it'll better deal with knocks and abuse of commuting.

erik

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2020, 10:17:06 PM »
Thank you, this is a really great call out. I think you're right about endurance/gravel frames. She is 5'10": long legs, short torso, long arms

I'll check out some gravel frame options and be sure to look at geometry more closely.

carbonazza

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2020, 12:19:30 AM »
I'm 5'10", long legs(35") and the Carbonda CFR505 medium is a great fit as a road bike or gravel for me.
And you can ask them to paint it in any shiny color you like.
Ask Wing at sales1@carbonda.com for details.