Author Topic: Carbonda Gravel Carbon frame CFR707  (Read 55226 times)

carbonazza

Re: Carbonda Gravel Carbon frame CFR707
« Reply #120 on: September 29, 2022, 03:54:48 PM »
And here is the second, on a more budget version.
With: Sensah SRX Pro groupset. JuinTech F1 brakes. Scenicx crankset. Shimano 11-46 cassette and chain.
And nice Lightbicycle wheels.

This one, is probably the most painful build I ever experienced because of the 3 cables stem routing.
The JuinTech springs were not strong enough to pull back the cable due to the friction inside the stem/handlebar curves.

The Ritchey Comp Logic-E Cartridge Drop-In 1.5" came to liberate me from this.
However it doesn't sit flush with the frame, so water may enter too easily there, which is never good.
And the rubber provided to wrap the cable exits is designed for 2 cables, not the 3 I had.
This smells future maintenance issues.

Once the cabling nightmare was solved, the Sensah group and Juintech brakes were easy to setup.

wlcrs

« Reply #121 on: October 01, 2022, 12:04:58 PM »
I'm also considering buying a CFR707. A question about the handlebar: on the diagram, it looks like the drops are always 480mm apart, irrespective of the width of the handlebar (400, 420, 440mm). Do I read the diagram correct? Does a 420mm handlebar have a larger flare than a 440mm handlebar?

uilewuit

« Reply #122 on: October 04, 2022, 02:11:14 PM »
I am probably overthinking this but here is my quandary. I want "somewhat" clean look, in the sense that I do want internal cable routing but not all the way. I don't want to use integrated bar-stem that Carbonda sells with 707 but rather a separate stem and handlebar. From handlebar I wish to externally route cables into the stem, then into fork and frame to their respective destinations. In short the handlebar is external routing and rest is internal. Am I making myself clear or is it even possible? I sent this query to Wing and he sent me CAD diagrams of two different forks a)external routing where I can see there is a hole on the side of one of the arms of the fork. b) internal routing fork which has a hole in the middle of the fork stem.
Along with that he sent 3 different top cap pictures, one doesn't seem to have any holes in it while other two have holes. One of the holed topcap is "FSA standard" and other one is just 4 holes next to each other.
I haven't ordered yet but as a precaution added all three top caps ($5/ea anyway) to my quote along with fork with hole in the middle  :o What else do I need to add.. spacers with similar holes for cables in them? I see that Velobuild sells GF-002 frame with independent stem/bar and is still able to hide cables also a user report confirmed that who built GF-002. Checked with Wing and he said they don't sell any such stem that allows internal routing.

I also ordered the different top-caps, to keep the options open for the future.
For the time being, I use the top cap with the 4 holes and routed everything externally from there on out.
This still gives it quite a clean look, while maintaining some level of flexibility.
More happy than expected with this solution, as it is pretty budget and weight -friendly.

Anyway, check out the FSA NS SMR stem, this has the feature that you are describing.
Not 100% sure the interface with the top cap is the same is with the compatible ACR system, but it does look like it.

carbonazza

« Reply #123 on: October 04, 2022, 03:07:46 PM »
... I use the top cap with the 4 holes and routed everything externally from there on out...
By any chance. Do you have a picture when mounted?

Aussiemandias

« Reply #124 on: October 24, 2022, 12:02:43 PM »
That's a great paint scheme. How's it holding up? I assume you've covered quite a few miles by now.

acedeuce802

« Reply #125 on: October 24, 2022, 01:10:42 PM »
Not sure who you're responding to, but I'll chime in since I've got 630 miles on mine.  I've done a few gravel races (hitting potholes at 20+mph with everyone shoulder to shoulder and nowhere to avoid), a few singletrack trails (including a pretty root filled trail, and hit a 6" rock at speed that was covered by leaves), lots of gravel road exploring and some pothole filled road riding.  Frame and handlebar are still solid and quiet.  No complaints from me.

jannmayer

« Reply #126 on: October 24, 2022, 01:42:40 PM »
I have a bit over 100 miles on mine so far. The frame seems to be holding up OK. On my last ride, I took a wrong turn and ended up on a very rocky trail that would have been challenging on my mountain bike. I fell and bent the derailleur hanger and had to cut my ride short, but it shifts better than ever after replacing it. (Definitely order a few spares!)

I did put a few big chips in the paint on my fork though. Not sure if a Carbonda paint job would have held up any better than my paint job (Montana Cans / SprayMax 2k Clear), or even if a big-brand paint job would have survived. Seeing the paint damage hurt more than my scraped-up shin. At least I have the right paints to touch it up.

I've been riding mine with 700x50 Maxxis Ramblers, and it's a ton of fun on easy singletrack. A dropper would make it better on the technical bits, but I think I'd rather have the carbon seatpost for comfort. It still does an OK job of pretending to be a road bike when I get back to pavement.

Dave TN

« Reply #127 on: October 31, 2022, 07:20:01 AM »
I finished up the handlebar wrap, applied a frame protector, then took it out for its maiden voyage yesterday. I only had time to get in about 35 miles before other obligations drew me back home. So far, I feel like this is a VERY stable frame. I deviated from the trail a couple of times while looking around at the fall scenes and in one instance I ran through a patch of walnuts without incident. The CFR707 maintained its composure. I went with a longer stem (easier on the back and more clearance for my gut). Be sure and ask for additional spacers when you order your frame. They're pretty inexpensive through Carbonda and they work with the FSA headset. You can always trim your steer tube shorter, but it's hard to put more back on. Happy riding, folks!

helmat

« Reply #128 on: March 30, 2023, 02:20:04 PM »
took my newly build 707 out for its first real ride today, works like a charm, absolute pleasure to ride

MattL

« Reply #129 on: April 06, 2023, 02:58:09 PM »
took my newly build 707 out for its first real ride today, works like a charm, absolute pleasure to ride
Which size is it? I'm trying to figure out if I can mount an half frame bag on a size L frame with two bottles.

svanimpe

« Reply #130 on: April 09, 2023, 04:36:03 AM »
@helmat: Which stem are you using? Is that a Carbonda part?

s3si1u

« Reply #131 on: April 09, 2023, 10:58:20 AM »
@helmat: Which stem are you using? Is that a Carbonda part?
Looks like the Ritchey Switch ICR system.
Instagram: @aerosloth

helmat

« Reply #132 on: April 10, 2023, 06:41:11 AM »
Looks like the Ritchey Switch ICR system.
Correct
Which size is it? I'm trying to figure out if I can mount an half frame bag on a size L frame with two bottles.
Frame is a size L

Opadeira

« Reply #133 on: April 19, 2023, 07:34:13 AM »
Could any of the CFR707 owners check the frame clearance for a Stages Power Meter on their bike for me?

https://support.stagescycling.com/en/support/solutions/articles/1000137517-how-can-i-find-out-if-my-bicycle-is-compatible-with-a-stages-power-meter-

jannmayer

« Reply #134 on: April 19, 2023, 08:29:29 AM »
Could any of the CFR707 owners check the frame clearance for a Stages Power Meter on their bike for me?

Looks like you should be good. I didn't have a 10 mm hex wrench, but this pen measures 10 mm in diameter. There was plenty of room between the chainstay and my GRX crank for nearly the full length of the crank. Only the end by the pedal was tight.