Author Topic: FSA ACR Headset - ACR Top Cover Required?  (Read 1441 times)

FHS

FSA ACR Headset - ACR Top Cover Required?
« on: January 24, 2021, 10:56:02 PM »
Hi All,

Been riding my Tantan TT-X21 for a couple weeks now and I'm really liking it. I'm still having issues with my headset/head tube though. Nothing too serious, I don't think, but definitely making me think I have to open it up, probably redo the cabling, and really check the bearing orientation.

As long as I'm opening it up, I'm thinking about just switching out the cheapie headset that came with the frame for an FSA ACR headset. The big question is, will the FSA ACR headset work with the top cover that came with my frame or is it some special, essential component to the FSA ACR system? If it does work with my current top cover, it's an easy upgrade.

Are there any other headset options for an integrated handlebar/stem/frame that might work with my build? I'm happy with the integrated handlebars that came with the purchase and I'd rather not drop a truckload of cash on a new handlebar/stem/headset combo just to upgrade the headset.

Thanks!

Snacks

Re: FSA ACR Headset - ACR Top Cover Required?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2021, 11:54:29 PM »
I was actually thinking of doing the same thing but when I checked you'd have to swap out the handlebar as well because the little dimple things on the headset wouldn't match up with the stem.  Unless that doesn't really matter

FHS

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2021, 01:31:50 PM »
I was actually thinking of doing the same thing but when I checked you'd have to swap out the handlebar as well because the little dimple things on the headset wouldn't match up with the stem.  Unless that doesn't really matter

Yeah, that's only if you have to use the FSA Top Cover though. If you can use the cheapie top cover and spacers that comes with the handlebars, then you're good to go! I actually really like the way the cheapie set looks way better than the blocky FSA top cover and spacers.

I went ahead and ordered the FSA ACR Headset. 30 day returns FTW. I'll let you know how it works out!

vasnd

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2021, 10:01:16 AM »
Yeah, that's only if you have to use the FSA Top Cover though. If you can use the cheapie top cover and spacers that comes with the handlebars, then you're good to go! I actually really like the way the cheapie set looks way better than the blocky FSA top cover and spacers.

I went ahead and ordered the FSA ACR Headset. 30 day returns FTW. I'll let you know how it works out!
Can you update on this, I'm curious!

FHS

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2021, 02:36:20 PM »
Can you update on this, I'm curious!

Yeah, it works, no problems! I fit the bearings and the lock ring, used the FSA compression plug, and tightened it all.down with the TanTan headset cover and handlebar spacers with no issues. I had to use some micro spacers with the lock ring, but that's not an FSA fitment issue.