Author Topic: Stumpjumper clone  (Read 47258 times)

naeTech

Re: Stumpjumper clone
« Reply #165 on: November 30, 2021, 09:16:19 PM »
There is sj manual...

Castolian

« Reply #166 on: December 01, 2021, 07:55:33 AM »
There is sj manual...

Thank you, I did go and check on the SJ manual. Just wasn't sure if I could use this same specs for the chinese carbon frame. Airwolf is also absolutely useless in this regard, when I question them on it they say everything should be torqued 5-7nm :o

naeTech

« Reply #167 on: December 01, 2021, 09:43:21 AM »
20Nm for m12x1 tread - it is no so high value. You may set 5Nm and use threadlocker for save "soft aluminum".

For example sketch of bottom link...
« Last Edit: December 01, 2021, 10:35:45 AM by naeTech »

xlam

« Reply #168 on: December 01, 2021, 01:25:47 PM »
The manual contains large values ​​of the moment, I doubt that the Chinese materials will withstand them.

Replaced the lower shock absorber bushing by 15mm, because of the grooves in the link (for the flip chip), the 14mm bushing did not provide good retention. I changed the shock absorber to a simplified "deluxe" so that a thermos could be placed in the bottle holder, for driving in winter :)

Icyseanfitz

« Reply #169 on: December 01, 2021, 04:11:51 PM »
So overall how are ye finding this frame? What where the major issues?

Castolian

« Reply #170 on: December 02, 2021, 01:41:18 AM »
So overall how are ye finding this frame? What where the major issues?

My first ride with it will be this weekend, will report back then.

For me the build went quite easily. I went with the bushings as suggested in page 11 of the forum for the rearshock, I have the flip chip but opted for the fixed bushing rather. It did seem like the spacing for the flip chip was to narrow on my frame so I would have needed to file of the edges of the flip chip in order for it to fit in, the holes currently doesn't line up properly.

As stated in the previous messages the front bolt of the rear shock that comes with the frame is extremely low quality, the head of my bolt broke of while I was just setting the sag. Routing of the cables went quite easily using the cheap routing kit from AliExpress. It can probably go easier if you remove the rear triangle, I kept it on while routing the cables so that was the hardest corner to make.

I did receive everything that was indicated by Airwolf. Seatpost clamp is very large as other members have stated, I will be replacing this in the future, stock in south africa is just very scarce, would most like need to import it as well.

Icyseanfitz

« Reply #171 on: December 02, 2021, 07:09:33 AM »
So did you swap out all the shock bolts? Custom job or got specialized ones? Is the linkage/hardware etc 1 to 1 with a real stumpjumper

xlam

« Reply #172 on: December 02, 2021, 09:20:02 AM »
For the shock absorber, I ordered the original bolts and flip chip ( https://webshop.bestbike.de/us/specialized-sub-my19-sj-levo-fsr-j1-rear-shock-har.html ). The top bolt had to be shortened by 2-3mm, the flip-chip did not fit. The Chinese top bolt is bad in that it is for a large key, because of this it is not strong at the base of the cap, breaks off when screwed.

naeTech

« Reply #173 on: December 02, 2021, 11:45:10 PM »
For the shock absorber, I ordered the original bolts and flip chip ( https://webshop.bestbike.de/us/specialized-sub-my19-sj-levo-fsr-j1-rear-shock-har.html ). The top bolt had to be shortened by 2-3mm, the flip-chip did not fit. The Chinese top bolt is bad in that it is for a large key, because of this it is not strong at the base of the cap, breaks off when screwed.
Chinese top bolt is not bad - is wrong type! They have champfer 90 degree, but frame for bolt with champfer at 120 degree (such as in rear axle link)! 90 degree bolt cannot fix shock strong - need to replace by original bolt or custom 120 degree bolt.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2021, 09:28:15 AM by naeTech »

xlam

« Reply #174 on: December 03, 2021, 11:23:35 AM »
I didn't look so closely ...

Castolian

« Reply #175 on: December 18, 2021, 09:05:09 AM »
So I took mine out for the second ride, and the Main pivot bolts came completely lose, upon further inspection the threading on the bolts that is suppose to catch is completely gone. Can any recommend where I can buy new bolts? As I cannot use the Specialized kit as I need right thread for the main pivot bolt and the Specialized kit comes with left thread.

naeTech

« Reply #176 on: December 20, 2021, 08:55:53 PM »
So I took mine out for the second ride, and the Main pivot bolts came completely lose, upon further inspection the threading on the bolts that is suppose to catch is completely gone. Can any recommend where I can buy new bolts? As I cannot use the Specialized kit as I need right thread for the main pivot bolt and the Specialized kit comes with left thread.
1) You can use a latheman neighbor to make all new bolts.
2) You can buy original kit and use a latheman neighbor to make only right main pivot bolt.
3) ...more expensive methods...
« Last Edit: December 21, 2021, 08:48:40 AM by naeTech »

Castolian

« Reply #177 on: December 21, 2021, 03:25:10 PM »
1) You can use a latheman neighbor to make all new bolts.
2) You can buy original kit and use a latheman neighbor to make only right main pivot bolt.
3) ...more expensive methods...

Thank you very much for those drawings of the Main pivot bolt, I will try and get a hold of someone with a lathe that can cut me the bolt. I will be purchasing the full kit to replace the other bolts as well.

naeTech

« Reply #178 on: December 21, 2021, 08:45:00 PM »
Thank you very much for those drawings of the Main pivot bolt, I will try and get a hold of someone with a lathe that can cut me the bolt. I will be purchasing the full kit to replace the other bolts as well.
If so, then firstly buy full kit, then search someone with lathe and take him bolt with left thread, request such but right tread. Then you can use rubber seal from original bolt!

Castolian

« Reply #179 on: December 21, 2021, 11:58:45 PM »
If so, then firstly buy full kit, then search someone with lathe and take him bolt with left thread, request such but right tread. Then you can use rubber seal from original bolt!

Thank you, for the advice, I like the frame the should really just improve the bolt quality they use. I even sent this thread to Airwolf to see if they will get representation on the thread but it seems they are not interested in solving the problems that is experienced.