Author Topic: Full sus xc non boost frameset?  (Read 1127 times)

jimmyD

Full sus xc non boost frameset?
« on: November 13, 2020, 07:34:57 AM »
Hi folks,

Suddenly I need to replace my old ican AC036 frame set. Hoping to transfer as many parts over as possible.

Are there any decent 29er XC frame sets available intended for 100mm travel that aren’t Boost? I understand boost wheels will be stiffer but then I guess I’d also need new cranks and I currently use a power2max power meter on Rotor Rex 1.2 cranks, and they’ll be too expensive to replace to make this worthwhile. Fwiw I currently have rockshox monarch cx 165x38mm rear shock and sid xx wc fork with carbon crown.

Any tips on some good frames?

Cheers

hahel

Re: Full sus xc non boost frameset?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2020, 08:35:49 AM »
Not a direct answer to your frame question but trying to provide you with more futureproof options  :).
I was in a similar situation and i opted for buying a boost frame and buying a boost spacer kit for the wheels.
There appears to two kind of boost kits, the one i chose maintains the non-boosted chainline.

jimmyD

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2020, 04:40:46 PM »
Thanks for the advice hahel,

What do you mean it maintains the non-boost chainline? If the frame is wider than the derailleur sits further outboard from the center of the hub correct? ...And the cassette must line up with the derailleur no? 

Ive read a few comments in forums where some people managed to use non boost cranks in boost frames and just put all the spacers on the drive side to space the chainring the extra 3mm outboard.  If this works then ill get to keep my power2max power meter so ill take the punt and try it

Rick64

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2020, 06:29:41 AM »
There is no difference between the crankset on a boost and non boost bike, boost just uses a 3mm offset chainring, and non boost a 6mm offset. If a crankset is being advertised as boost it simply refers to the chainring attached to the crankset when you buy it.

jimmyD

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2020, 11:44:12 AM »
Ah that makes life much easier!! Thanks! All these different “standards” make it all so confusing.

hahel

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2020, 12:24:25 AM »
Not a direct answer to your frame question but trying to provide you with more futureproof options  :).
I was in a similar situation and i opted for buying a boost frame and buying a boost spacer kit for the wheels.
There appears to two kind of boost kits, the one i chose maintains the non-boosted chainline.

Update and warning on my previous suggestion

I finally got the missing parts for my build and started the final assembly, sadly i ran in to some problems with the spacer solution.
The hi/low adjustment  on my derailleur (11speed Shimano di2 XT) will not allow me to compensate for the cassette sitting 3mm further inboards, so now i cant reach the lowest gear on the rear.

I'm considering my options now, as i see it:
* Move all spacing to the NDS and redish the wheel, this will require more spacers for the brake rotor.
* Custom/modified hanger that moves derailleur 3mm inwards (not likely)
* New rear hub and relace the wheel
* New wheel

Feels like my budget build is busting it's seams :/

chetosmachine

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2020, 12:53:00 AM »
I would look for a 6mm boost kit (like this one https://problemsolversbike.com/products/brakes/booster_-_k5144) and redish the wheel. This will make your transmission work properly again and only your disc is spaced 6mm.