Author Topic: Velobuild VB-R-168 Frame  (Read 198399 times)

jokage

Re: Velobuild VB-R-168 Frame
« Reply #225 on: July 05, 2021, 09:09:16 AM »
Directly from Chris via e-mail, he confirmed on Thursday 1st July that both the 168 frame in a 52cm size and the bar in 400/90mm were both in stock, as I wanted to make sure before I confirmed the order.

Thanks! I'll check with them tomorrow. I've placed my order on 19th of June knowing that it will need to wait for two weeks or so as the bar was out of stock.

Zoc

« Reply #226 on: July 05, 2021, 10:13:25 AM »
Seatpost cover specialized Tarmac

does this work?
don't think so, as the bolt to fix the seatpost at the tarmac is on the upside therefor the cover has a small nipple which fits in the bolt
the VB-R 168 has the bolt below the top tube

OlieSimpson

« Reply #227 on: July 05, 2021, 11:16:06 AM »
Seatpost cover specialized Tarmac

does this work?
don't think so, as the bolt to fix the seatpost at the tarmac is on the upside therefor the cover has a small nipple which fits in the bolt
the VB-R 168 has the bolt below the top tube

Hmmm, if that's the only issue I'd just cut the little nipple off and sand it down a bit until it was smooth. Fingers crossed.

wijmaar

« Reply #228 on: July 06, 2021, 01:56:35 AM »
Just checked on mine, nothing like a nipple to see:

Zoc

« Last Edit: July 06, 2021, 05:27:10 AM by Zoc »

OlieSimpson

« Reply #230 on: July 06, 2021, 09:19:49 AM »
I'm having some problems briefing VeloBuild on the paint scheme of my frame, can someone verify if what I'm trying to explain to them is correct?

I would like a Chameleon paint job with three different colours and a gloss finish. My very basic understanding of a chameleon paint job is that you overlay one layer of paint on top of the other, and at certain angles/in certain light of of the colours becomes more prominent?

I am using this for reference which I think is someone's frame on here that is currently being shipped? http://www.velobuild.com/products/vb-r-168-light-weight-carbon-road-bike-frameset-glossy-green-chameleon-fading-paint

The frame in the link above looks mostly black (primary colour) and green (secondary colour), then it has a dark purple (accent colour) at certain angles.

I would like to copy this style for my frame, with the colours being black (primary colour) and dark purple (secondary colour). My accent colour will then be Giro d'Italia pink, which should only show at certain angles in the same way the purple does in the reference frame.

My brief is not clear to VeloBuild (probably my fault), and they are asking which areas of the frame I would like painting in each colour. Is the answer not just all of it? As I don't want just the down tube in black, and the just the top tube in purple for example.

wijmaar

« Reply #231 on: July 06, 2021, 09:38:57 AM »
I'm having some problems briefing VeloBuild on the paint scheme of my frame, can someone verify if what I'm trying to explain to them is correct?

I would like a Chameleon paint job with three different colours and a gloss finish. My very basic understanding of a chameleon paint job is that you overlay one layer of paint on top of the other, and at certain angles/in certain light of of the colours becomes more prominent?

I am using this for reference which I think is someone's frame on here that is currently being shipped? http://www.velobuild.com/products/vb-r-168-light-weight-carbon-road-bike-frameset-glossy-green-chameleon-fading-paint

The frame in the link above looks mostly black (primary colour) and green (secondary colour), then it has a dark purple (accent colour) at certain angles.

I would like to copy this style for my frame, with the colours being black (primary colour) and dark purple (secondary colour). My accent colour will then be Giro d'Italia pink, which should only show at certain angles in the same way the purple does in the reference frame.

My brief is not clear to VeloBuild (probably my fault), and they are asking which areas of the frame I would like painting in each colour. Is the answer not just all of it? As I don't want just the down tube in black, and the just the top tube in purple for example.

Good choice ;). That is actually the frame which is on it's way to me. My paint job was put together as follows, I asked Chris to paint the frame as much as possible like:

Which translated to the following mockup made by Chris:

Mine is made up out of two colours: gloss black and gloss green chameleon. The gloss green chameleon is green / purple based on the angle. I had to pay for 4 colours (1 for gloss black, 3 for gloss green chameleon).

Zoc

« Reply #232 on: July 06, 2021, 10:29:18 AM »
i think there is a mistake
chameleon is not achieved by mixing two colours or three,

this are ready colours green/purple or so
you have to ask chris which chameleon colours he is able to paint,

if you like you can add a fade effect into black

i choose green/purple which is very dark,
means low light nearly black
normal light dark green
sunshine green with purple

pictures at the start of the thread

1Sigma

« Reply #233 on: July 06, 2021, 10:36:34 AM »

Hi Ollie, I reckon Velobuild uses premixed chameleon options.
Seems like what you are looking for is something one of these colours: YB91, YB92 over a black base

Ifyou can find an example of the colour you want and send a pic, I am sure it will help him a lot

Better than average - Extra Average

wijmaar

« Reply #234 on: July 06, 2021, 11:17:43 AM »
i think there is a mistake
chameleon is not achieved by mixing two colours or three

I'm sorry if I formulated it wrong, I had to pay for three colours as you pay €20 per colour and chameleon is more expensive (€60).

curvenut

« Reply #235 on: July 06, 2021, 03:09:07 PM »
Good choice ;). That is actually the frame which is on it's way to me. My paint job was put together as follows, I asked Chris to paint the frame as much as possible like:

Mine is made up out of two colours: gloss black and gloss green chameleon. The gloss green chameleon is green / purple based on the angle. I had to pay for 4 colours (1 for gloss black, 3 for gloss green chameleon).

Is it possible to ask velobuild to put the same decal, S-works  on the frame  ??

1Sigma

« Reply #236 on: July 06, 2021, 05:31:31 PM »
I am certain they will.  There is a cost for decals.  For me it was $30.  Do not know if this varies depending on how many you get. I requested decals for the downtube, headtube, top tube, and seat tube.

Originally I asked if I could add 中国制造, which means Made in China.
They would have let me have that on the house. Lol

I'd totally lean into it though and call it "C-Works"    ;D

« Last Edit: July 07, 2021, 10:11:14 AM by 1Sigma »
Better than average - Extra Average

Nickk2000

« Reply #237 on: July 06, 2021, 08:56:04 PM »

im really interested in how this will turn out in comparison! the tone wont be spot on but if its good a normal eye hopefully wouldnt be able to see the difference. Dengfu wont put brand decals on, which im curious why. copyright infringement? theyre a decently sized company so i bet they have more to lose than velobuild for example. Since the paint is never going to be perfect i personally opt for single colors from a name brand frame, its hard for these guys to perfectly replicate one.

jokage

« Reply #238 on: July 06, 2021, 09:24:38 PM »

Is it possible to ask velobuild to put the same decal, S-works  on the frame  ??

I doubt they could do that. Generally, to these open mold vendors, custom design is a OK, real brand is not.

You can try asking them directly, but if they can't, you can always order some at your local sticker shop.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2021, 09:28:42 PM by jokage »

jokage

« Reply #239 on: July 07, 2021, 01:41:04 AM »
In other news, it seems that VB bumped their shipping costs. It was $80 and now it is $112 for US, and from $64 or something to $95 to my country. That's pretty steep.