Author Topic: ZRace Disc Brakes  (Read 13383 times)

coffeebreak

Re: ZRace Disc Brakes
« Reply #60 on: December 02, 2022, 09:05:07 PM »
Dang! Link please? Or rather timestamp if you remember. He talks a LOT!
« Last Edit: December 02, 2022, 09:44:07 PM by coffeebreak »

jonathanf2

« Reply #61 on: December 03, 2022, 12:06:43 AM »
Dang! Link please? Or rather timestamp if you remember. He talks a LOT!

Here's the time stamp talking about the ZRace/Onirii calipers:
https://youtu.be/odBUtlLUzC8?t=477

One thing he mentioned is that his calipers came with two different brake pads. I'm pretty sure mine are running the same pad size.

coffeebreak

« Reply #62 on: December 03, 2022, 01:13:05 AM »
I checked mine. They are same. Basically there is no distinction between front and rear, so when he says front caliper came with larger pads I'm baffled.

Then he switched pads to semi metallic ones which resulted in better performance, but we already know that.
Apart from that what else is there? Watched the whole thing and there is nothing related to setup as such.

ChrisB

« Reply #63 on: December 03, 2022, 06:35:19 AM »
Here's the time stamp talking about the ZRace/Onirii calipers:
https://youtu.be/odBUtlLUzC8?t=477

One thing he mentioned is that his calipers came with two different brake pads. I'm pretty sure mine are running the same pad size.

Yep, I left a comment that mine are using both the smaller type brake pads.
I first bought the wrong ones because what I read online regarding the size...
The ones that fit my calipers are Shimano GRX L05 - K04S types without cooling finns.

See my comment with pictures here:
http://chinertown.com/index.php/topic,3333.msg38122.html#msg38122

BR Chris
« Last Edit: December 03, 2022, 06:39:08 AM by ChrisB »

jonathanf2

« Reply #64 on: December 03, 2022, 09:38:55 AM »
I checked mine. They are same. Basically there is no distinction between front and rear, so when he says front caliper came with larger pads I'm baffled.

Then he switched pads to semi metallic ones which resulted in better performance, but we already know that.
Apart from that what else is there? Watched the whole thing and there is nothing related to setup as such.

There was nothing in his video that really showed how to set them up, but I noticed I had them installed wrong. The correct way was to have the pad adjuster screwed out with the pin sticking out, route the brake cable and tighten with the bolt, then screw in the pad adjuster back in to pull the cable tighter. Also any micro adjustments can be done using the barrel adjuster on the calipers. Plus with my Sensah shifters, I was able to dial in the brake pull even more from the hoods with a hex wrench (similar with Shimano shifters). Now when I pull the brake levers, they lock up almost immediately without much effort.

Also a few comparison notes between the F1s and BR-05 calipers, I find the cable routing much better with the BR-05 lining up with rotor. On my F1s, the fork cable bends outward, while the rear actually rubs up against the seat stays (put protection tape on) since the cable alignment is on the outer side. Though I found the Juin Techs a bit more intuitive to setup and I prefer the tool free approach to the barrel adjuster on the F1s. The BR-05 can do 140mm rotors, while the F1s can only do 160mm smallest.

I tend to prefer the Juin Tech F1s, but you can practically buy 2 or maybe 3 BR-05 calipers for the same price.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2022, 10:20:07 PM by jonathanf2 »

Tijoe

« Reply #65 on: December 03, 2022, 07:51:27 PM »
I have been running Juin Tech GT-P 4s on my gravel bike for over a year.   I love their stopping power, but have had problems with the caliper overheating and dragging heavily on the rotors.   It has been difficult finding a good balance of clearance of the pads to the rotors, versus how far I have to pull the levers to get them to grip.

I also run Juin Tech GT-P 4s on my Waltley TI 29er hard tail with dropper bars.  Not quite as bad of brake overheating because I can go so much faster on descents having a front suspension fork, much ;arger tires, and use the brakes a lot less overall.

