Author Topic: Carbonda Gravel Carbon frame CFR707  (Read 53781 times)

FabioZang

Re: Carbonda Gravel Carbon frame CFR707
« Reply #210 on: November 05, 2023, 01:33:28 AM »
The challenge I'm facing is deciding between two versions of cranks - DUB Road and DUB Road Wide. I've heard that DUB Wide was specifically designed to accommodate wider tires and address issues like the chain hitting the tire or the spindle contacting the chainstay. So, my question is whether I should opt for the DUB Road or DUB Road Wide version. I've seen some photos of DUB builds here, so perhaps someone can share their opinion on this matter.

Thanks in advance.
I think you should choose the Wide version.

Dinmamma123

« Reply #211 on: November 05, 2023, 07:01:33 PM »
I also have similar question. Does anyone use a shimano road groupset? Thinking of using a 105 DI2 groupset and not sure what the max tire width would be?

buckfifty

« Reply #212 on: November 07, 2023, 12:14:35 PM »
has anyone tried putting 650b's on their 707?

FabioZang

« Reply #213 on: November 16, 2023, 12:32:45 AM »
has anyone tried putting 650b's on their 707?
I saw on Instagram that the brand PALU has a bike with the same frame as the CFR707. They have many photos of bikes with 650b wheelsets, which you can use as a reference.

FabioZang

« Reply #214 on: November 16, 2023, 12:46:03 AM »
Bad news: When I tightened the rear axle on my CFR707 frame, it caused the paint on the contact surface to crack.
I believe this is one of the few drawbacks of the CFR707 frame (at least, it's the issue I've noticed now). Although I didn't use a torque wrench when tightening it, I still think it's a design that needs improvement.

It's puzzling why Carbonda didn't incorporate any design between the rear axle and frame to prevent direct contact with the paint. They could have implemented a countersink (similar to the front fork) or added some sort of paint isolation.

I have uploaded photos of the front and rear axle lock areas. By comparing them, you will understand what I mean.

FabioZang

« Reply #215 on: November 16, 2023, 12:58:50 AM »
I also have similar question. Does anyone use a shimano road groupset? Thinking of using a 105 DI2 groupset and not sure what the max tire width would be?
I know someone who has a CFR707 with a full set of r7170 groupset paired with 35c tires, and he haven't encountered any compatibility issues.

buckfifty

« Reply #216 on: December 08, 2023, 01:45:20 PM »
Looking at a small cfr707, wondering if the front mech braze on will have enough reach for a sram 43/30 crankset? thanks

cyril_31

« Reply #217 on: February 05, 2024, 11:58:15 AM »
Firstly I apologize in advance for my english as I'm not an english native speaker.
I just received my new frame CFR 707 and starting to build it.
I went with an internal cable routing and chose the Ritchey switch solution with Switch headset, switch spacers and switch stem.
I saw that others have already installed this headset and stem.
The thing is that when performing the installation, using the upper bearing from Ritchey (or even using the upper bearing from Carbonda) there is an important gap between the edge of the compression ring and the top of the steering tube.
I measured this gap and it is approximately of 1,4mm.
I would like to know if you faced this issue on your side, and if it is the case what corrrective action dd you use.
I'm affraid that with such a gap, there will be dust and water ingress inducing premature wear  and consequently more frequent maintenance to be performed.
Currently, I have two options in mind:
1- create a 3D printing specific washer with 1 mm thickness to be installed between the compression ring and the frame in order to reduce the gap
2- order for another stem which will be more compatible with this frame, maybe a Deda superbox. If such solution is taken, can I use the bearing and compression ring provided by Carbonda and use directly the deda top cover, or d I have to order the Deda compresion ring? If t is the case which one do I need to use 45°x45° or 45°x36°
I really thank you in advance for your help.
As I found this forum very useful, I will also try to share the differnt step of the buiding if it may help.

