Author Topic: Custom Steel frames, like Waltly does with Titanuim?  (Read 3292 times)

Machine

Custom Steel frames, like Waltly does with Titanuim?
« on: October 19, 2020, 12:20:29 AM »
Anyone know of a reputable steel frame builder who does one-off customs, similar to working with Waltly on a custom Ti bike? Nothing fancy like lugs, just TIG or brazed with my geometry and good tube sets & dropouts. Thanks!

tripleDot

Re: Custom Steel frames, like Waltly does with Titanuim?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2020, 02:34:02 AM »
If you want custom steel bike frames, my suggestion is to check your local bike builders. My personal experience is that you don't need to go far for reputable steel frame builders. It'll save you a lot of trouble & additional expenses like international shipping & custom duties/taxes.

But if you really want to pursue that, you can check out Ave Maldea, he's from the Philippines (where I'm from). Very well known & established here, and had done several frames for folks from different countries. He works with hi-tensile & chromoly steel, I believed he had worked with stainless steel as well. Practically a legend to Filipino cyclists. The bad news is he's swamped, like a 2-3 months turnover. And the COVID situation doesn't make it easier. I believe he can do a hi-tensile steel frame for under US$200. Not sure if that includes paint jobs though.

July 2020 - Custom Waltly Ti 29er
Nov 2018 - Custom Waltly Ti Gravel
Apr 2018 - CS-496 29x3.0 - stripped
Feb 2018 - CS-RB01 (SS Road)
Sep 2016 - CS-RB01 (road sold)
Jun 2016 - Chinese CF XC - stripped
Mar 2016 - Haro Projekt (sold)
Feb 2008 - Jamis Durango 29 (sold)
Mar 2001 - Scott Scale (sold)

gravity

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2021, 10:28:49 AM »
Try Colossi. I think they fabricated the earlier version of Standert bikes - the steel frames that is.

Schumo

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2021, 04:10:07 AM »
Do you know the price of a Colossi frame @gravity? I guess they're quite expensive.

I got a frame from Puhepu Bike Store on AliExpress on the way.
https://de.aliexpress.com/item/1005001429450790.html

I'm not sure tho if they do completely custom stuff, or you can just customize their offered frames.