Author Topic: Carbonda Gravel Carbon frame CFR707  (Read 53782 times)

kbernstein

Re: Carbonda Gravel Carbon frame CFR707
« Reply #195 on: September 27, 2023, 03:02:34 AM »
Whom should I contact in Carbonda about purchasing the frame? Is it info@carbonda.com, or is it better to contact someone in particular?
In my experience a year and a half ago, better to contact someone in particular.
Contacting "info" I never got a response. I then emailed adam@carbonda and got a response.

You can also deal with "wing" but i don't know the exact email

sivan

« Reply #196 on: September 30, 2023, 01:22:23 AM »
Hi
Anyone having picture on a carbonda cfr707 that is only clearcoated ( so you can see the carbonfiber )

jannmayer

« Reply #197 on: September 30, 2023, 01:37:08 AM »
I ordered a plain matte finish, if that is what you are curious about. It was pretty much flat black with very little (if any) carbon texture visible.

sivan

« Reply #198 on: September 30, 2023, 03:53:06 AM »
I ordered a plain matte finish, if that is what you are curious about. It was pretty much flat black with very little (if any) carbon texture visible.

looks like mine :-)

ordered the matte as well . it seems like it has a layer of black primer or color under  the matte clearcoat.  Im looking for frame with clear primer and gloss so you can see the fiber

Pedaldancer

« Reply #199 on: September 30, 2023, 06:39:07 AM »
Hi
Anyone having picture on a carbonda cfr707 that is only clearcoated ( so you can see the carbonfiber )

That's a special paint job.  They can do it with some slightly transparent colors on top or just black as you want.
The common matt UD is indeed painted with the black matte finish. They will sand that down and make a clear coat on the frame.

Opadeira

« Reply #200 on: October 02, 2023, 09:44:18 AM »
I ran full housing for the rear derailleur past the bottom bracket and out the chainstay. For the front derailleur, I ran the housing to the stopper in that little rectangular plastic piece under the bottom bracket and then just the inner to the derailleur. I  used a bit of the plastic guide that came with the frame to line the last little bit of the cable and hopefully keep dirt off.

Shifting has been good after getting it dialed in. The tension in the front derailleur cable holds that plastic part in, so I couldn't pull it out for the picture without having to loosen the cable at the derailleur.

I'm glad I opened it up for the picture. It looks like once of the inserts for the cover bolts is corroding so I will have to grease it really good.

I contacted Carbonda and this is the "official" way to do it. Just for the record :). I decided to run full cable housing to the front mech tough as it was stated to do this in the Shimano GRX manual. This way the cable is also protected from dirt that will come off the tire at this location.

carbonazza

« Reply #201 on: October 02, 2023, 05:35:43 PM »
...You can also deal with "wing" but i don't know the exact email

sales1[at]carbonda.com

FabioZang

« Reply #202 on: October 05, 2023, 12:51:07 AM »
My CFR707 is completed, and here are some photos of the new bike.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/oeXM3WUUDXkVLBxz9

For the paint finish, I chose RAL5004 with added pearl sparkle. Its effect under sunlight is absolutely perfect, shining and dazzling. However, the paint finish details are not particularly perfect, with slightly sloppy transitions, and the overall paint quality is passable, probably at a 7.5/10 level.

The frame is a semi-internal routing version, and I opted for the UDH hanger, which allows for maximum upgrade potential in the future without sacrificing support for standard derailleurs. The frame craftsmanship is flawless, with smooth inner walls. The only issue is that the cable guide cannot be fully inserted into the frame, which is related to my assembly sequence, and I can't solely blame Carbonda for the problem.

For the drivetrain, I chose the L-twoo GR9 hydraulic groupset. So far, it has been working well with precise shifting. I paired it with Shimano UR300 calipers and 180mm rotors for strong braking power. I also used the mineral brake fluid from EZmtb. They claim that this mineral brake fluid, labeled as #6, offers a lighter feel and can handle higher working temperatures compared to Shimano's original brake fluid. I will continue using this combination until any significant issues arise.

The complete configuration is listed in the last image, with all prices in Chinese Yuan and excluding shipping costs.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/EyXH5r7nxEqRB6zd7

jannmayer

« Reply #203 on: October 05, 2023, 12:55:22 AM »
My CFR707 is completed, and here are some photos of the new bike.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/oeXM3WUUDXkVLBxz9

For the paint finish, I chose RAL5004 with added pearl sparkle. Its effect under sunlight is absolutely perfect, shining and dazzling. However, the paint finish details are not particularly perfect, with slightly sloppy transitions, and the overall paint quality is passable, probably at a 7.5/10 level.

The frame is a semi-internal routing version, and I opted for the UDH hanger, which allows for maximum upgrade potential in the future without sacrificing support for standard derailleurs. The frame craftsmanship is flawless, with smooth inner walls. The only issue is that the cable guide cannot be fully inserted into the frame, which is related to my assembly sequence, and I can't solely blame Carbonda for the problem.

