Author Topic: Velobuild VB-R-168 Frame  (Read 196834 times)

hazzer19

Re: Velobuild VB-R-168 Frame
« Reply #90 on: May 20, 2021, 01:21:11 PM »
Thanks for the feedback - I actually need a light mount, so its perfect.

About the tires  - my experience is that old tires balloon 1-2mm over time from holding pressure over a couple of months. So it sounds very normal.

I'm currently planning on running two wheelsets. One LB WR45 wheelset with 30c Pro Ones for the road, and one wheelset with 33c cyclocross tires for the beaten path. It looks like the cutout in the seattube is the limiting factor in the back. How about the fork? Do you think such a tire could clear?

Ah good to know about the tires widening a bit more over time. My older 28c were used and were quite a bit wider than the new 28c I mounted (which already have a cut in the sidewall I'm not sure I'll be able to fix :( )

Here are some photos of the clearance on the fork and back. Mounting 33c cx tires sound really interesting. Would love to see photos once you get that set up.

hazzer19

« Reply #91 on: May 20, 2021, 01:32:00 PM »
There are some nice specialty jigs out there, but, unless you're cutting steerer tubes on multiple bikes multiple times, it was difficult to justify the price. I had one of these in.my tool box so I tried it.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00XAK72Q2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_fabc_7RYW9ET805XHCBWYMMYN

Worked fine. Probably took a  bit longer to cut, but after some sanding and clear nail polish, it looks great.

I used the same and it worked out really well! I was pretty nervous about cutting the steerer without the proper tools but this turned out well.

Was also a bit worried about installing a pressfit BB for the first time also without the tools but this simple combination from the local hardware store for under CAD $10 worked really well. I unfortunately had to then take out the BB again the day after as I disconnected the cable going from the di2 battery in the seat tube to the junction box in the BB area, also without the tool and ended up hammering it out with a long hex key and hammer. Was horrified while doing it but it seemed to work ok and went in fine again with the home made press.

Zdrenka89

« Reply #92 on: May 21, 2021, 05:33:20 AM »
Ah good to know about the tires widening a bit more over time. My older 28c were used and were quite a bit wider than the new 28c I mounted (which already have a cut in the sidewall I'm not sure I'll be able to fix :( )

Here are some photos of the clearance on the fork and back. Mounting 33c cx tires sound really interesting. Would love to see photos once you get that set up.

Bummer with the sidewall cut :( - I HATE puncturing brand new tires. Feels like such a waste.

The pictures show some pretty damn decent clearance I have to say. I have seen a Tarmac SL7 mounted with tires that measure 34mm and this looks every bit as capable. I am thinking about buying a set of Vittoria Terreno Zero 32c since they are very puncture resistant and still works well on the tarmac. Should be great as a winter wheelset too.
I will definitely show the result here.

minisergium

« Reply #93 on: May 23, 2021, 03:51:18 AM »
Hi everybody, another one about to buy this frame...

Any idea about which TT bars could fit this handlebar?

minisergium

« Reply #94 on: May 23, 2021, 04:11:32 AM »
Build is 97% complete as I'm just missing a couple of parts but took it for my first 70k ride this am! Felt awesome. Definitely a better fit for me personally. The bars weren't as flexible as I thought although they aren't suuper stiff. I also liked the curved shape of them and wasn't sure about them at first. Climbs well, very responsive. Overall very happy so far.

Nice build! Can I ask what handlebar size is it?

hazzer19

« Reply #95 on: May 23, 2021, 10:23:12 AM »
Nice build! Can I ask what handlebar size is it?

Thanks! 400mm x 90mm bars

Someone on this forum pointed out that the bars seem to flare up quite a bit extending the reach more than they expected. I ordered a shorter stem length anyway without knowing this and have been happy with the fit. Bars have been pretty stiff so far and not terrible to wire internally.

hazzer19

« Reply #96 on: May 23, 2021, 10:25:51 AM »
Bummer with the sidewall cut :( - I HATE puncturing brand new tires. Feels like such a waste.

The pictures show some pretty damn decent clearance I have to say. I have seen a Tarmac SL7 mounted with tires that measure 34mm and this looks every bit as capable. I am thinking about buying a set of Vittoria Terreno Zero 32c since they are very puncture resistant and still works well on the tarmac. Should be great as a winter wheelset too.
I will definitely show the result here.

I'm still wrestling with the back tire but may have sealed the side cut by taking off the wheel and rotating it so enough sealant get to it.

Intrigued about the ability to put thicker cx/gravel like tires on this frame!

minisergium

« Reply #97 on: May 24, 2021, 02:07:33 AM »
Thanks! 400mm x 90mm bars

Someone on this forum pointed out that the bars seem to flare up quite a bit extending the reach more than they expected. I ordered a shorter stem length anyway without knowing this and have been happy with the fit. Bars have been pretty stiff so far and not terrible to wire internally.

