Author Topic: 29er XC Hardtail - Boost - Modern Geometry  (Read 15790 times)

NB87

29er XC Hardtail - Boost - Modern Geometry
« on: January 29, 2021, 04:28:43 AM »
Hi all,

This is my first post and I'm trying to find my way in the world of open/public mold carbon frames.
I'm interested in buying a frame and building it up with good spec. My first project will be a hardtail and if that goes well i'm definitely also getting a full sus later on.

As the topic title suggests.. for my first Chiner, I'm looking for an aggressive XC hardtail that is going to be ridden hard.

It needs to be boost and have modern geometry (i.e. longish reach, slackish headangle, steepish seatangle, short chainstay. You know the deal.. it should be able to compete with other modern bikes in this category) 

I made a little comparison in key geometry numbers between some open mold models and a few big brands in the industry. See attached.

For the Chinese frames I compared the following:
LightCarbon LCM908
TanTan FM799
Trifox SDY20
Carbonda FM386

Trifox seems to have good numbers, but it's double the price compared to the others. The LightCarbon LCM908 is another contender but a slightly slacker headangle, a bit steeper seat angle and definitely a shorter chainstay would be better.

Experts of Chinertown, I kindly ask for your advice.

Is LightCarbon good quality? They gave me a price of USD 335 ex shipping which is so cheap that it worries me a bit tbh! I'm looking for a proven vendor that stands behind their products and offers good quality frames. I rather pay more if I know that the quality is good and consistent.

Is there another good contender that I'm missing in my comparison?

Thanks a lot and looking forward to the response

Shinso

Re: 29er XC Hardtail - Boost - Modern Geometry
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2021, 05:36:31 AM »
Of that lot I'd be tempted to go for the Trifox...

LightCarbon is a perfectly reputable trader but that slack seat angle and steeper h/a would put me off, particularly if you're tall and have a lot of exposed seatpost.

carbonazza

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2021, 06:11:18 AM »
Did you check the FM916 ?
https://www.flybike-asia.com/product/175.html

Carbonda sells them in Super Light and Normal.

Vipassana

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2021, 12:00:16 PM »
Given your list, I would also go with the Trifox.  The chainstay length alone would have me looking at it.  I really don't like the loss of traction during climbing that I've noticed with long chainstay frames.  At least on a hardtail.

NB87

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2021, 12:06:55 PM »
Did you check the FM916 ?
https://www.flybike-asia.com/product/175.html

Carbonda sells them in Super Light and Normal.

Nice one. I can't find it on the carbonda website though.

Le Duke

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2021, 02:21:49 PM »
Given that a 34 SC has an A-C of 530mm, and the listed geometry of the LCM908 is with a 490mm A-C, it will change significantly with either a 100mm or 120mm fork. They are using the equivalent of an 80mm 29er fork for their geo; those aren’t even in production anymore.

I.e., that 69.5 degree HTA becomes a 67.5 degree HTA with a 120 up front.

NB87

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2021, 02:47:34 PM »
Given that a 34 SC has an A-C of 530mm, and the listed geometry of the LCM908 is with a 490mm A-C, it will change significantly with either a 100mm or 120mm fork. They are using the equivalent of an 80mm 29er fork for their geo; those aren’t even in production anymore.

I.e., that 69.5 degree HTA becomes a 67.5 degree HTA with a 120 up front.

Good call, I didn't realize that.

carbonazza

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2021, 04:17:03 PM »
Nice one. I can't find it on the carbonda website though.
Just contact them by email.
But it is holiday time in China now, so don't expect a response before ~feb 20th

carbonazza

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2021, 05:30:17 AM »
Bummer... Wing announced me yesterday they won't stock hardtails anymore unless for big order.
I hope it won't become a trend for single orders of other models.
They will focus on full suspension and gravel bikes.

xcr4cer2022

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2021, 02:42:48 AM »
Hi,

Any update on this? Trifox SDY20 looks perfect, but does not have internal port for dropper.

Looking for geo similar to new scott spark 120mm.

Thanks!

dischucker

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2021, 02:22:37 AM »
Just bumping this thread to see if there are any 29er Boost HT frames with geo close to 66° HA and 75° STA with a 120mm fork? I've read a bunch of posts but seems like this sort of frame is not being made in the open-mould market...

Major Clod

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2021, 05:09:48 AM »
Another bump here.  I have a spare boost 29er Wheelset and some other components that I want to throw onto a frame for racing.  The Trifox looked ok but I need an XL, which they don't appear to make.

carbonazza

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2021, 04:59:13 AM »
Did you see this thread ?
http://chinertown.com/index.php?topic=3366.0

I contacted Joy @ Haideli about it, and she said it should be in production in October.
Then asked for a 120mm fork on it, and got the usual "it is designed for 100mm".

I'm waiting for it, for two builds.

dischucker

« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2021, 09:49:28 PM »
Did you see this thread ?
http://chinertown.com/index.php?topic=3366.0

Still pretty old-school with a 435mm reach in M, 470mm seat tube (I could only fit a 100mm dropper post) and 69° HA (120mm fork would be maybe 67.5° which is OK). Short reach and too long a seat tube are deal breakers for me.

zilcho

« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2021, 07:26:00 PM »
Has anyone found a different source for the Trifox SDY20? The numbers and looks are identical to the Epic hardtail but they're charging a premium for gloss paint and logos that I don't want.

The new Tideace is interesting, super short chainstays at 425, but 2.35 tire limit in the rear and I'd like to run 2.4, and have to wait for production.

The new Airwolf frame is almost an Epic hardtail clone but chainstays are a little longer at 439 vs 430.

Are yall building with 100 or 120 forks? I like the idea of a lightweight xc machine but keep getting tempted by that little bit of extra travel. Need to remember that's what my 936 is for.