Author Topic: Carbonda FM909  (Read 118981 times)

Pedaldancer

Re: Carbonda FM909
« Reply #360 on: April 08, 2022, 08:10:00 PM »
What frame size do you recommend at 176cm and a leg length of 81cm? So have shorter legs than average.

I am wavering between S and M. I want to build the bike with a 120mm suspension fork and still ride a sporty position.

I  added the comparison of the geometries. (Screenshots are taken from https://www.bike-stats.de)

1,70m work 80cm leg length. I ride the S with 60mm cockpit. I have also rather short arms (i like to bend them). That gives me a sporty position.. although this will never be similar to road bike position.

No you shouldn't transfer your road bike to a mountainbike. But you can transfer your personal taste. I prefer short road bikes. Reach <370mm with 80mm stem. So .. pretty short. If yours are much longer that's maybe a hint to go for an M 909 frame.

max7373

« Reply #361 on: April 09, 2022, 07:06:40 AM »
Lee McCormack's and Peter Verdone's methodics.

Interesting approach. I didn't know that before. I will take a closer look at it. Peter's bikes look pretty "wild" at first glance". But it seems as if he knows what he is doing.

Reach <370mm with 80mm stem. So .. pretty short. If yours are much longer that's maybe a hint to go for an M 909 frame.

Yes, I drive a more stretched position there. I have on the bikes a Reach of 387, respectively 390mm and a 120 / 100mm stem. Currently, I'm leaning towards the M, but I'm still undecided whether the position is too "comfortable" for me.

I'll give you an update when I have some new thoughts. It may help others if I share my thought process here. :)

wfl3

« Reply #362 on: April 09, 2022, 07:28:09 AM »
Interesting approach. I didn't know that before. I will take a closer look at it. Peter's bikes look pretty "wild" at first glance". But it seems as if he knows what he is doing.

Yes, I drive a more stretched position there. I have on the bikes a Reach of 387, respectively 390mm and a 120 / 100mm stem. Currently, I'm leaning towards the M, but I'm still undecided whether the position is too "comfortable" for me.

I'll give you an update when I have some new thoughts. It may help others if I share my thought process here. :)

I would size this frame for no longer than a 60mm stem if running a 120mm fork.  The steering gets really sluggish beyond that with the 66 HTA.  40-50mm stem would be the sweet spot IMO.

Pedaldancer

« Reply #363 on: April 09, 2022, 10:03:38 AM »

Try to do some test rides on similar bikes..e.g. Specialized Epic Is similar. M in Speci corresponding roughly to 909 S size.
When you know what feels okay, it's better to choose.

60mm doesn't feel sluggish to me... but that is personal choice. I think 40/50mm is not stable enough for me..

« Reply #364 on: April 15, 2022, 02:03:33 PM »
Hello everybody, just got my 909 frame, a little bit disappointed about quality. Does everyone have the same issue as on pictures 2 and 3?

azuzu501

« Reply #365 on: April 16, 2022, 10:09:13 AM »
My bike is ready :)

Pedaldancer

« Reply #366 on: April 16, 2022, 02:27:07 PM »
Hello everybody, just got my 909 frame, a little bit disappointed about quality. Does everyone have the same issue as on pictures 2 and 3?

No..my frame looks okay. Is this only in the paint that shows cracks?

« Reply #367 on: April 17, 2022, 06:52:20 AM »
No..my frame looks okay. Is this only in the paint that shows cracks?

There's no paint, just bare carbon. I don't think there are cracks, more like carbon layers were put this way, I don't know. Disappointed a little bit though, may be should've bought FM936. My friend has it and he has no complains about quality.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2022, 06:56:59 AM by PrettyAwesomeJellyBean »

Pedaldancer

« Reply #368 on: April 18, 2022, 10:03:37 AM »
There's no paint, just bare carbon. I don't think there are cracks, more like carbon layers were put this way, I don't know. Disappointed a little bit though, may be should've bought FM936. My friend has it and he has no complains about quality.

There is paint.. matte UD is already painted. If there was bare carbon you should see the layers of carbon. UD as well as 3K.

multig

« Reply #369 on: April 20, 2022, 09:46:33 AM »
Try to do some test rides on similar bikes..e.g. Specialized Epic Is similar. M in Speci corresponding roughly to 909 S size.
When you know what feels okay, it's better to choose.

