Author Topic: ICAN triaero A9  (Read 32412 times)

cirano

Re: ICAN triaero A9
« Reply #150 on: September 28, 2022, 12:27:41 AM »
Hi,
I read (about) all this topic with great interest, but page 7 does not open !?

Ved

« Reply #151 on: September 28, 2022, 12:52:11 AM »
Is speeder considered a high quality operation? Genuine question as I’m considering pulling the trigger on a 49d frame to go with my winspace hypers and ultegra di2 build.

I don't think people should expect Yoeleo to be in the same bracket as Speeder or Seka ... they're cheapo frames with pretty paint.

Eboht

« Reply #152 on: September 30, 2022, 08:26:13 AM »
I soon hope to be adding to this thread as I pulled the trigger on a 58cm A9 frame. I have a particular high inseam (93cm) and needed a frame with a longish seat tube, ruling out the Velobuild options - but also wanted something a bit higher quality.

I was after a white frame with black components built and coincidentally they had one in my size finished and ready to go - below is an image from Ican which used their specific graphics, kinda like it.

Regarding tire size, they do indeed claim 28c as the max, even when prompted. However, they mentioned as well the clearance is bigger than the A22 frame and a fellow Chinertown member mentioned 32mm is not an issue on the A22 frame. I'll find out soon enough.

I also scored a set of wheels from Peter, advertised here in the forum, 44mm deep, 28mm outer width. Now onto groupsets, for which I think I will go the mechanical route, possibly R8000, anything hydraulic or electronic seems out of proportion in price/value.

Edit: Ultegra 8020 it is  :) couldn't help myself (Merlin Cycles)
« Last Edit: September 30, 2022, 01:41:53 PM by Eboht »

noseparade

« Reply #153 on: October 10, 2022, 12:00:26 AM »
Hi, did you get your money back? What ultimately happened? I think it's a good case study of the serious, or lack thereof, of ICAN.

Hey sorry I hadn't been on this forum for a while. ICAN refunded me the full price of the frameset and shipping. They asked for the frame back and paid for shipping there. They did not wait until the frame had arrived, before refunding me

mwh0169

« Reply #154 on: October 12, 2022, 09:19:32 AM »
I soon hope to be adding to this thread as I pulled the trigger on a 58cm A9 frame. I have a particular high inseam (93cm) and needed a frame with a longish seat tube, ruling out the Velobuild options - but also wanted something a bit higher quality.

I was after a white frame with black components built and coincidentally they had one in my size finished and ready to go - below is an image from Ican which used their specific graphics, kinda like it.

Regarding tire size, they do indeed claim 28c as the max, even when prompted. However, they mentioned as well the clearance is bigger than the A22 frame and a fellow Chinertown member mentioned 32mm is not an issue on the A22 frame. I'll find out soon enough.

I also scored a set of wheels from Peter, advertised here in the forum, 44mm deep, 28mm outer width. Now onto groupsets, for which I think I will go the mechanical route, possibly R8000,
anything hydraulic or electronic seems out of proportion in price/value.

Looking forward to see the end result. Good luck with the build.

Eboht

« Reply #155 on: October 28, 2022, 02:01:40 PM »
Ok, an update.

I received the frame, but a little rocky road dealing with ICAN after the purchase.

First up, weights:

Frame, 58cm, 1241
Thru axles, 79
Fork (uncut), 413
Seat tube,   280
Headset bearings, 65
Handlebar-tube plug, 40
Handlebar-tube spacers, 90

Not ultralight but for an aero frame not bad either. Still a sub-8KG build with the other components (Ultegra 8020).

To get there though, don't use the separate stem and handlebar option. The stem itself comes at a whopping 322 grams. Bit of a waste when trying to shave off weight everywhere else. I contacted them telling it's a bit odd they take that much care to get the frame weight down but then give you a solid piece of ALU to weigh it down.

I asked them to switch for an integrated handlebar instead but that negotiation was rocky...

In any case, once the handlebar arrives I can build up the bike beyond just the rim here.

On the upside, the frame accepts the Gravelkings 32C, run tubeless on a 21mm internal width rim (28 outer). Feeling good about the build and will post another update once I get the handlebar in.

RDY

« Reply #156 on: October 28, 2022, 04:39:35 PM »
looks like there's plenty of clearance to the the seat stays and seat tube.

but what about the BB area?  can you take a photo looking down?

Eboht

« Reply #157 on: October 28, 2022, 07:54:12 PM »
No problem. See below, there is 4-5mm free on either side near the BB.

Tire is at 80psi.

RDY

« Reply #158 on: October 29, 2022, 03:29:27 AM »
No problem. See below, there is 4-5mm free on either side near the BB.

Tire is at 80psi.

I actually meant at the front as that's where it looks like it's closest.  Or maybe it isn't?  Do you have pics of the bearing seats in the headtube and fork steerer?  I'd be curious to see, given a couple of less than stellar ones (vs the Hambini special A22).

Eboht

« Reply #159 on: October 31, 2022, 03:32:12 PM »
It’s the closest near the BB area of the rear wheel - clearance is fine for a 32c tire for sure. The large frame size might help as I guess everything is slightly supersized other than the fork.

I attached the requested head tube bearing seats. I don’t see any real concerns but I have to build the frame up to confirm the tolerances etc.

RDY

« Reply #160 on: October 31, 2022, 04:17:27 PM »
Looks fine.

slow_poke11

« Reply #161 on: November 14, 2022, 04:58:06 AM »
I may be about to pull the trigger on an ICAN A9.  Any positive/negative feedback before I do?  I've read through most of this thread, and there are some things like stem weight, the forks with the hole filled.  I'm going on the assumption that by paying more with ICAN, I will get better service and quality than some of the less expensive sellers.

avocadobike

« Reply #162 on: November 16, 2022, 02:28:54 AM »

I also scored a set of wheels from Peter, advertised here in the forum, 44mm deep, 28mm outer width. Now onto groupsets, for which I think I will go the mechanical route, possibly R8000, anything hydraulic or electronic seems out of proportion in price/value.

that looks really nice, would love to get a review once youve ridden it. i'm thinking of pulling the Trigger on an A9, A22 or a Lexon mission but not sure which one i want yet.

maza

« Reply #163 on: November 21, 2022, 09:30:42 AM »
I'm missing brake caliper bolts for my build. Does anyone know what length to use for Shimano R8020 hydraulics?

EDIT: Measured the frame. It's 25mm thick so type c mounting bolt of that length works.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2022, 07:39:04 AM by maza »

bliblablub

« Reply #164 on: November 22, 2022, 08:27:15 PM »
Does anyone know if the headset for the A9 is FSA NO.55R 1.5/ACR ?
Planning my build right know..