Author Topic: Suggestions to bring a build under $2k - ICAN P9 Frame  (Read 3385 times)

BoomerE36

Suggestions to bring a build under $2k - ICAN P9 Frame
« on: September 22, 2020, 06:20:07 PM »
I recently ordered a Polygon Sikiu T7 (link: https://bit.ly/32RTOSf ), however, as I searched for alternatives, I stumbled upon the Chinertown forum where I learned that I can order a quality frame from China and save some $$ building a much better bike myself.

The idea is to start with an ICAN P9 frame, however, I am not sure what set of components I can realistically procure to get the build under the $2k mark as I am quite new to the MTB space.

Any advice highly appreciated on which components I should be looking into as well as whether or not this is a worthy endeavor for a first timer with some mechanical skills.

« Last Edit: September 22, 2020, 06:31:48 PM by BoomerE36 »

zilcho

Re: Suggestions to bring a build under $2k - ICAN P9 Frame
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2020, 07:22:45 PM »
$2k for a full suspension build with a frame that costs $870 is not going to be possible without having a long list of items you already own or serious sacrifices on the rest of the components.

jham

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2020, 05:11:37 PM »
So i agree that you started a little high with the frame but what a lot of guys on this forum are unwilling to try that i have tried and know people to have tried is buy all parts from aliexpress.  Most people on this forum stop on the frame.... they think that that is the only corner worth cutting because of the stigma of fox and rock shox.  I do think that such a build is still possible but you will have to do a ton of research.  There is a company on aliexpress that sells shocks called Himalo and having worked in a bike shop for many years and taken apart many shocks in my day cannot tell you a single difference between Himalo and other name brand shocks.  It wouldnt surprise me if they are the same thing.  I have ran them for a little over six months and they are incredible. for 180 USD  you can buy himalo shocks at 100 to 200 mil travel and they are incredible. that would save you a ton of money.

emu26

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2020, 05:31:47 PM »
So i agree that you started a little high with the frame but what a lot of guys on this forum are unwilling to try that i have tried and know people to have tried is buy all parts from aliexpress.  Most people on this forum stop on the frame.... they think that that is the only corner worth cutting because of the stigma of fox and rock shox.  I do think that such a build is still possible but you will have to do a ton of research.  There is a company on aliexpress that sells shocks called Himalo and having worked in a bike shop for many years and taken apart many shocks in my day cannot tell you a single difference between Himalo and other name brand shocks.  It wouldnt surprise me if they are the same thing.  I have ran them for a little over six months and they are incredible. for 180 USD  you can buy himalo shocks at 100 to 200 mil travel and they are incredible. that would save you a ton of money.

They could help themselves by improving their names, "himalo", just how low, "Uding". your face when this fork fails? Superficial I know but just being honest.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2020, 05:38:54 PM by emu26 »

xz01

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2020, 09:35:55 PM »

i'm really curious - what's the dampening setup on a himalo fork like? what range of fox/rockshox forks are they comparable to?

GordanRF

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2020, 09:43:22 PM »
i'm really curious - what's the dampening setup on a himalo fork like? what range of fox/rockshox forks are they comparable to?

Edit: I guess youtube links are banned? A guy named GravityCheckMTB did a in depth review on one.

emu26

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2020, 12:27:36 AM »
Not sure how valuable a review comparing a 160mm budget fork to a 120mm budget fork, on the same bike, really is.  Seemed all very subjective.

chetosmachine

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2020, 02:53:14 PM »
I paid 280eur for my suntour triair shock, I feel it is not outrageous and has been proven in enduro races worldwide.
I did not find a 210x55 air shock in aliexpress though.
The himalo fork, it's ok if you want to neglect 10years of suspension developmment, given that it has 32mm stanchions and qr dropouts. Is it bad per se? No, not saying that! But there are tons of other options to go with the P9, that will help the rider fully enjoy the capabilities, without breaking the bank.
I find 11spd shimano SLX  a bargain, and shimano 4piston cheapest brakes have tons of power.

emu26

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2020, 04:24:21 PM »

The himalo fork, it's ok if you want to neglect 10years of suspension developmment, given that it has 32mm stanchions and qr dropouts. Is it bad per se? No, not saying that!

My thoughts exactly, 34 or 36 and 15mm TA and I would take a shot but not 32's with QR.

jham

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2020, 09:04:47 PM »
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000490045714.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.6751716dsih6mE&algo_pvid=98448508-6e14-45e4-8242-f7320283fa35&algo_expid=98448508-6e14-45e4-8242-f7320283fa35-1&btsid=0bb0623216028134387813606eb9d1&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_

if you are worried about stanchion width just toss these puppies on.  I am not ignoring 10 years of innovation.  Fox isn't made in the USA anymore.  It hasn't been the case for awhile now.  These forks are made in Taiwan and I wouldn't doubt if they were made by the same company.  I have a friend who owns a motorcycle business in Utah and all his stuff is made in the same province as fox so it seems there is a large block where all this stuff is made.  Ps I weigh 260lbs and the 32 mm stanchions haven't been a problem.

emu26

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2020, 09:53:53 PM »
horses for course and a dual crown at well over 3kg, 170mm travel, straight 1 1/8 steerer and 20mm thru axle, that horse doesn't have a course in this house.

GordanRF

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2020, 10:59:46 PM »
horses for course and a dual crown at well over 3kg, 170mm travel, straight 1 1/8 steerer and 20mm thru axle, that horse doesn't have a course in this house.
Can you explain what you mean by this? I don't understand.

Jotegr

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2020, 11:13:38 PM »

He means that looks crap.

chetosmachine

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2020, 11:53:57 PM »
Well, i wouldn't consider a double crown fork neither, and even less weighting 3.2kg on a 150mm travel bike. Again, not saying they are bad. You still have more options according to where you live that dont break the bank. Though, if you have the legs, be welcome to try that dc fork.
I am also a heavy rider, I was riding a 32mm reba qr just before the ican, and I just prefer the stiffer fork that newer design offer.

emu26

« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2020, 12:02:12 AM »
He means that looks crap.

Haha. I think all dual crown forks looks crap but that is just personal opinion.

Gordan, I am also building up an FM10 and, to me at least, that fork has no place on an FM10 or any other bike I own.  That is trying to be a full on downhill fork, it may even have succeeded, I don't know. That fork is heavy, has too much travel for an FM10 and is more than likely over engineered for the type of riding someone owning an FM10 is likely to be doing.

The term horses for courses refers to using the right equipment for the right job. You wouldn't put a draft horse into a sprint race and nor would you try to haul a beer lorry with a young sprint horse.

I have picked up a second hand Rhythm 150mm 27.5 fork to use on my build.  I am confident it will fit the +tyres but I do think my axle to crown height will be lower than optimal. IE, I will have steepened both seat and head angle and dropped the BB height marginally.  If it doesn't work then I will possibly get a crown race spacer thanks to Guitsboys suggestion, until I can find a 29er in my price range.  You could look at picking up a second hand fork or something along the lines of a new RS Yaris that are getting good reviews as a budget fork.

Hope all that makes sense, feel free to ask if not.

As I said, if Himalo made a 150mm travel 29er or a 160mm travel 27.5 that had thicker than 32mm uppers, was boost spaced and had a 15mm thru axle then I would have tried one, but they don't and the fork linked above isn't a substitute for one.