Author Topic: Velobuild VB-R-168 Frame  (Read 198457 times)

hazzer19

Re: Velobuild VB-R-168 Frame
« Reply #375 on: August 10, 2021, 01:52:59 PM »
Yeah I agree with Schumo. That first one you linked looks like a straight purple. Maaaaaybe it has the slightest shift to red at high angle.

I see what you're saying, however VB did call the original colour I wanted chamaleon purple so I reference it by name and by providing a link to what they had done already, yet I got what I got...

On a separate note, tonight while out on a ride and changing a flat, the thread from the rear hanger on my 168 stripped. I don't believe I had been overtoqueing it. When ordering the frame I specifically asked for spare hangers for situations like this but looking at them now there isn't a thru axle one and now I can't tighten my back wheel.

Will be asking for a couple of more. In the meantime if anyone has any tips on getting a stripped thread on a hanger to hold better, please let me know!

Update on this, VB actually did send me a couple of spare TA rear hangers like I requested (one with the small frame bolt threaded, and the other not?). When I installed one of the new hangers, I had the same issue with not being able to get the TA tightened and realized the issue seems to be with the TA thread itself stripping so am requesting a new TA and possibly a couple more hangers in case I've ruined them in the process. I have played around with using 0, 1 and 2 of the round spacers for the TA with no luck either.

1Sigma

« Reply #376 on: August 11, 2021, 07:04:52 PM »
Arg!  I don't know if I can accept this! 
It's so far from red I am speechless! I've emailed Velobuild, but not hopeful for a happy resolution.

On to stuff you want to hear:
56cm frame with HB010 bars
Frame weight w/axle: 1160g
Fork w/axle: 466g
Handlebars: 322g
Seat post: 244g
Hardware pack: about 260g (I still had it in the box balled up with shipping tape)
Total: 2,452g. 
Actually a little lighter than I anticipated, as this includes thru-axles, bearings, spacers, and compression plug
Also, I was not charged duties.  The only higher priced delivery that escaped it.

Looks like the total build will come in just under 17lbs.  Crossing fingers
« Last Edit: August 12, 2021, 07:52:33 PM by 1Sigma »
Better than average - Extra Average

AngelDust

« Reply #377 on: August 11, 2021, 08:45:40 PM »
It's so far from red I am speechless! I've emailed Velobuild, but not hopeful for a happy resolution.

On to stuff you want to hear:
56cm frame with HB010 bars
Frame weight w/axle: 1160g
Fork w/axle: 466g
Handlebars: 322g
Seat post: 244g
Hardware pack: about 260g (I still had it in the box balled up with shipping tape)

I'm quite anxious for how mine will looked like
he never sent me the pict of my painted frame and the frame almost arrived
i bet painting in your local shop would be the best option and if someday i want to order again would prefered my local shop
which is maybe even has lower cost of painting

Btw that fork is heavy 466 gram w axle
about the seatpost i think could be tuned with carbon saddle clamp

jokage

« Reply #378 on: August 11, 2021, 09:52:28 PM »

That's definitely not red, nor any shade of red.

From the posts I've read here and on some other forums, I've made a conclusion that it's better to get one without a finish and bring it to a paint shop down the road if I am not sure about the actual color and paint I'd get -- sometimes, a can of spray paint is better. Photos might not be able to represent the paint accurately (things require calibration). If I ever wanted the vendor to paint it for me, at least I'd need have the Pantone code ready.

jokage

« Reply #379 on: August 12, 2021, 08:41:19 PM »
Finished the build last Saturday.

My first proper road bike, my first carbon frame. Nothing fancy.

I didn't build it myself. I brought most of the components to a bike shop in the neighborhood, and let the pro do it for me.

Everything is within expectation. I am satisfied with it, although I wish I had the patience to get the frame painted and to wait for some deeper wheels.

I had a concern that it would be too aggressive for me. It turned out that, with all of the supplied spacers, it's within my comfort. I could probably afford to remove the 0.5mm spacer.

1Sigma

« Reply #380 on: August 12, 2021, 10:01:07 PM »

I didn't build it myself. I brought most of the components to a bike shop in the neighborhood, and let the pro do it for me.

Everything is within expectation. I am satisfied with it, although I wish I had the patience to get the frame painted and to wait for some deeper wheels.

I had a concern that it would be too aggressive for me. It turned out that, with all of the supplied spacers, it's within my comfort. I could probably afford to remove the 0.5mm spacer.