For the drivetrain, I chose the L-twoo GR9 hydraulic groupset. So far, it has been working well with precise shifting. I paired it with Shimano UR300 calipers and 180mm rotors for strong braking power. I also used the mineral brake fluid from EZmtb. They claim that this mineral brake fluid, labeled as #6, offers a lighter feel and can handle higher working temperatures compared to Shimano's original brake fluid. I will continue using this combination until any significant issues arise.

The complete configuration is listed in the last image, with all prices in Chinese Yuan and excluding shipping costs.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/EyXH5r7nxEqRB6zd7

It's beautiful! Good to know that the 2.0 Race Kings will fit. What is the internal width of your rims? I have Maxxis Ramblers in 700x50 mm on 24 mm rims (internal width) and there's a bit of clearance but I wouldn't go too much bigger.

FabioZang

« Reply #204 on: October 05, 2023, 01:12:07 AM »

It's beautiful! Good to know that the 2.0 Race Kings will fit. What is the internal width of your rims? I have Maxxis Ramblers in 700x50 mm on 24 mm rims (internal width) and there's a bit of clearance but I wouldn't go too much bigger.

My wheel rim has an internal width of 22mm. However, the tire tread rubs against the rear chainstay of the frame. To resolve this, I applied a layer of transparent TPU protective film to the frame. The front fork does not need to worry about the same problem
I also have 50c Rambler tires, but I haven't installed them on the CFR707 yet. When I previously mounted the Rambler tires on the same wheelset, their actual width measured 47mm, slightly narrower than the current Rac King's 49mm. Additionally, the tread was less pronounced and easier to manage. Therefore, I don't think you need to worry about the width issue.

Opadeira

« Reply #205 on: October 11, 2023, 02:12:49 PM »
My wheel rim has an internal width of 22mm. However, the tire tread rubs against the rear chainstay of the frame. To resolve this, I applied a layer of transparent TPU protective film to the frame. The front fork does not need to worry about the same problem
I also have 50c Rambler tires, but I haven't installed them on the CFR707 yet. When I previously mounted the Rambler tires on the same wheelset, their actual width measured 47mm, slightly narrower than the current Rac King's 49mm. Additionally, the tread was less pronounced and easier to manage. Therefore, I don't think you need to worry about the width issue.

can anyone else report on the tire clearance? I was planning to buy Continental Race Kings 2.0 but am hesistant now after reading this. Carbonda lists the tire clearance at 50mm, so theoretically they should fit.

TidyDinosaur

« Reply #206 on: October 11, 2023, 02:21:24 PM »
can anyone else report on the tire clearance? I was planning to buy Continental Race Kings 2.0 but am hesistant now after reading this. Carbonda lists the tire clearance at 50mm, so theoretically they should fit.

I had the Cross Kings 2.0 on my Carbonda 696 for a while. They have larger studs than the Race Kings and they did fit after removing those little rubber "hairs" on the tire. The 696 also has a stated clearance for 50mm.

jannmayer

« Reply #207 on: October 12, 2023, 12:36:11 AM »
I have 50mm Maxxis Ramblers on 24mm rims, and they measure right about 2" / 51 mm wide. There is about 5 or 6 mm clearance on the sides of the tires on the frame, and maybe a hair more on the fork. I wouldn't go any wider unless you know you will never see mud (2.1" is probably the absolute max with little extra clearance and perfectly true wheels.). I replaced the fender bold at the chainstay/BB junction with a flat head bolt to make it a little easier to get the wheel on and off.

Opadeira

« Reply #208 on: October 15, 2023, 02:25:41 PM »
I replaced the fender bold at the chainstay/BB junction with a flat head bolt to make it a little easier to get the wheel on and off.

I designed a screw for 3D printing that fits flush with the frame:
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:6266960

« Last Edit: October 15, 2023, 02:29:18 PM by Opadeira »

Dmtr

« Reply #209 on: October 20, 2023, 02:54:09 PM »
Hi,

I need some assistance with clarifying a few aspects regarding the compatibility of a bottom bracket and crank with my frame. I'm currently in the process of ordering parts for my 707 build and intend to use the SRAM Rival AXS XPLR groupset, but with a SRAM Force crank. The reason for this choice is the Quarq spider power meter that I plan to install. As a result, I'm ordering these components separately: the crank, chainring, and spider power meter.

The challenge I'm facing is deciding between two versions of cranks - DUB Road and DUB Road Wide. I've heard that DUB Wide was specifically designed to accommodate wider tires and address issues like the chain hitting the tire or the spindle contacting the chainstay. So, my question is whether I should opt for the DUB Road or DUB Road Wide version. I've seen some photos of DUB builds here, so perhaps someone can share their opinion on this matter.

Thanks in advance.