Author Topic: Myriad of small problems with TanTan FM10  (Read 4207 times)

slickrock22

Myriad of small problems with TanTan FM10
« on: December 05, 2020, 10:47:21 AM »
I have been lurking on this site for a few years and finally have decided to pull the trigger on a frame.  Honestly I still have some reservations about who the right vendor is, which frame makes the most sense, is buying direct the right answer, will there be QA issues, blah blah blah. This is my first chinese direct frame.  Nothing new to people that have spent more than 5 minutes reading posts in this forum.

I decided to get a TanTan FM10 from Lisa for my son (5'3'', 100 pounds).  I currently ride a 2016 Trek Remedy 9.8 29er and whenever we go riding my son takes my bike and makes me ride his $200 hardtail special from Dicks Sporting Goods.  It works, but a far cry from the plush ride of my FS.  At almost 50 years old, a $25 coil front shock and hardtail aluminum frame does not agree with my aging body.  I still beat him on the trails tho  8)

It's funny when you PayPal a random address in China $700.  Sort of like responding to that email that explains  that I had a long lost uncle in Nigeria who left me $25 million, but I need to send $25K to complete the paperwork and my bank account information.  Seems like in today's world of e-commerce this could be a bit more dialed in.

Anyways, back to the purchase.  This frame seems to be a good middle ground and hopefully works well for my son.  I am now going to start putting together the list or parts to buy, starting with a front and rear shock.  There are some good threads that I need to reread and pull specs but feel free to make suggestions if you have some.  I would like to keep the build <$3K with a combination of new/lightly used parts.  I will need to decide between XT and GX (1x12).  The verdict is still out how often this bike will actually be used so I don't want to go over the top.

I will keep the group up to date as I get updates on shipping and receive the frame.  I truly appreciate all the knowledge shared on this forum (minus the fake news that seems to pop up regularly).  I am a real human (live in Texas) and will provide real feedback on my experience.  If this goes well, maybe will buy 1000 frame sets and open shop.  ;D.  Stay tuned and thanks again!
« Last Edit: March 23, 2021, 07:20:11 AM by slickrock22 »

FHS

Re: Pulled the Trigger on an FM10 from TanTan
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2020, 10:13:13 AM »
Looking forward to your updates. I purchased a road bike frame from Lisa about a week ago. This is my first Chinese frame purchase as well, and I can relate to every reservation you've expressed.

Did you contact Lisa directly through their website?

chetosmachine

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2020, 01:17:19 PM »
Re the groupset, online websites report the tests of deore and SLX are already excellent, so it could be easy to keep the budget. Same with the brakes, at least shimano, you gain adjustments, but not brake power (or definitely not in the same % as the price increase)

slickrock22

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2020, 08:24:51 AM »
Looking forward to your updates. I purchased a road bike frame from Lisa about a week ago. This is my first Chinese frame purchase as well, and I can relate to every reservation you've expressed.

Did you contact Lisa directly through their website?

I did not receive a response when I used the contact page on the site.  I found the direct contact info on the tantan site and used Lisa's email contact from there.  I received a quick response.

slickrock22

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2021, 11:40:43 AM »
Fedex says the frame will be here on Friday :).  There is a chance I may turn around and sell it.  Got a little impatient and bought my son a complete Niner rip 29 that should be here soon as well.  I am excited though as I have been reading this forum for a while and want to get my hands on a frame.

slickrock22

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2021, 09:18:05 AM »
Received the bike via FedEx yesterday. Only approximately two months. Not terrible. Looks amazing and definitely exceeds expectations. Now I need to determine what I’m going to do. Yeah oh I like that one better

emu26

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2021, 11:05:48 PM »
Nice one mate.

I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised with the quality of mine as well. Even my boy and all of his mates were drooling over how good it looked and they are "brand snobs".

Just remember to strip it down and lube / loctite all of the fittings as required.

slickrock22

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2021, 09:01:51 AM »
Is it normal for Tan Tan to ship a carbon fiber rear axle?  Seems a bit sketch.  Doing some searching I didnt see where other were advocating a carbon fiber rear axle.

emu26

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2021, 06:19:06 PM »
Is it normal for Tan Tan to ship a carbon fiber rear axle?  Seems a bit sketch.  Doing some searching I didnt see where other were advocating a carbon fiber rear axle.

Apparently it is. From memory I enquired with them before I purchased and was told I could get the metal one. I don't recall 100% if it was them or the other seller I had been speaking to or even if I ended up requesting it when I actually got around to ordering but I ended up getting the CF one as well.

I have read reports of them breaking but, again from memory, they guy described it as "plastic" so I am not certain which one he got.

I had a spare metal one so I just used that instead. I would be interested to hear what others have to say.

slickrock22

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2021, 05:50:09 PM »
Thanks for the response.  Not sure I want to try it and find out.  Interestingly it feels like aluminum with a carbon fiber wrap but I am not sure if that is correct. 

Got my rear shock off PinkBike this week.  $250 delivered.  DPX2 185x55.  1 step closer.

slickrock22

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2021, 04:29:00 PM »
Getting there.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2021, 04:32:20 PM by slickrock22 »

slickrock22

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2021, 08:09:06 AM »
Ran into another snag.  The 150mm SRAM Reverb Steak dropper post wont go in far enough.  I used a borescope and took this photo which shows some type of ridge at 160mm from the top of the seat post.  Looks like I should be able to sand.  I guess these are the challenges of buying a non-production frame.

emu26

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2021, 03:48:45 AM »
That looks like a second tube bonded over. Don't know if you'll be able to sand that down enough.

FWIW I'm using the Satori post without issue.  https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001271508662.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.27424c4dVbcoUB

slickrock22

« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2021, 07:18:58 AM »
Thanks.  What length.  Mine is a Reverb Stealth (SRAM) 150mm.  Tan Tan could have made the connection between the tubes smoother to accommodate dropper posts.  It doesn't start to curve until lower in the tube. 

Also attempted to mount the rear Shimano XT disc brake caliper using a 160->180 Shimano adapter and the mount holes are too shallow in the FM10.  :o.  The standard length Shimano bolts bottom out before becoming tight.  I don't enjoy my stuff being mickey mouse with extra washers and stuff to just make it work right.  These frames must not be proven or tested.  Each small issue I encounter makes me wonder how many people have encountered the same issues.

It also looks like I will need to get the aluminum spacers for mounting my DPX2 rear shock machined to increase the length of the reduced diamter portion that fits into the shock on either side as it is too wide as is.

slickrock22

« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2021, 07:20:56 AM »

I did confirm with Lisa (Who is very responsive) that the skewer is Aluminum.