Thanks! That was the option I was looking at...

minisergium

« Reply #98 on: May 24, 2021, 05:17:01 AM »
Intrigued about the ability to put thicker cx/gravel like tires on this frame!
+1

BTW, It's the first time I buy a bike in parts and I'm planning to have it mounted in a bike workshop, but I'm not an expert and maybe I'm missing something. Could you help me? That's what I'm looking at:

- Whole SRAM Rival group 140/160 Diameter Disc Brake Rotor
- Elitewheels SLT 50MM * 29MM, RD12 XDR hub (with Pillar 1420 spokes?)
- Continental GP5000 25/28mm tyres (not sure, yet)
- Saddle (already bought)

Would you change bottom bracket? Would you change anything?

Any incompatibility, missing thing or simply advice will be appreciated.

carbonazza

« Reply #99 on: May 24, 2021, 06:50:16 AM »
... with Pillar 1420 spokes...

I've ordered a wheelset last week from another shop.
And asked what they were thinking about Pillar spokes, if they did improve.
They told me to go for the SAPIM CX-Ray. As they are more reliable.

This matches my experience with Pillar ones.
Some broken spokes, but more problematic are their poorly anodized alloy nipple that seize with the spoke in the long term.
But if you want to save on spokes and go Pillar, maybe ask for the little heavier brass nipples then.

wijmaar

« Reply #100 on: May 24, 2021, 06:54:28 AM »
+1

BTW, It's the first time I buy a bike in parts and I'm planning to have it mounted in a bike workshop, but I'm not an expert and maybe I'm missing something. Could you help me? That's what I'm looking at:

- Whole SRAM Rival group 140/160 Diameter Disc Brake Rotor
- Elitewheels SLT 50MM * 29MM, RD12 XDR hub (with Pillar 1420 spokes?)
- Continental GP5000 25/28mm tyres (not sure, yet)
- Saddle (already bought)

Would you change bottom bracket? Would you change anything?

Any incompatibility, missing thing or simply advice will be appreciated.

I would have a look at: https://roadmeister.cc/. Complete report on building his Velobuild bike, and includes his shopping list.

Few questions from my side:

1. Considered tubeless? I'm planning to go for the pro-one TLE from Schwalbe.

2. I would add foam liners to prevent rattling from the brake lines

3. I think you will need an adapter (FM 160>140) to fit the 140mm disc

4. Make sure to match mounting system of the discs to the rims (either centerlock or 6 bolt)

5. Bottle cages, rim tape, bar tape, tubeless valves ...

6. Start looking for the rival set soon, as all the Sram parts are really hard to find.

And finally, why not build it yourself, really great to do and will make maintenance a lot easier!

minisergium

« Reply #101 on: May 25, 2021, 10:47:08 AM »
I would have a look at: https://roadmeister.cc/. Complete report on building his Velobuild bike, and includes his shopping list.

Few questions from my side:

1. Considered tubeless? I'm planning to go for the pro-one TLE from Schwalbe.

2. I would add foam liners to prevent rattling from the brake lines

3. I think you will need an adapter (FM 160>140) to fit the 140mm disc

4. Make sure to match mounting system of the discs to the rims (either centerlock or 6 bolt)

5. Bottle cages, rim tape, bar tape, tubeless valves ...

6. Start looking for the rival set soon, as all the Sram parts are really hard to find.

And finally, why not build it yourself, really great to do and will make maintenance a lot easier!

Thanks everybody!

I'll take your points into account... I've asked for Rival to local retailers and no stock till 2022. It's crazy...

About mounting it myself... I'm pretty sure something will be broken until I spend a looooot of time watching tutorials. A time I don't have by now...  ;)

Zdrenka89

« Reply #102 on: May 26, 2021, 12:54:17 AM »
I've asked for Rival to local retailers and no stock till 2022. It's crazy...

I bought Rival Etap online not to long ago - it seems like delivery times are between 2-3 months. So not 2022. More like August-September.

minisergium

« Reply #103 on: May 26, 2021, 01:51:41 AM »
I bought Rival Etap online not to long ago - it seems like delivery times are between 2-3 months. So not 2022. More like August-September.

Where did you buy it?

wijmaar

« Reply #104 on: May 26, 2021, 02:44:25 AM »
I've asked for Rival to local retailers and no stock till 2022. It's crazy...

Where do you live? After weeks of searching I managed to get hold of a Force Etap upgrade kit this week, found one in Germany through eBay. Local retailers are not the way to go I'm afraid, as even the bigger online retailers hardly have any stock.

Furthermore I would really consider combining an upgrade kit with buying a crank, cassette, bottom bracket and chain separately, as for Force the upgrade kits were easier to get hold of. I ended up buying the upgrade kit combined with a Rotor ALDHU24 crank and a Shimano BB92 bottom bracket, which also allowed me to use a power2max NG eco power meter  :D