Author Topic: Carbonda Gravel Carbon frame CFR707  (Read 53818 times)

acedeuce802

Re: Carbonda Gravel Carbon frame CFR707
« Reply #90 on: April 17, 2022, 11:23:18 PM »

jannmayer

« Reply #91 on: April 17, 2022, 11:27:53 PM »
Beautiful! I love that paint scheme, and it looks like a really fun bike. Can't wait to hear your experience on the trails.

zero

« Reply #92 on: April 23, 2022, 11:47:45 PM »
Did anyone who built up one of these feel the need to use foam tubing to reduce cables rattling within the frame?

acedeuce802

« Reply #93 on: April 24, 2022, 09:39:53 AM »
Did anyone who built up one of these feel the need to use foam tubing to reduce cables rattling within the frame?
I didn't use any foam and I haven't noticed any rattling, I'll try to pay attention on the ride today.  I think that I left the cables long enough (routed fully internal through handlebars) that they kind of stay pushed up against the frame.

jannmayer

« Reply #94 on: April 25, 2022, 12:14:23 PM »
I finally finished painting my frame and am starting the build. It came out a bit more purple than I hoped (so much for trying to pick colors online...) and the paint isn't quite as good as a professional job, but overall I'm pleased.

I used Montana Cans an Spray Max 2k primer and clear coat. It's a really fun project if you like sanding.  :D

00Garza

« Reply #95 on: April 28, 2022, 11:14:02 AM »

Slick looking build!!
And that fork and headtube are clean. Much better than the shady looking Lexon in that other thread.

acedeuce802

« Reply #96 on: May 12, 2022, 12:05:19 PM »
Just a 200 mile update.  So far I've done some mixed adventure rides, 30 mile gravel race, and a fast road ride with others on true road bikes.  I'm still very pleased with the 707! 

During the gravel race, I hit plenty of serious potholes, stuck with the lead pack for the first 8 miles so it was about 8 people wide and no way to avoid them.  I hit some hard enough to break my bottle cage on the seat tube and the down tube bottle fell out.  Frame, fork, seatpost, and bars are still solid.  Averaged 21mph, this bike is probably 2mph faster than my old Monstercross bike.  This isn't my video, just showing the course, it even went through an actual gravel pit! https://www.facebook.com/joe.miles.9484/videos/1424082484697432

Luckily fit is perfect.  I tend to ride smaller drop bikes (but larger MTB's).  I'm 5'10" with ~31" inseam and long arms, yet opted for a medium with 400/80mm bars.  It fits like a 54cm bike, exactly like I wanted.  I think my only two nitpicks have been the levers being mounted just above the sticky paste on the handlebars, so I had them slide down during the race.  Seems to be fixed with some carbon paste and higher torque.  Also, shifter cable friction may be an issue with the tight bends through the headset.  I first built with Shimano SP41 housing and cheap Amazon cable with no lubrication, sometimes the front derailleur would get hung up going down to the small ring, and the rear would sometimes need 2 shifts one direction, and one the other to make a single gear change.  I replaced both cables with Jagwire cables and used Tri-flow in the housings, the front seems perfect now, and I think the rear just needs dialing in cable tension, only have 1 ride since the change.  If I did it again, I would've just saved up for electronic if I wanted to stick with full internal.

carbonazza

« Reply #97 on: May 14, 2022, 10:22:17 AM »

You should do it every time.
One day or another a hose will rattle.

If you use foam tubes, be sure to take the right diameter or it will be painful to put on.
Another way is to tighten 4-5 short zip ties every 10cm by the BB holes when pushing the hose.
Mark the approximate start and end, while still outside the frame so you know where to place them.

2old2mould

« Reply #98 on: June 25, 2022, 06:12:10 AM »
Just received my 707 in RAL 1003. It will be a slow build but just so folks can see the frame. Signal Yellow with Pearl. Looks awesome.

RidePalatinate

« Reply #99 on: July 01, 2022, 04:03:17 AM »
Just received my 707 in RAL 1003. It will be a slow build but just so folks can see the frame. Signal Yellow with Pearl. Looks awesome.

Absolutely beautiful, thanks for sharing!
 Did you get Carbonda to apply the decals (meaning they are under the clear coat)?
How was communication and shipping?

Looking forward to some build details of that yellow rocket.  ;)

gravity

« Reply #100 on: July 04, 2022, 08:23:06 AM »
That is a nice colour!

jannmayer

« Reply #101 on: July 18, 2022, 03:13:40 PM »
I finally got my CFR707 to a rideable state!

I've only put a few miles on it because I'm still getting the brakes and shifting fine tuned, but I like what I've seen so far.

I'll post a full build list later, but here are the highlights:
  • Carbonda CFR707, XL, with Carbonda axles and hardware, external routing
  • Montana cans paint, SprayMax primer and clear coat
  • Carbonda seatpost
  • Whiskey N. 7 bars, 24 deg flare, 46 cm width
  • Redshift Shockstop Stem, 80 mm
  • Shimano GRX STX-600 brifters
  • Shimano GRX FC-RX600 crank, 46/30 tooth
  • Shimano GRX RX810 front and rear derailleurs
  • Viaron 11-46 tooth cassette (very light, but noisy, so I'll probably replace this)
  • Maxxis Rambler 700x50 tires (currently tubed, but will set up tubeless soon)
  • WTB ST i23 rims on no-name hubs
Total weight in this configuration is 10.5 kg / 23.1 lb. I have some Light Bicycle rims and Bitec hubs waiting to be built up, and that should drop it to about 8.6 kg / 19 lb, depending in what tires I get.

No complaints with the frame quality or how it built up. I'm sure the external routing simplified the build and will make adjustments a lot easier.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2022, 04:26:33 PM by jannmayer »

Manatsk

« Reply #102 on: July 31, 2022, 03:50:14 PM »
Hi, After almost 6 months I just finish the build of my CFR 707 ! In violet-bordeaux
Sorry bad english.. from France
Just post some picture of the finish bike After few days of ride.
Components full Carbonda (fork, integrated handlebar...)

Stjärtmes

« Reply #103 on: August 03, 2022, 09:05:24 AM »
Hello!

New user here, would like to thank the admin for this forum. A ton of helpful info on here.

I am currently building up a CFR707 with carbonda cockpit and have a couple of questions :)

(First pic) I am using the provided carbonda headset and i´m wondering if the installation order shown on the picture (red text) would be correct? Or is the spacer above the handlebar unnecessary and should i put the top cap directly on the handlebar?

(Second pic) I also received two metal thin spacers seen on the second picture but don´t know their intended usage, does anyone know?

(Thid pic) Which one of the two provided top caps did you guys use? They seem identical apart from the convex upper part on the one not mounted on the expander.

I have seen some videos on other integrated cockpits and those had alloy shims inside the "stem", where the stem would contact the forktube. I assume my handlebar not having one would be in line with what you all received?

Thanks a lot  in advance and let me know if i should weigh anything or if you guys wonder anything about my build.
Framesize XXL with Rival Etap AXS, will provide final build pictures in this thread :)   

FullCarbonAlchemist

« Reply #104 on: August 03, 2022, 11:19:43 AM »
The thin metal spacers are there to make up for imprecise tolerances in the headset, so that the top cap doesn’t rub on the frame. Typically you use just one, but by nature this will vary from bike to bike. The idea is to have a tiny, ~1mm gap between the top cap and frame but no wider than necessary.