Author Topic: Chinese aero style gravel bar?  (Read 1441 times)

RDY

Chinese aero style gravel bar?
« on: September 17, 2020, 07:34:35 PM »
Dream is an Aeroghaiai .... but they're €350 and unobtainium currently.

The only Chinese aero gravel bar that I've seen is one with an integrated stem.  The new LightCarbon HBR08, which just came on the market. Minimum is 90mm stem and I've also just bought an 80mm stem. Reach and drop of the bar are relatively high by modern standards (82 /125).  Still, better than anything else I'm aware of.

Loads of other 3T style bars on the market, but nothing like the Aeroghaiai or even the Superghaiai.

Why aero on gravel? Because deep, flat parts at 3 and 6 o'clock are way more comfortable if you have big hands.  After fitting the aero bullhorns on my track / city bike, I now hate skinny circular drop bars .... they feel uncomfortable and strange   :'(

P.S. I gave up on the aerowave style bars due to being unsure about quality, and also some flare may be wise if I'm to travel with the bike - potentially to somewhere more gnarly and rolling than the Amsterdam area  :D
« Last Edit: September 17, 2020, 07:36:54 PM by RDY »

zilcho

Re: Chinese aero style gravel bar?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2020, 10:26:15 PM »
Carbonda has a flared/aero gravel bar.

http://www.carbonda.com/accessory/handlebar/123.html

I swapped to this to try something new after riding the FSA Adventure bars for a while.  I prefer the flare on the Carbonda, to me it feels like the entire drop rotates horizontally from just under the shifter contact, compared to most I've used that feel like the tip of the drop rotates out while leaving the contact point still under the hoods...if that makes sense.  They have internal routing for standard cabling as well as an opening at the back of the stem if you need full internal.  Routing wasn't terrible if you have a pick to pull the housing out.  The flat tops are wider than the FSAs (semi flattened aluminum) but not full on road aero.

RDY

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2020, 05:31:47 AM »
Thanks.

I keep forgetting about Carbonda for everything except frames .... because I have to enable a VPN to access their website. Their site is flagged as malicious by my ISP, and is inaccessible otherwise .... interestingly some DNS servers also block it. I emailed Carbonda about this ages ago but never received a reply.

carbonazza

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2020, 07:38:45 AM »
The issue is on your ISP, that unduly flag them.
They probably can't do anything on their side, barely understand what your problem was.
Use Tor Browser instead ;)

A pity, the bar looks great, thanks zilcho for the info.

RDY

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2020, 07:43:05 AM »
I wouldn't say it was incorrectly flagged .... ages ago I seem to remember their site got hijacked and was trying to inject malicious software or scripts. I believe they won't be automatically deflagged until the bots that scrape for ISPs and DNS providers detect that they have moved to https.... which they still have not. Their fault.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2020, 08:44:50 AM by RDY »

RDY

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2020, 05:08:11 AM »
Received the Carbonda bar.

Seems very nice on cursory inspection. 

Thanks for the tip @zilcho

RDY

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2020, 01:47:47 PM »
Bar mounted on the bike. Fitting stuff loosely before I wheel it to the mechanic next week, to do stuff I lack the skills for (gears & brakes etc).

Looks sweet IMO.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2020, 01:50:46 PM by RDY »