Author Topic: Velobuild VB-R-168  (Read 4199 times)

adriaanm

Velobuild VB-R-168
« on: December 15, 2020, 05:12:49 AM »
I've been looking for a while to replace my beloved 2004 bmc streetfire with a disc brake frame with good tire clearance. Based on some geometry comparisons, I was initially thinking to go with the FM-1056, but the trail looks pretty sluggish (67mm trail for 32mm tires is actually longer than my current gravel bike...) and I don't mind the slightly more race-oriented geo for the VB-R-168 since its stack/reach is just a few mm different from my current bike (<- hit the swap button if you're curious).

I sent an inquiry through his website last night, and Chris told me that they're currently testing the frame and that it should be available later this month!

Anyone else look into building up one of these? Thoughts / things to look out for? Thanks!

Jarne

Re: Velobuild VB-R-168
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2021, 03:17:08 AM »
I'm going to buy this frame. Chris answers within minutes and is very responsive! I guess it's available now, because he didn't mention they are still working on it... I will update when I receive it. (it's going to take a while because I will get it custom painted)

Zdrenka89

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2021, 03:29:16 AM »
I was initially thinking to go with the FM-1056, but the trail looks pretty sluggish (67mm trail for 32mm tires is actually longer than my current gravel bike...)

with those trail measurements, I'm guessing you are looking for a smaller frame size?

adriaanm

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2021, 04:20:12 AM »
Yes, I was looking at the S. Eventually ordered a Yoeleo R11 in 54cm, btw.

Here was my math:
tire width (C2): 32mm
head angle (C3): 71.7 deg
fork offset (C4): 45mm
trail: 67mm (=((315+C2)*cos(C3/360*2*PI())-C4)/sin(C3/360*2*PI()))

Zdrenka89

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2021, 05:17:39 AM »
Yes, I was looking at the S. Eventually ordered a Yoeleo R11 in 54cm, btw.

Here was my math:
tire width (C2): 32mm
head angle (C3): 71.7 deg
fork offset (C4): 45mm
trail: 67mm (=((315+C2)*cos(C3/360*2*PI())-C4)/sin(C3/360*2*PI()))

Yeah smaller frames sizes sometimes have those compromises.

Out of curiousity - Im looking for a similar bike, however if I could squeeze in a 35c tyre that would be great. Do you have the R11 in your hands and could you check if the 32mm clearance is conservative or not?

adriaanm

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2021, 06:03:55 AM »
Will do as soon as I receive the frame! I’m hoping they still ship it out before the lunar new year. It was being painted last week.

cyclemadkiwi

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2021, 07:45:08 PM »
I'm going to buy this frame. Chris answers within minutes and is very responsive! I guess it's available now, because he didn't mention they are still working on it... I will update when I receive it. (it's going to take a while because I will get it custom painted)

Hi, Last year I got the rim brake version, VB-R-068 and up to now I have done over 3000Km, a few weeks ago it developed a creak in the headset, after trying a few things I removed and checked the fork and there was a crack in the steerer tube. I have made a repair using high modulus carbon fiber and epoxy resin and it has solved the problem. I have just emailed Chris to ask about if anyone else has had an issue...and of course warranty claim for a new fork. So, just have a close look at the steerer tube near the bottom on the tapered part, it looks like a split line mark from the mold but this was a little more than a line.

Cheers
Glen

braincore

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2021, 09:37:53 PM »
I have just emailed Chris to ask about if anyone else has had an issue...and of course warranty claim for a new fork.

How has your warranty conversation gone? I just put in an order with VB and I want to make sure they stand by their warranties.

cyclemadkiwi

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2021, 09:21:02 PM »
Chris did reply, but as my pictures were not great of the initial cracks and I had no time to wait to get it repaired he has taken it as "He will make a note of it" and as my repair is sweet, I've not asked for a replacement. I custom painted it so don't need the extra hassle. I am confident that if it does rear it's ugly head again, he will honour the warranty from the first contact I made about the issue. 

adriaanm

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2021, 04:29:35 AM »
Out of curiousity - Im looking for a similar bike, however if I could squeeze in a 35c tyre that would be great. Do you have the R11 in your hands and could you check if the 32mm clearance is conservative or not?

I have now had my 54cm Yoeleo R11 frame in hand for two weeks! Haven't finished the build yet, but installed the wheels to get you those numbers.

The pinchpoint is the chainstay width, which I measured as 40mm. So, if your 35c is actually 35mm wide, it could work, but it would be very tight.

I have 32c gp5000 mounted, which are 30mm wide and "tall" (width as measured). At the fork I measured 6mm clearance on the sides / top. In the rear, there's plenty of space for a "taller" tire, but, as a I said, the width would be the limiting factor.

Hope that helps! Happy to provide other feedback. My frame weighs 900g with the (removable) FD hanger and grommets. Paint looks really nice.

Zdrenka89

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2021, 09:55:52 AM »
I have now had my 54cm Yoeleo R11 frame in hand for two weeks! Haven't finished the build yet, but installed the wheels to get you those numbers.

The pinchpoint is the chainstay width, which I measured as 40mm. So, if your 35c is actually 35mm wide, it could work, but it would be very tight.

I have 32c gp5000 mounted, which are 30mm wide and "tall" (width as measured). At the fork I measured 6mm clearance on the sides / top. In the rear, there's plenty of space for a "taller" tire, but, as a I said, the width would be the limiting factor.

Hope that helps! Happy to provide other feedback. My frame weighs 900g with the (removable) FD hanger and grommets. Paint looks really nice.

Wow thanks man! It is as suspected then. 40mm of clearance might be to tight for me. Most tires run a 1-2mm wide nowadays with wide rims. Seems like the Carbonda CFR1056 gives more clearance.

Again thanks for remembering my request :)