Author Topic: Carbonda Gravel Carbon frame CFR707  (Read 55309 times)

Opadeira

Re: Carbonda Gravel Carbon frame CFR707
« Reply #180 on: September 13, 2023, 01:16:11 PM »
Does the 707 have proper eyelets for full lenght mudguards? I'm contemplating between a 696 or 707 frameset for a commuter that I will use in rain and snowy winter conditions.

There's one mount at the bottom bracket. A bolt on adaptor to provide two mounts on the seat stays and two mounting points at the dropouts, so yeah I'd say it's compatible with full length mudguards

coffeebreak

« Reply #181 on: September 13, 2023, 01:48:22 PM »
regarding shifter cable routing (external routing):
Can someone please clarify for me if the cable housing should be routed all the way through the frame or is the part inside the frame without a housing?

External routing - the cable housing for derailleur shifting only go up to the cable stopper on the down tube. From there you run just the cable inners all the way up to derailleurs. For rear derailleur you will need another small piece of housing at the end, for front you don't even need that, just take the inner cable all the way up to clamp on the FD.

E.g. Carbonda 696 external routing that I recently built.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2023, 01:55:28 PM by coffeebreak »

Opadeira

« Reply #182 on: September 13, 2023, 03:07:20 PM »
External routing - the cable housing for derailleur shifting only go up to the cable stopper on the down tube.

That's the thing, there are no cable stoppers on the down tube on the 707. Just inserts that let a cable housing pass through. It would be a clear "housing all the way" situation if not for the sliding plate for the inner cable i posted a picture of before.

coffeebreak

« Reply #183 on: September 13, 2023, 03:17:59 PM »
That's the thing, there are no cable stoppers on the down tube on the 707. Just inserts that let a cable housing pass through. It would be a clear "housing all the way" situation if not for the sliding plate for the inner cable i posted a picture of before.

That's strange. The stopper on 696 allow one cable (brake hose) to pass through completely and other one (shifter cable) blocks it. If you use one of these cable end caps, it still goes through the hole?

6speed

« Reply #184 on: September 13, 2023, 05:42:48 PM »
Frames always ship with plastic tubes sticking out the cable ports, but they are not use to route naked cables.  The are used to help fish cables and housing through the frame.  You shove a cable through the guide until it sticks out both sides.  Then you remove the disposable tubes and feed the permanent housing through the frame by engulfing the cable as it goes.

jannmayer

« Reply #185 on: September 13, 2023, 10:33:53 PM »
I ran full housing for the rear derailleur past the bottom bracket and out the chainstay. For the front derailleur, I ran the housing to the stopper in that little rectangular plastic piece under the bottom bracket and then just the inner to the derailleur. I  used a bit of the plastic guide that came with the frame to line the last little bit of the cable and hopefully keep dirt off.

Shifting has been good after getting it dialed in. The tension in the front derailleur cable holds that plastic part in, so I couldn't pull it out for the picture without having to loosen the cable at the derailleur.

I'm glad I opened it up for the picture. It looks like once of the inserts for the cover bolts is corroding so I will have to grease it really good.

2old2mould

« Reply #186 on: September 14, 2023, 01:07:38 AM »
A few points to make. I own an a 707 external frameset.

1. I ran full cable housing through my 707 frame to the rear mech. I did originally try just the cable but the shifting performance was poor.

2. I think the supplied bearings from Carbonda are an 8mm thick and a 7mm thick bearing. If memory serves I replaced the 7mm with another 8mm so I could get enough compression at the front to stop the knocking of the fork however even then I had to tighten the stem top cap bolt beyond what I would ordinarily on other bikes I own. This is also true of my CFR1056 frameset also from Carbonda.

So far no issues with either shifting or headset.

Hope that helps some of you.

Opadeira

« Reply #187 on: September 14, 2023, 01:52:18 AM »
I ran full housing for the rear derailleur past the bottom bracket and out the chainstay. For the front derailleur, I ran the housing to the stopper in that little rectangular plastic piece under the bottom bracket and then just the inner to the derailleur. I  used a bit of the plastic guide that came with the frame to line the last little bit of the cable and hopefully keep dirt off.

Shifting has been good after getting it dialed in. The tension in the front derailleur cable holds that plastic part in, so I couldn't pull it out for the picture without having to loosen the cable at the derailleur.

