Author Topic: Stumpjumper clone  (Read 47228 times)

Goodzilla

Re: Stumpjumper clone
« Reply #120 on: June 16, 2021, 02:32:06 AM »
Hey guys
i‘ve one Frame ordernd too, it Took a while to be shiped (ordernd end of April via Ali) now it’s on it’s way.
Has anyone tried to cut off the swatbox?

Guyzer73

« Reply #121 on: June 21, 2021, 12:23:22 AM »

So the day of reckoning has come...

All the parts are here, except the wheels which should be ready to collect tomorrow.

Unfortunately, here in Oman nobody wanted to touch the frame to paint it and I'm not prepared to give it a go and screw it up. So, I'm going to build it as it is and then look to getting it painted once I've moved to Germany.

Here a couple of pics of the parts to hand. Will post the others once the wheels have arrived. For those interested in weight, I'll weigh all parts separately and then the whole bike once completed to give an approx measure for the the weight of incidentals like grease, tubeless liquid, tape etc.

I'll build the bike over the next week I guess as pretty busy at work and planning the move to Germany with the family. Will also be challenged as  I don't have a workshop stand so could be an interesting build....

Enjoy

Guy

emu26

« Reply #122 on: June 21, 2021, 12:58:15 AM »
Good luck with the build. Don't get too caught up on not having a stand.  Internal cables first, then seat post and saddle, forks stem and bars. Flip the bike and build the rest of it upside down.

Guyzer73

« Reply #123 on: June 21, 2021, 02:34:57 AM »
Good luck with the build. Don't get too caught up on not having a stand.  Internal cables first, then seat post and saddle, forks stem and bars. Flip the bike and build the rest of it upside down.

It's the internal cables that will be interesting... but looking forward to it. First new bike in 20 years.... Going to be a totally different ride.

Goodzilla

« Reply #124 on: June 22, 2021, 04:29:17 AM »
Charts, Today my Frame came.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2021, 12:48:40 PM by Goodzilla »

Guyzer73

« Reply #125 on: June 23, 2021, 01:52:16 AM »
Hi All,

Quick question, what size rotor does the frame use on the rear? Is it 160mm or 180mm?

Thanks in advance.

Guy

Goodzilla

« Reply #126 on: June 23, 2021, 05:38:14 PM »
I was told it’s 160mm, i‘ll install 180mm

Here my Part List i‘ll Go with

Fork Fox 36grip2 (2019 160mm)
Damper Fox Float x2 (2021 210/50)
Brake magura mt5 (203/180)
Seatpost specialized
Wheels dtswiss M 1700 spline
Sram nx groupset

Rest i‘ll search in my lost and found Boxes

Now i‘m waiting for some Parts and Protection foil. First thing i did was disasambling everthing. The bearings Are Not Made for dirt, these came with a Metal Seal. No Bolt was greased and set with loctite.
The Paintjob Looks Good only Part where it’s Not Good is like the other Said at the bearing an screw points. The headset cap won‘t work there is also a Spacer missing. That‘s it for now Hope the Post man will bring the rest till weekend Starts.

swuw231

« Reply #127 on: June 23, 2021, 07:13:21 PM »
Hi All,

Quick question, what size rotor does the frame use on the rear? Is it 160mm or 180mm?

Thanks in advance.

Guy

Rear disc is 180mm post-mount, you cannot go smaller than that.

Cheers!

swuw231

« Reply #128 on: June 23, 2021, 07:52:40 PM »
Hey guys
i‘ve one Frame ordernd too, it Took a while to be shiped (ordernd end of April via Ali) now it’s on it’s way.
Has anyone tried to cut off the swatbox?

Not possible, carbon layout in that area is not thick enough, it will compromise the frame structural integrity.

PD: For those wondering, I got a front triangle replacement due to a faulty bolt shock tab; so I decided to experiment with the old triangle :)

Guyzer73

« Reply #129 on: June 23, 2021, 11:58:13 PM »
Not possible, carbon layout in that area is not thick enough, it will compromise the frame structural integrity.