Nice bike.  Excellent background

fattyrice

« Reply #381 on: August 12, 2021, 10:04:49 PM »

That's a really nice picture. How are the Juin brakes? I'm still debating between the full hydraulics of the R7020, or going with a set of Juin.

jokage

« Reply #382 on: August 12, 2021, 10:36:57 PM »
That's a really nice picture. How are the Juin brakes? I'm still debating between the full hydraulics of the R7020, or going with a set of Juin.

The reason I took the Juin was because I already have the brifters, and I didn't want to get another set of them. The Juin is a compromise.

I don't have any experience with a full hydro system, not even on MTB. On my previous bike, I used a set of Zoom Xtech calipers. The Juin is significantly better than those chiner calipers. They are smoother and have better modulation.

That's said, I am pretty sure that you'll get more satisfaction with a set of R7020.

AngelDust

« Reply #383 on: August 13, 2021, 04:25:49 AM »

Nice build mate
i will build mine soon, waiting for mine to be delivered within 2 days
anw is there any chance / possibility to change the dropbar?

Natas

« Reply #384 on: August 13, 2021, 07:06:26 AM »
Hello, I received yesterday my VB-R-168 and all was great.
Today, I started the build and I'm totally disappointed with how the handlebar is soft / flex
Take a look at the video https://www.casimages.com/v/lc6oMb-20210813-131911.mp4.html
For sure, personally and for my security, I will not ride with this handlebar.
So now, I should find and buy another handlebar more stiffer (Specialized / FSA / ???)
« Last Edit: August 13, 2021, 07:17:07 AM by Natas »

FHS

« Reply #385 on: August 13, 2021, 08:20:46 AM »
Wow, it looks like the stem is twisting, or, even like the stem hasn't been tightened. Never seen anything like that from the couple of Chinese integrated handlebars I've used.

Natas

« Reply #386 on: August 13, 2021, 08:51:59 AM »
Wow, it looks like the stem is twisting, or, even like the stem hasn't been tightened.
I confirm you that the stem and the expander are correctly tightened.
I sent a mail to Chris to have his point of view.

If you have any suggestion for good and stiff integrated stem/handlebar with internal cable routing from Aliexpress, please tell me

1Sigma

« Reply #387 on: August 13, 2021, 09:39:06 AM »
I confirm you that the stem and the expander are correctly tightened.
I sent a mail to Chris to have his point of view.

If you have any suggestion for good and stiff integrated stem/handlebar with internal cable routing from Aliexpress, please tell me

"The One" Handlebar is very well reviewed, but very pricey by Chinese carbon standards.
I've seen if often compared to the Metron Vision

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001836181533.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.132d632fQqjrZ9&algo_pvid=50e85bd8-aa39-4b84-9719-4dbf9305ed32&algo_exp_id=50e85bd8-aa39-4b84-9719-4dbf9305ed32-1&pdp_ext_f=%7B%22sku_id%22%3A%2212000017799246471%22%7D

Natas

« Reply #388 on: August 13, 2021, 09:59:55 AM »
"The One" Handlebar is very well reviewed, but very pricey by Chinese carbon standards.
I've seen if often compared to the Metron Vision

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001836181533.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.132d632fQqjrZ9&algo_pvid=50e85bd8-aa39-4b84-9719-4dbf9305ed32&algo_exp_id=50e85bd8-aa39-4b84-9719-4dbf9305ed32-1&pdp_ext_f=%7B%22sku_id%22%3A%2212000017799246471%22%7D
Thank you 1Sigma for this proposition, but the integration of the cables in the top headset will not be the best, it should be necessary to have an hole under the stem to have a perfect integration.
I saw that you have also received your frame, did you notice this flex on the handlebar?

OlieSimpson

« Reply #389 on: August 13, 2021, 10:20:06 AM »
Hello, I received yesterday my VB-R-168 and all was great.
Today, I started the build and I'm totally disappointed with how the handlebar is soft / flex
Take a look at the video https://www.casimages.com/v/lc6oMb-20210813-131911.mp4.html
For sure, personally and for my security, I will not ride with this handlebar.
So now, I should find and buy another handlebar more stiffer (Specialized / FSA / ???)

Hi Natas,

Thanks for the video, interesting to see how flexible the bar is!

Do you know which model bar you received? Was it the HB010 or the HB 011?