I'm glad I opened it up for the picture. It looks like once of the inserts for the cover bolts is corroding so I will have to grease it really good.

thank you!
My misunderstanding was that the cable goes into the plastic without an endcap. I was looking for a port that fits a housing endcap.

Dmtr

« Reply #188 on: September 24, 2023, 01:57:27 PM »
Hi everyone!
I'm considering to buy 707 for my dream build and wondering whether some of you guys asked Carbonda for a small modifications on the frame? For example I'd like to lower bottle cage mount points on the seat tube (and down tube maybe?), so I don't need to use any cage adapters etc. I understand that it may interfere with front derailleur, but I'm going to go with 1x wireless AXS, so don't really care about it.

PS. I have a On-One Free Ranger, which is in fact Carbonda CFR696 and I really like it. One of the reasons why I like 707 is that it has full internal cable routing, and going wireless with it seem a good idea to me  :)

jannmayer

« Reply #189 on: September 24, 2023, 06:29:27 PM »
Hi everyone!
I'm considering to buy 707 for my dream build and wondering whether some of you guys asked Carbonda for a small modifications on the frame? For example I'd like to lower bottle cage mount points on the seat tube (and down tube maybe?), so I don't need to use any cage adapters etc. I understand that it may interfere with front derailleur, but I'm going to go with 1x wireless AXS, so don't really care about it.

PS. I have a On-One Free Ranger, which is in fact Carbonda CFR696 and I really like it. One of the reasons why I like 707 is that it has full internal cable routing, and going wireless with it seem a good idea to me  :)
I didn't ask for any modifications to my frame. What is your concern with the mounting locations? I can fit two full size bottles easily with the standard mount locations, although I do have an XL frame.

Pedaldancer

« Reply #190 on: September 24, 2023, 06:40:39 PM »
I didn't ask for any modifications to my frame. What is your concern with the mounting locations? I can fit two full size bottles easily with the standard mount locations, although I do have an XL frame.

If you have a small frame you are getting troubles with a frame bag and 2 water bottles.
I would not lower these positions, because they are made in that height to reach the bottles very nicely. And if they should be lower for a bike packing trip, a shifting adapter can be used. This is what I do and I know that the bottles are to far away for nicely grabbing them while riding. For an everyday use this would be uncomfortable.

Dmtr

« Reply #191 on: September 25, 2023, 04:25:53 AM »
As mentioned by @Pedaldancer, if you are planning to use a frame bag with two bottles, it might not fit. I have a Carbonda 696 (size 54), which has a little more space in the frame, but I still needed to use a bottle cage adapter to accommodate the Apidura Racing Frame bag. In the photo, I'm using a 950ml bottle with the adapter lowered as much as possible, but without the adapter, it wouldn't even fit a standard bottle. I'm considering the 707 in size L, which has a seat tube 3cm shorter, leaving even less space. Of course, it's not critical, but I'm just wondering why they place those mounting points in those locations in the first place. Many other manufacturers have already addressed this issue for gravel bikes by placing mounts as low as possible. As for reaching the bottles from the lowest position during rides, I've never had any issues with it—perhaps I have very long arms.

kbernstein

« Reply #192 on: September 25, 2023, 05:34:54 AM »
696 owners, is it just me or is the toe overlap awful?
I think I'm well within the margin, size 54 frame, 44 shoes, 170mm cranks, 45mm tires on a 700c rim... Yet the toe overlap makes it practically unusable. I gave up on my beloved midcleat position but it's still not enough. Does nobody else have that problem?? I'm considering selling it for a new bike just because of this reason

Dmtr

« Reply #193 on: September 25, 2023, 06:22:26 AM »
696 owners, is it just me or is the toe overlap awful?
I think I'm well within the margin, size 54 frame, 44 shoes, 170mm cranks, 45mm tires on a 700c rim... Yet the toe overlap makes it practically unusable. I gave up on my beloved midcleat position but it's still not enough. Does nobody else have that problem?? I'm considering selling it for a new bike just because of this reason

Yes, can confirm that issue. I'm ~180cm (5′ 11″) and have 43 shoes, 172.5 cranks and 47mm tires. Frame size is 54. The toe overlap is bad, but I got used to it. I've been riding 696 for 3 years now, and apart from that problem I'm quite happy with the bike.

Dmtr

« Reply #194 on: September 26, 2023, 04:23:22 PM »
Whom should I contact in Carbonda about purchasing the frame? Is it info@carbonda.com, or is it better to contact someone in particular?