Author Topic: Velobuild VB-R-168 Frame  (Read 198313 times)

wijmaar

Re: Velobuild VB-R-168 Frame
« Reply #300 on: July 22, 2021, 03:55:34 PM »
Yes show me a picture - this is the only thing I seem to be missing.

Sorry mine is still in the bike, which is currently hanging in the stand. Closest I could find is this:

Mine was in the bag with headset parts.

Where did you buy your SL7 seatpost cover? Thanks in advance

Ordered mine here: https://www.stouwdam.nl/en/specialized-stp-my21-tarmac-sl7-seatpost-wedge-513

Btw did you weight the frame and fork?

I did:

Frame 1110g
Seatpost 234g
Fork (untrimmed) 417g
Axles 82g
Handlebars 332g
« Last Edit: July 22, 2021, 03:59:13 PM by wijmaar »

toben

« Reply #301 on: July 22, 2021, 06:54:39 PM »
Sorry mine is still in the bike, which is currently hanging in the stand. Closest I could find is this:

Dang it! I never got one of those. And strangely I have 2 extra things that I do not know what they are for.

Any idea where I can order one the thing to hold the seatpost up? Is it the same on a SL7 and I could order one of those. But the sl7 looks like there is a spot in front of the steadpost for something.

It will take a long time to get here from Velobuild.

AngelDust

« Reply #302 on: July 22, 2021, 08:49:37 PM »
I did:

Frame 1110g
Seatpost 234g
Fork (untrimmed) 417g
Axles 82g
Handlebars 332g

Thanks man
+200 gr from what chris told me  (Frame : 980 gr unpaintted)
thats quite heavy , thinking about how to make it lighter  ;D

jokage

« Reply #303 on: July 22, 2021, 09:49:42 PM »
Thanks man
+200 gr from what chris told me  (Frame : 980 gr unpaintted)
thats quite heavy , thinking about how to make it lighter  ;D

It's not hard if you have a drill.*

* don't take this post seriously.

OlieSimpson

« Reply #304 on: July 22, 2021, 11:47:40 PM »
Thanks! All seems to be okay on first sight, I checked with Chris and he asked to unpack and make pictures. Have checked and all seems okay, frame was packed really well indeed.

They did send me the wrong headset bearings... Anybody knows the correct size?

So far really happy with the paintjob and the quality of the frame. Will do a more thorough check in daylight tomorrow. Some first pictures:

The frame looks amazing, both the quality of the carbon and paint job/finish look class! Super glad I went for a very similar paint scheme to yours! Also great to see the seatpost cover fits, I'll order one from the same place as yourself.

Bummer about the headset, I might send Chris a message before mine is shipped asking if he can confirm via pictures that all parts are included in the box given you have the wrong bearing and another user is missing the seatpost wedge.

How long did you wait between confirming your colour scheme and receiving the mock-up for approval? I confirmed all of my decals and colours to Chris 10 days ago and he hasn't come back to me yet with the mock-up, even though he promised to send it as soon as the paint scheme was confirmed.

Please feel free to say no to this, however would it be possible for you to advise on what the M number and length is per bolt in the frame, as I want to replace them with Ti bolts but have them ready for when the frame arrives. I've read you can save around 80g if you swap all of the bolts out from the default steel ones, plus I'd like all of the bolts to be black for a bit of a stealthier look. The ones I can think of are:

Stem
Steerertube expander
Steerertube wedge
Top cap
Bottle cage
FD Braze on mount (I think these also look countersunk from pics?)
Seatpost wedge
Front and Rear break mount

Many thanks in advance!

« Last Edit: July 23, 2021, 02:12:17 PM by OlieSimpson »

Nickk2000

« Reply #305 on: July 23, 2021, 10:20:52 AM »
80g is a lot! Thats the equivalent of running corsa g2.0’s vs gp5000’s (listed)

toben

« Reply #306 on: July 23, 2021, 12:49:40 PM »

Can anyone link to a seatpost wedge on ebay that looks like it will work? I dont want to wait for this to be shipped from China

1Sigma

« Reply #307 on: July 23, 2021, 03:49:06 PM »
Ive never ridden an sl7 but im genuinely curious if you put a 168 and an sl7 next to each other, would you feel the difference? You could say the sl7 is stiffer due to layup, but i have a hard time distinguishing that. I think the price comes from name and weight, to which the weight part comes from a better layup. I think theres more to the comfort of a bike than just the frame. Handlebars, wheels, seatpost, tires, etc etc

I would bet an avid cyclist with experience with top-tier bikes would.
I wouldn't.  I am upgrading from a 26lbs old Kona frame converted to a road bike configuration.

168, SL7.  For me it'd be like telling the difference between 2 bottles of fine wine when you are used to box wine
Better than average - Extra Average

wijmaar

« Reply #308 on: July 24, 2021, 07:14:07 AM »
Did my first 50km ride today! Love it!! Build went pretty smooth, only real pain was setting up the rear caliper without disc rubbing, but I managed to get it right in the end. Will post some more details later.

AngelDust

« Reply #309 on: July 24, 2021, 07:48:45 AM »
Did my first 50km ride today! Love it!! Build went pretty smooth, only real pain was setting up the rear caliper without disc rubbing, but I managed to get it right in the end. Will post some more details later.

Looking good
mind to share the spec and weight?
still waiting mine to be shipped :'(

jokage

« Reply #310 on: July 24, 2021, 07:49:09 AM »

Nice looking!

Can't say I am not jealous. Mine is still stuck at the customs.

That's a set of Farsports 38mm, correct? I'd probably get the same wheelset.

1Sigma

« Reply #311 on: July 24, 2021, 01:46:56 PM »

Ordered mine here: https://www.stouwdam.nl/en/specialized-stp-my21-tarmac-sl7-seatpost-wedge-513

I did:

Frame 1110g
Seatpost 234g
Fork (untrimmed) 417g
Axles 82g
Handlebars 332g

Forgive me if you mentioned this elsewhere, but what size frame?

For the 099 in 58cm, Chris quoted 1200g, 400, and 360 for frame, fork, and post.
Since the 099 is the venge inspired frame, I imagine it's a bit heavier
Better than average - Extra Average

toben

« Reply #312 on: July 25, 2021, 02:27:18 PM »
Can someone scan a seatpost wedge so I can 3d print it?

RidePalatinate

« Reply #313 on: July 26, 2021, 02:44:51 AM »
Looking good
mind to share the spec and weight?
still waiting mine to be shipped :'(

That's a great looking bike! Congrats and thanks for sharing.
I would also be interested in the details of the build, especially the parts you used. I'm planning a quite similar build, but just getting started in the SRAM world (it will most likely be SRAM out of curiosity and, of course, availability reasons).

Zdrenka89

« Reply #314 on: July 26, 2021, 03:08:06 AM »

Congrats on the build! Fantastic looking bike. I really like the subtle fade in the paint!