electrolux

« Reply #218 on: February 05, 2024, 01:29:34 PM »
Firstly I apologize in advance for my english as I'm not an english native speaker.
I just received my new frame CFR 707 and starting to build it.
I went with an internal cable routing and chose the Ritchey switch solution with Switch headset, switch spacers and switch stem.
I saw that others have already installed this headset and stem.
The thing is that when performing the installation, using the upper bearing from Ritchey (or even using the upper bearing from Carbonda) there is an important gap between the edge of the compression ring and the top of the steering tube.
I measured this gap and it is approximately of 1,4mm.
I would like to know if you faced this issue on your side, and if it is the case what corrrective action dd you use.
I'm affraid that with such a gap, there will be dust and water ingress inducing premature wear  and consequently more frequent maintenance to be performed.
Currently, I have two options in mind:
1- create a 3D printing specific washer with 1 mm thickness to be installed between the compression ring and the frame in order to reduce the gap
2- order for another stem which will be more compatible with this frame, maybe a Deda superbox. If such solution is taken, can I use the bearing and compression ring provided by Carbonda and use directly the deda top cover, or d I have to order the Deda compresion ring? If t is the case which one do I need to use 45°x45° or 45°x36°
I really thank you in advance for your help.
As I found this forum very useful, I will also try to share the differnt step of the buiding if it may help.
Is the gap still present when you install the compression plug? Cannot tell from the photos.

cyril_31

« Reply #219 on: February 05, 2024, 02:29:35 PM »
Is the gap still present when you install the compression plug? Cannot tell from the photos.
In the provided pictures, the fork is not installed, consequently the expander and the top cap are not installed, however I don't think that the compression will permit to reduce the gap as all the part are in contact: bearing in contact with the frame and compression ring in contact with the bearing. In any case, whatever the compression torque applied on the compression plug, this will not (or very slightly) impact the gap due to the original design the of ritchey compression ring.

Chiyou

« Reply #220 on: February 12, 2024, 01:12:27 PM »
Another option may be to use a headset bearing with a 7mm width (height). If I understand the Ritchey diagram correctly, they specify a 8mm width bearing, so going with a 7mm one, your gap hopefully will be reduced to ~0.4mm.

Here is an example of a 40x51.9x7 bearing with 45° / 45° chamfers: https://www.wychbearings.co.uk/ACB519H7.html

If you think a 52mm one (rather than a 51.85 +- 0.05 one as specified by Ritchey) will fit, many more models are available; use the parametric search (specify OD as 52 and ID as 40 in the search parameters): https://www.wychbearings.co.uk/headset_bearings.html

Andy1337

« Reply #221 on: February 17, 2024, 07:09:44 AM »
Good morning everyone.

I'm in the process of ordering the CFR707 but I'm still not sure what size to order.

I am 178 cm tall and my leg length is 84 cm.
Previously I rode a Spec Venge 54 and currently a Trek Speedconcept in size M.
CFR707 will be my first gravel bike and I don't know whether to choose size M or maybe L.

The next thing to consider is the choice of steering wheel. Is it included with the integrated steering wheel or the bridge and the steering wheel separately, because I do not see the possibility of mounting a counter / computer, e.g. Garmin, on the integrated one.

Thanks in advance for all hints and suggestions

Hi, what frame size did you end up choosing? I have the same height and the length of my legs is a little shorter by 1-2 cm. How is the fit?

2old2mould

« Reply #222 on: February 17, 2024, 12:11:37 PM »
I am 175cm and ride a M Giant TCR with a 100mm stem  and a M Carbonda 1056 also with a 100mm (but could go longer). I found the M 707 was the right size for me with a 90mm stem to keep the steering sharp. 

FullCarbonAlchemist

« Reply #223 on: February 22, 2024, 09:56:09 PM »
Does the 707 always come with external cable routing ports or do I have to specifically request that? Some of the frames in this thread don’t seem to have any.

jannmayer

« Reply #224 on: February 22, 2024, 10:13:04 PM »
You can specify the routing you want when you order. You can probably request a port on one side only if you want to commit to 1x.