PD: For those wondering, I got a front triangle replacement due to a faulty bolt shock tab; so I decided to experiment with the old triangle :)

Swuw231,

Thanks for that. This confirms exactly what I feared. They save on the carbon fibre as they weren't providing the cut-out.

On another matter. Did you have issues using the Specialized rear shock hardware? I note you said it was a tight fit, but I actually have 2 issues.

1. The front bolt is too long. No biggie as I'll just use the one supplied by AWST.
2. The flip chip doesn't fit into the eyelet of the shock. I've removed the bushing from the X-Fusion O2 Pro but the flip chip is too big. Am I rignt in gussing it was designed for a larger diameter bushing?

I'll get around this by using a cut back spare bushing I have and the stock bolt, but, just wondering how to resolve this problem. I'm guessing the only way is to get a rear shock with larger bushing size?

Cheers

Guy

Guyzer73

« Reply #130 on: June 24, 2021, 12:03:08 AM »
I was told it’s 160mm, i‘ll install 180mm

Here my Part List i‘ll Go with

Fork Fox 36grip2 (2019 160mm)
Damper Fox Float x2 (2021 210/50)
Brake magura mt5 (203/180)
Seatpost specialized
Wheels dtswiss M 1700 spline
Sram nx groupset

Rest i‘ll search in my lost and found Boxes

Now i‘m waiting for some Parts and Protection foil. First thing i did was disasambling everthing. The bearings Are Not Made for dirt, these came with a Metal Seal. No Bolt was greased and set with loctite.
The Paintjob Looks Good only Part where it’s Not Good is like the other Said at the bearing an screw points. The headset cap won‘t work there is also a Spacer missing. That‘s it for now Hope the Post man will bring the rest till weekend Starts.

Great thanks Goodzilla, I also got confirmation after a few days that it's a 160mm on the rear. Which is fine for me.

Nice set-up by the way. I'll be doing the same and stripping it back before building it up.

Good luck with the postman... I've finally got all my parts and it's turning into a frankenbike to some extent due to parts availability and my stupidity in ordering parts  ;D

Cheers

Guy

Goodzilla

« Reply #131 on: June 24, 2021, 08:56:46 AM »
Yeah postman came in today with all three missing orders there wäre original specialized Parts and some Frame Cover and another Headset but what i See is that the hole for the bearing is set to Deep so no Upper bearing would fit with ist top cap so i‘m thinking about using 2k repair to remold the upper seat of the bearing.

Goodzilla

« Reply #132 on: June 24, 2021, 09:11:48 AM »

That’s some bad news but i‘can accept it

swuw231

« Reply #133 on: June 24, 2021, 08:19:18 PM »
Swuw231,

Thanks for that. This confirms exactly what I feared. They save on the carbon fibre as they weren't providing the cut-out.

On another matter. Did you have issues using the Specialized rear shock hardware? I note you said it was a tight fit, but I actually have 2 issues.

1. The front bolt is too long. No biggie as I'll just use the one supplied by AWST.
2. The flip chip doesn't fit into the eyelet of the shock. I've removed the bushing from the X-Fusion O2 Pro but the flip chip is too big. Am I rignt in gussing it was designed for a larger diameter bushing?

I'll get around this by using a cut back spare bushing I have and the stock bolt, but, just wondering how to resolve this problem. I'm guessing the only way is to get a rear shock with larger bushing size?

Cheers

Guy

Yes, front bolt is longer (~5mm) I ended cutting it down to size; for the rear I saw no issues with the flip chip, I got it mounted into a Fox shock (I don't think eyelet diameters are different), it goes without any shock mounting hardware nor bushing.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2021, 08:34:09 PM by swuw231 »

Goodzilla

« Reply #134 on: June 25, 2021, 02:28:09 AM »
I‘m very buisy with work these days but a little upgrade I made and installed the downtube protector fits perfect. I Drilles in 2 holes and screwed it on the frame.