Author Topic: TanTan TT-X21 frame  (Read 25728 times)

carbonazza

Re: TanTan TT-X21 frame
« Reply #105 on: March 15, 2021, 09:12:18 AM »
Highly recommend spray.bike. Had some great results with it, very easy to use.

Thanks! That is a great idea to build a shop like this.
Too bad the top notice..."This website ships from the UK. EU orders may be subject to an additional customs fee."

adriaanm

« Reply #106 on: March 15, 2021, 09:13:41 AM »
They have a lot of local distributors. Several in Belgium, where I picked some of mine up ;-) (a few years  ago)

imperyal

« Reply #107 on: March 15, 2021, 09:27:57 AM »
Very nice result. Congrats!
Did you consider ceramic coating ? It looks to resist better to scratches and hits.

One day I will paint my frame :)

Thank you  :)
I will have to check on that. For now I really want to finish the paint job and get to build the bike.

Highly recommend spray.bike. Had some great results with it, very easy to use.

My original idea was to use spray cans, but I ended up buying a spray gun. I have a friend that works at a professional paint store, he sourced (and advised) on the paints and clears...
« Last Edit: March 15, 2021, 09:30:18 AM by imperyal »

carbonazza

« Reply #108 on: March 15, 2021, 03:30:27 PM »
They have a lot of local distributors. Several in Belgium, where I picked some of mine up ;-) (a few years  ago)
Thanks again. I didn't see it on their website. Good news, to motivate me to paint a next build.
I'll ask my sister who's art teacher some advice  ???

imperyal

« Reply #109 on: March 17, 2021, 05:30:47 AM »
Thanks again. I didn't see it on their website. Good news, to motivate me to paint a next build.
I'll ask my sister who's art teacher some advice  ???

Buy/use some metal pipes and practice on that.
But not just paint, do the whole thing: primer, paint and clear coat...

To get the basics right, check out this video:

carbonazza

« Reply #110 on: March 17, 2021, 07:51:11 AM »
Thanks !

Who is your contact person and email at TanTan ?
I'm looking to build a couple of hardtails, and could start working with them.

FHS

« Reply #111 on: March 18, 2021, 11:30:15 AM »
Thanks !

Who is your contact person and email at TanTan ?
I'm looking to build a couple of hardtails, and could start working with them.

You can try Lisa, she's who I work/worked with. She's still answering emails and filling orders for me. I have no complaints.

info@tantancycling.com

ldavies

« Reply #112 on: March 18, 2021, 10:49:25 PM »
You can try Lisa, she's who I work/worked with. She's still answering emails and filling orders for me. I have no complaints.

Really?  No complaints other than the brusque attitude and continual underestimation of shipment dates.

ldavies

« Reply #113 on: March 18, 2021, 11:05:25 PM »
Final build done.  A number of small inconveniences that you would likely  not get with a known brand frame.  Specifically:
1) BB86 bottom bracket undersized (again - 3rd frame this has happened on)
2) No cover provided for the seat post.  Most others include a rubber cover that will stop water/sweat getting into the seat tube and stop the seat tube expander bolt from rusting
3) Forgot to ship the oval shaped top cap.  It's also my understanding that the expander plug bolt will still be visible with their custom sized top cap which will mean water ingress into headset etc.
4) I ordered a spare seatpost, handlebar and headset spacer set which they forgot to ship and still have not arrived.
5) They did paint and painted over the brake mounts which mean I should probably get them faced.  They were extremely hard to get right with no brake rub.
6) Frame hole located at bottom of the seatpost where the front derailleur cable comes out was misshapen so there's a small hole where water can get in
7) The misshapen frame hole had a plug device for the cable but it anticipated outer cable through the frame and only inner cable wire outside of the frame but I am running the outer derailleur cable from the handlebar all the way to the front derailleur so I had to go and try and source a plug/grommet that was similar to the one that is used by the rear brake cable where it come out of the nondrive side chainstay.

ldavies

« Reply #114 on: March 18, 2021, 11:25:07 PM »
And look at the hambini bb in action on tt-x21 frame after I had to take the whiffle/flap wheel to expand the size of the bottom bracket to the correct diameter.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/jqDX23VkSLZuZtq9A

carbonazza

« Reply #115 on: March 19, 2021, 01:04:13 AM »
Final build done.

Damn! I won't be able to reproduce it ;)
You look to be the unlucky one with TanTan. Many seems happy.
Your experience worries me obviously, but statistically it should be good  ???

RDY

« Reply #116 on: March 19, 2021, 07:48:33 AM »
BB well that's shit, but common across big brands too.

Painting brake mounts is really sloppy.  Tends to suggest their painters either don't know bikes or don't care. Masking takes 30 seconds.

Not shipping seatpost cover or all the spare parts you ordered isn't a case of forgetting, I would imagine - especially as you say they still haven't rectified this.   They're likely low on parts and don't want to have less parts than frames.

You're brave refacing the BB shell, but looks super smooth now. 

BrianO

« Reply #117 on: March 19, 2021, 09:14:47 AM »
Sorry to hear of your problems with your TT-X21.

I ordered extra parts with my TT-X21 that were not shipped. They did sent the spare derailleur and handlebar spacers via EMS. To be fair, they turned up quite quickly.

I have three problems after 100km of riding.
1) The front derailleur of the sensah empire pro is very hit and miss. It is hard to get the right cable tension in it. I might switch to a 105. This is more a problem with the groupset rather then the frame.
2) There is play in the rear wheels. This will require tightening bearings. Again not a frame issue.
3) There is play in the headset. It is minor and does not effect braking. I have ordered a longer compression cap that may fixe this. I know that previously in this forum, someone used light spacers.

I didn't get the frame painted, so no issues with over painting brake mounts.

I didn't use the Zrace bottom bracket, opting instead for the SRAM dub BB86. It works quite well and I have no complaints.

Another issue with the bike is the saddle that I chose. An all carbon fibre seat was not the best idea, so i am looking for a replacement.

FHS

« Reply #118 on: March 19, 2021, 09:46:12 AM »
Really?  No complaints other than the brusque attitude and continual underestimation of shipment dates.

Sorry to hear that. But, yeah, for me, really, no complaints. Sounds like I had a much better experience, though, with shipping and follow-up. I guess I should add the disclaimer, YMMV.

Your build looks fantastic!

I had a ton of issues with my build, but I chalked most of those up to my inexperience with bike building. I'd say the biggest issues I had would be with the fork/front wheel through axle fit and head tube/headset bearing fit. For both of those, I had to throw in the towel and go to my LBS. About $5 worth of spacers and washers later, it's all good.

FHS

« Reply #119 on: March 19, 2021, 09:53:28 AM »

3) There is play in the headset. It is minor and does not effect braking. I have ordered a longer compression cap that may fixe this. I know that previously in this forum, someone used light spacers.

Yeah, I think that's me. I didn't think the fit was terrible and the play wasn't that bad, really, but it did bug me because the whole headset/bearing/top cap/compression plug just weren't working the way they were supposed to work. Finally got it solved with new bearings, new compression ring, new compression plug, and a few spacers. Definitely needed the new compression plug and spacers, but looking back, it probably would work fine with the TanTan headset bearings and compression ring.