Author Topic: Foam tubing  (Read 831 times)

svanimpe

Foam tubing
« on: February 17, 2021, 06:51:05 AM »
Does anyone have any recommendations on where I can buy foam tubes, to put around hydraulic hoses to stop them rattling in the frame?
I suspect most Chinese frames don't include any foam/sleeve for this.

wfl3

Re: Foam tubing
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2021, 07:03:27 AM »
I got a few bags of these for the next time I re-cable any of my bikes:
https://www.wiggle.com/lifeline-internal-routing-anti-vibration-foam

In the meantime I cut a segment out of a pool noodle I found in the garage - about the length of the downtube from the cable exits to the headtube - and pulled the fork out so I could shove it down under the cables through the headtube.  I'd say that it's been about 99% effective.

carbonazza

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2021, 07:38:36 AM »

svanimpe

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2021, 08:14:13 AM »
Thanks

RobertRinAustin

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2021, 12:23:27 PM »
Any good Ali options?  Shipping to the US makes the European offers not cost effective.

I ordered some back in the fall and it was just heavy rubber tubing.

bxcc

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2021, 02:31:35 PM »
Not sure about Ali options but McMaster Carr is great. Looks like a 10 foot section is only $7.54 with an inner diameter of 1/4". That should do for getting rid of the rattles if you can get it to fit inside the frame.

https://www.mcmaster.com/foam/multipurpose-blended-neoprene-foam-tubes/

emu26

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2021, 04:27:22 PM »
Any good Ali options?  Shipping to the US makes the European offers not cost effective.

I ordered some back in the fall and it was just heavy rubber tubing.

Go to your local plumbers supply or hardware co-op and buy some closed cell pipe insulation. Comes in lots of sizes and can be cut easily and squashed to insert via head tube or BB. Heavy by the length but you only need a few short pieces.

RobertRinAustin

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2021, 07:58:20 PM »
Thanks for the tips.

carbonazza

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2021, 05:18:53 AM »
Go to your local plumbers supply or hardware co-op and buy some closed cell pipe insulation. Comes in lots of sizes and can be cut easily and squashed to insert via head tube or BB. Heavy by the length but you only need a few short pieces.

I was using that too.
It is possible to silence the rear brake and shifter hoses in the chainstay this way, but the dedicated foam tubes are easier.

I tried cheap foam tubes for car doors from Ali, they are ok, but much heavier.
I don't think similar light foam is available( yet  8) ) from Ali.