Author Topic: Partial table of full sus frame dimensions  (Read 1326 times)

Hei hei

Partial table of full sus frame dimensions
« on: November 24, 2020, 10:11:16 PM »
Hello, new to the forum, but have been spending every waking second for the last week trying to decide what is the most comparable Chinese frame to a 2019 Kona Hei Hei. I put together a list of some of the frames that I think are closest, but I know nothing about geometry and even less about how geometry translates into riding experience. I do know that I really like the feel of my Kona hei hei and would like to build a Chinese carbon frame with the components from my hei hei - like I say I don’t know if this is even possible, but if I can’t use the majority of the components I already have it won’t be economical for me to do this.

Components:
29er wheels: front - 110x15, 2.5 tire; rear - 148x12, 2.35 tire,
SRAM nx, 1x28 chain ring, 11x42 - 11 sp
Rockshox Sektor RL Air 165x48 (rear)
Rockshox Monarch RL 120mm (front) offset =56mm
SRAM PF92 bottom bracket
1-1/8x1-1/2 headset (I think) - will need a new one anyway.
31.6 dropper seat post - internal cable

The hei hei literature describes it as a progressive cross country race and trail bike. It has 100mm of travel in the back and 120mm in the front. I can compromise somewhat on the ride feel/geometry but I’m not looking for a downhill bike. I mostly ride cross country aggressively and like to hit any jump/drop that is less than 2 feet - not sending it....but not going easy on the bike either. I have put together the attached table of options so far. I think the Ican S8 might be the best match on a overall basis but it’s very subjective. Any advice on geometry, other models I should consider, suppliers or wether this is ridiculous exercise are welcome.....if it’s relevant I’m 5’9” and weigh 180lbs.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 10:36:53 PM by Hei hei »

JII

Re: Partial table of full sus frame dimensions
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2020, 10:46:19 AM »
Do you know the Carbonda FM936?

Hei hei

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2020, 03:53:04 PM »
Thank you for that, I was beginning to think it was something I said. I’ve added the specs to the table attached. The FM936 will certainly work from a component perspective, but will the long front make me lean forward more when I ride and will the longer chain stay make it harder to manual or lift the front wheel?  It’s also 60mm longer on the wheelbase than the Hei Hei - does this translate to a more stable but less nimble ride? I presume it is a well know and well liked frame here. Does anybody have any experience riding it. Final big question, how much does it cost ? I’ve sent an inquiry through their website so will let you know what they quote me.
Thx

theirishrider

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2020, 04:09:33 PM »
Thank you for that, I was beginning to think it was something I said. I’ve added the specs to the table attached. The FM936 will certainly work from a component perspective, but will the long front make me lean forward more when I ride and will the longer chain stay make it harder to manual or lift the front wheel?  It’s also 60mm longer on the wheelbase than the Hei Hei - does this translate to a more stable but less nimble ride? I presume it is a well know and well liked frame here. Does anybody have any experience riding it. Final big question, how much does it cost ? I’ve sent an inquiry through their website so will let you know what they quote me.
Thx
Theres a whole 77 page thread on this forum, all the owners seem to love it, myself included. It manuals fine- but read for full details :)

Hei hei

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2020, 08:45:24 PM »
Thank you. I read all 77 pages and it’s very informative. I was quoted $230 shipping which is $100 more than every other frame on aliexpress - is that normal, I assume it’s negotiable? My only other major concern is that I don’t think my 165x38 Monarch RL Solo Air shock will fit because it has eyelets and not trunnion mount. I know this topic has been covered but I didn’t see this exact question before - can I just use bushing spacers to take up the space on either side of the eyelet?
Thx

theirishrider

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2020, 07:12:07 AM »
Thank you. I read all 77 pages and it’s very informative. I was quoted $230 shipping which is $100 more than every other frame on aliexpress - is that normal, I assume it’s negotiable? My only other major concern is that I don’t think my 165x38 Monarch RL Solo Air shock will fit because it has eyelets and not trunnion mount. I know this topic has been covered but I didn’t see this exact question before - can I just use bushing spacers to take up the space on either side of the eyelet?
Thx

Wow, that must have taken some time!

Sure Carbonda is a bit more expensive - but you're getting a frame that used by top companies, with  0  FM936 frame failures (as far as we know). From a company that has some good customer support accounts on this forum. I paid 230 DHL shipping and the frame arrived in 7 days i think, in perfect condition without even a dent on the box. I can't speak about the Aliexpress stuff but i think the FM936 is hard to beat on a number of levels.

Regarding the shock, you can get eyelet to trunnion adapters ( i dont know if they're good) that i think at least 1 person used:
https://www.dirtlabs.com/products/copy-of-trek-trunnion-mount-adapter-kit
I dont think you can use spacers since the shaft needs to be internally treaded.  Personally, I'd just buy this: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fox-Performance-165-x-42-5-Shock-Giant-Anthem-27-5-Trunnion-Dps-Float/124273032134?epid=7026833371&hash=item1cef3ffbc6:g:rLEAAOSwRDJcCemV

Hei hei

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2020, 08:52:52 AM »
Thank you. Yes, I’ve been binge reading when I should be working. Agreed, I’d be concerned using the adapters because the load point is so far away from the attachment flange that the bolts could bend - the large disclaimer on their website doesn’t inspire me with confidence either. Also it looks like you would need two of these @ $65 each! The right fitting shock is looking more reasonable all the time.

Hei hei

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2020, 01:01:00 PM »
Ok, so my first choice the ICAN S8 is no longer available, so I’m on to the Light carbon LCFS911 and the Carbonda FM936. Either one I have to buy a trunnion mount rear shock. Was hoping to use my eyelet mount shock but alas it looks like this is unreliable.

Leaning towards the fm936 because of the extensive first hand positive experiences here. Looking at the normal weight frame i.e. non super light, but it only comes with a bsa73 bottom bracket. I absolutely can’t be buying a new crank spindle for this so the question is will my existing nx sram crank work with the bsa bb from a overall width perspective. I realize I need a 24/22 diameter bearing set.

My nx crank is currently in a 92 gxp mtn press fit bb - my concern is that the bsa 73 bbs have screw caps on each side that stick out from the frame - will the spindle be long enough ?

Also does anybody have any comments on the durability of the Carbonda paint ?

acedeuce802

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2020, 02:11:45 PM »
The GXP crank that is currently in a PF92 GPX BB will fit just fine in a BSA BB in a 73mm frame.

Cerps

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2020, 10:27:47 PM »
Ok, so my first choice the ICAN S8 is no longer available, so I’m on to the Light carbon LCFS911 and the Carbonda FM936. Either one I have to buy a trunnion mount rear shock. Was hoping to use my eyelet mount shock but alas it looks like this is unreliable.

Leaning towards the fm936 because of the extensive first hand positive experiences here. Looking at the normal weight frame i.e. non super light, but it only comes with a bsa73 bottom bracket. I absolutely can’t be buying a new crank spindle for this so the question is will my existing nx sram crank work with the bsa bb from a overall width perspective. I realize I need a 24/22 diameter bearing set.

My nx crank is currently in a 92 gxp mtn press fit bb - my concern is that the bsa 73 bbs have screw caps on each side that stick out from the frame - will the spindle be long enough ?

Also does anybody have any comments on the durability of the Carbonda paint ?

You can get machined adapters to use a regular shock in a trunnion frame. I know first hand lightcarbon ships the 911 with spacers to run an eyelet shock. Someone here in the USA makes them but the name escapes me