Author Topic: hub options for wheel build.  (Read 745 times)

chr0m3d.

hub options for wheel build.
« on: January 23, 2021, 05:36:29 AM »
i’m doing abit of research to understand the different hub options commonly available from AE sellers. i know DT-Swiss is pretty much the go-to for reliability but given their price tags, even for the 350, are the hubs below ranked correctly? i basically ranked them according to the pricing from one seller. but do their prices really reflect their quality?

1- DT-Swiss 250
2- DT-Swiss 350
3- Powerway R39 Aluminium
4- Powerway R36 Carbon
5- Novatec 791/ 792
6- Novatec 291/ 482

FHS

Re: hub options for wheel build.
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2021, 02:35:02 PM »
The only experience I have is with the DT Swiss 240s, 240 Ratchet EXPs to be exact. I got those on a coup when I ordered my wheels from Light Bicycle. The NA were house specced out an AR46 wheelset that would build and ship right away, originally with DT Swiss 350s. When they found out those were actually out of stock, the swapped in the 240 Ratchet EXPs at no extra charg and shipped out the wheels right on schedule. Great experience with Light Bicycle!

The Ratchet EXP system is fantastic and easy to service. My freehub popped off when I was transporting my wheels in the back of my car. Fished the ratchet and spring from backseat floorboard, dusted off the beachsand and Cheetoh crumbs, greased em up, popped em back in, no issues. If you need to replace any of the inner parts, they are readily available, but my understanding is that you probably will never have to unless you want to "upgrade" to 54t.

Can't speak for any other of the hubs listed as far as bang for your buck goes, but two thumbs up for one more worry free part with the DT Swiss. That being said, I would have gone with the Novatecs if that's all Light Bicycle would have had to build my wheels with.

carbonazza

Re: hub options for wheel build.
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2021, 01:52:28 AM »
I have Novatec 411/412 on my gravel for 3 years.
I was planning to change the bearings when I would notice some play, that never came.
They have now an online shop in Europe(maybe US too) where you can order spare parts easily and fast. And with good tech support.
However, changing the freehub to an XD one, wasn't as smooth as with DT-Swiss.
I had to put a .25mm shim to make it work properly.