I have a Juin Tech F1 on the front of my old Merlin road bike where I purchased a disc brake road fork and built a front road wheel with a 160 rotor.  The bike slows much better on long wet descents, versus the weight weenie side pull I used to use.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2022, 07:55:02 PM by Tijoe »

Tijoe

« Reply #66 on: December 03, 2022, 07:55:36 PM »
I have been running Juin Tech GT-P 4s on my gravel bike for over a year.   I love their stopping power, but have had problems with the caliper overheating and dragging heavily on the rotors.   It has been difficult finding a good balance of clearance of the pads to the rotors, versus how far I have to pull the levers to get them to grip.

I also run Juin Tech GT-P 4s on my Waltley TI 29er hard tail with dropper bars.  Not quite as bad of brake overheating because I can go so much faster on descents having a front suspension fork, much larger tires, and therefore use the brakes a lot less overall.

I have a Juin Tech F1 on the front of my old Merlin road bike where I purchased a disc brake road fork and built a front road wheel with a 160 rotor.  The bike slows much better on long wet descents, versus the weight weenie side pull I used to use.

jonathanf2

« Reply #67 on: December 03, 2022, 10:26:31 PM »
Today I rode the Onirii BR-05 calipers out on some flats, hill climbing and fast descents. I'm thoroughly impressed now. I did both steep downhills and rough paved fire roads. The calipers braked extremely well and they handled near if not equal to my Juin Tech F1s. I'll see how they hold up in the next few weeks. I also picked up some spare brake pads once the stock ones wear out.

« Last Edit: December 04, 2022, 06:02:50 AM by jonathanf2 »

coffeebreak

« Reply #68 on: December 03, 2022, 11:10:32 PM »
I'm intrigued by the adapter used for rear caliper mount. What frame is it? Is that plate custom made?

jonathanf2

« Reply #69 on: December 04, 2022, 10:31:58 AM »
I'm intrigued by the adapter used for rear caliper mount. What frame is it? Is that plate custom made?

It's a post to flat adapter. I picked it up awhile ago, because initially I was planning to make this particular post mount frame into my GRX groupset build, but ended up using a different frame instead. I used an FM fork to convert the entire bike. I'm currently running it as a 1x road bike with an 11-32t cassette and 28c tubeless slicks, but I have an 11-50t and some Gravelking tires if I decide to go full gravel.

This is the person who makes them:
https://www.assolutions.ca/product-category/adapters/

ZRace recently started making one similar, but based on the post mount frame (ex: 160mm), requires you to upsize your rotor:
https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256804752872846.html

« Last Edit: December 04, 2022, 10:36:13 AM by jonathanf2 »

TeamO

« Reply #70 on: December 10, 2022, 08:28:51 AM »
Hello,
I bought the ZRace BR-005 to mount on my wife's future Velobuild GF-002 gravel bike. I have read that for the best braking performance I need the brakes with Jagwire cables and housings. Can someone tell me exactly which product I need there? I find many different options.

In addition, I have ordered the Cooma brake pads.
Chris B.:
I measured the break pads installed in my Zrace BR-005 with following values: Height 29.5mm / Width 26.5mm / Pad only height 16.5mm
Result: Should be K04S compatible so ordered some Cooma BP944ExPlus-RS805 to try:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000220934631.html

TidyDinosaur

« Reply #71 on: December 10, 2022, 09:07:19 AM »
Jagwire Road pro I think. Just look for Compressionless in the description. Should be 25-30 eur for the set

coffeebreak

« Reply #72 on: December 10, 2022, 06:44:55 PM »
Hello,
 I have read that for the best braking performance I need the brakes with Jagwire cables and housings. Can someone tell me exactly which product I need there? I find many different options.

I bought these for my GF002 build https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00A4D1PUM

It says compression-free which I assume is same as compression-less.

kbike

« Reply #73 on: December 10, 2022, 07:00:31 PM »
Search for Jagwire keb-sl.

jonathanf2

« Reply #74 on: December 11, 2022, 10:43:55 AM »
One thing to note regarding the BR-05 calipers. My rear caliper clamp kept slipping the brake cable after some really hard downhill descents. It required me to tightening the cable more than I normally would. I'll see how it holds, but if it keeps slipping I'll probably have to apply Loctite to the screw.