60mm doesn't feel sluggish to me... but that is personal choice. I think 40/50mm is not stable enough for me..
This can be a difficult choice even with a test similar bike. If you like the fit, then you need to build the same, taking into consideration the difference in frame geometry.
My test bike was a Carbonda 936 L-size (same geometry) with 100 mm fork, 51 (i think) mm offset, 80-90 mm stem. The fit was very low and stretched, the steering was very sharp, the bike itself was kind of sluggish.
My friend decided to buy M-size, I bought a size L anyway. We are both 180 cm tall.
To avoid negative moments, I installed a 120 mm fork with offset 44, stem 35 mm (also i bought 45 mm), riser handlebar 760 mm, spacer ring under the stem. In my opinion, it turned out perfectly for my riding style.

Pedaldancer

« Reply #370 on: April 22, 2022, 02:09:02 AM »
This can be a difficult choice even with a test similar bike. If you like the fit, then you need to build the same, taking into consideration the difference in frame geometry.
My test bike was a Carbonda 936 L-size (same geometry) with 100 mm fork, 51 (i think) mm offset, 80-90 mm stem. The fit was very low and stretched, the steering was very sharp, the bike itself was kind of sluggish.
My friend decided to buy M-size, I bought a size L anyway. We are both 180 cm tall.
To avoid negative moments, I installed a 120 mm fork with offset 44, stem 35 mm (also i bought 45 mm), riser handlebar 760 mm, spacer ring under the stem. In my opinion, it turned out perfectly for my riding style.

I said similar. This includes of course also the cockpit setup!
How can you compare two bikes that have an effective length difference of 5-6cm on the hand position? You may guess from a slight deviation, this is too long, too short,  too whatever.. but the length difference and by that also  height difference that you described, created a complete different sized bike, 6cm roughly two sizes up? .. although the core part was the same...
The epic I tested came with a 60mm stem. So absolutely comparable as I went also for 60mm for my 909.

« Last Edit: April 22, 2022, 02:10:44 AM by Pedaldancer »

d3xophen

« Reply #371 on: April 24, 2022, 03:08:55 AM »
Hello there, I have been reading this thread for a long time and waiting for some brands to use this fm 909 frame. But can't wait any longer since only bombtrack brand using this frame in the prototype and still not officially released it yet.
So, I can't wait any longer and want to order now. I am 165lb(75kg) and 5'9" (174cm), inseam 80cm.

Please expert chime in on which size and stem should I order. I am now riding Sworks epic frame in size M with a 70mm stem. I decided to use integrated handlebar which carbonda offer. Which shock should I order? I am ok with 165x40cm.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2022, 03:42:14 AM by d3xophen »

turokg

« Reply #372 on: April 24, 2022, 05:52:47 AM »
finally finished my build. just in time

10.5 kg (including pedals and sealant)

turokg

« Reply #373 on: April 24, 2022, 05:55:31 AM »
Hello there, I have been reading this thread for a long time and waiting for some brands to use this fm 909 frame. But can't wait any longer since only bombtrack brand using this frame in the prototype and still not officially released it yet.
So, I can't wait any longer and want to order now. I am 165lb(75kg) and 5'9" (174cm), inseam 80cm.

Please expert chime in on which size and stem should I order. I am now riding Sworks epic frame in size M with a 70mm stem. I decided to use integrated handlebar which carbonda offer. Which shock should I order? I am ok with 165x40cm.
I think you should go with M size. Don't know about the stem

Are you sure Carbonada is offering these handlebars? When I've reached them last summer, they didn't.
So I ended up with stem and handlebar by FSA

Pedaldancer

« Reply #374 on: April 24, 2022, 07:11:07 AM »

Epic in M corresponds quite good to 909 in S with a 120mm fork. When you just look for the frame . If you want to exchange the 70mm stem work a shorter stem the M is also a choice... but the integrated bar is only available 60mm minimum length.
Your choice depends on what you want to do.. XC bikes have a bit longer stems I guess whereas trail bikes have rather shorter ones 35/40/50.. but with the latter you can't go for the Carbonda cockpit..keep that in mind.
Try bikestats to compare.  NS bikes uses the 936 frame, for their "synonym", 936  has the same geometry.. there is a 100mm as well as 120mm setup for front travel.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2022, 07:49:05 AM by Pedaldancer »